Hexagon Fortress - organized matches

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

vov
Match Winner

Hexagon Fortress - organized matches

Post by vov »

Hi, I made settings and a new map for 3 team fortress with 6 axes recently. It's currently online at the "Wild West 3 Team Fortress" server for everyone to check out (thanks compguygene :D).
Anyways, I've thought of having some organized matches (mini-tourney kgo!) of it on Saturday the 21st, at 18:30 GMT where we get to see it in its full size (5v5v5).

Let's meet up at that time in #armagetron.tourneys on freenode (nobrainer access: http://www.hashpickup.net/webchat) and look what to do. I've thought pickup-like captains&teams, although pre-made teams can probably work too. All about the fun in the end! :D

P.S: if you want to try out the settings for yourself or if we need multiple servers:
RINCLUDE games/fort/hexagon_v4.cfg(http://www.trontimes.tk/repository/file ... gon_v4.cfg)
Single player is a crammed arena with a lot of bots to slap around, same physics though. :D
Durf
Match Winner

Re: Hexagon Fortress - organized matches

Post by Durf »

Tried it.
Personally I think 8 axes would be better (not only preferably for me, but overall a better axes setting for competition IMO).
I think it mostly has to do with even multiples of 2 (it's easy for people to imagine their directions when its halfway in between the axes they already know, but 6 axes not only puts you in weird directions, but some of the original 4 axes aren't there anymore).

Regardless, I enjoyed it. Too bad I didn't get to play 5v5v5 though.

Another issue I had with it was that it's kind of low rubber for that many axes with that high of cycle delay (again IMO), which ends up making it harder to actually play (can't focus on trying to win when you're focusing too much on trying to survive). I'm not sure if I would increase the rubber or decrease the cycle delay, but it reminded me of one of the bonus maps on tunnel trouble (the only one that is chico) and afaik nobody completed it yet (because it's that much harder ust because of an axes change).
Still though, there's nothing saying I can't just learn to cope with that; but for the expectations already set by fortress servers, this new server gave me these impressions.

Still fun, would like to try it when it's full sometime.
vov
Match Winner

Post by vov »

Most of that is intentional, I already bumped the rubber regeneration up a bit as well. I'll maybe try around with a bit lower regeneration and higher rubber pool (rubber ~6, rubber_time ~10).
My process was mostly starting at the idea of 6 axes and 3 teams, and then making settings that feel better than the defaults. It is definitely "faster" and thus harder than normal fort, I don't know how to make it significantly more friendly to newbies than a "regular" fort server. Maybe some kind of respawns far away from the zone to not interfere immediately with the fortress action? Which would limit server choices to sty, but could be an option for a more casual server.

Also a tip: there are more brakes here. ;)
And the 5v5v5 will hopefully happen saturday!
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

I disagree with Durf. your server doesn't suck, it just will never be as good as Durf pretends it will be.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Cadillac_
Average Program

Post by Cadillac_ »

Durf wrote:Personally I think 8 axes would be better (not only preferably for me, but overall a better axes setting for competition IMO)

I actually prefer 6 axes to 8 greatly

Hope i can make saturday :D
vov
Match Winner

Post by vov »

The settings are new and available for everyone, you can all try around with it and come up with better stuff of course! This is just my version. I don't know myself if it is perfectly tuned, so I won't stop listening to feedback just yet.

Slightly off-topic:
The "respawns but far away from the zone" idea could be good for a regular fortress casual server too and would be even better there since we know better how the rest of normal fort works -- see below. :-)

Code: Select all

Idea: normal fort zones&spawns somewhat like this, enable respawns if wanted:
|         < |
|     o     |
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
If done with good distances and positions: No need for tight grinds, no need for a certain speed to block, easy unobstructed defense setup,
and optional respawns without being unfair. Fortress, casual version.
Durf
Match Winner

Post by Durf »

@Lucifer: I never at any point said that the server sucked, I even said I enjoyed it. (wtf is wrong with you?)
My suggestions are like anyone else's (wtf are you talking about "pretending"?); what's the problem?

@vov, yea I noticed some settings were different; something weird about the acceleration...maybe we were decelerating less, making for (on average) faster speeds.
I think the biggest killer (way people die) is the cycle delay; I feel like it should be a bit smaller to account for things like "the extra turns it would take just to make a Uturn".
I'm not saying it should necessarily be changed, I could just deal with it and get used to it; but if it's a problem that people can't get used to the axes, I think a smaller cycle delay would at least help them out in "not dying".

Also, I like the alternate spawn points idea for fortress! +1
(I've dabbled with the spawn point positions before, but not like that; I like it)