Localized Strings

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

We seem to have alot of Spanish players, but no Spanish translation. Can anyone recruit someone?
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Hmmm, I'll ask when I see. Maybe we can get Blade Runner to stop running for a few minutes and give up a translation?

If all else fails, I can probably throw one together with a spanish dictionary. I know enough of syntax and grammar in spanish to get away without making an All your base translation, but a native speaker would do a much better job. :) (and be able to include all the accents and stuff)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

I could theoretically do it, but things may come out crazy sounding. I think a native speaker should do it. (One that understands both english and spanish very well. I understand english well, but I really do think I'd make a botch of the spanish. "/1 fuera matado a /2 por /3 puntos" etc.)
Walking Tree
Match Winner

Post by Walking Tree »

as you're talking about accents: how well are non-ASCII characters supported ? Is there
a default character set ? which ?
And why can't I enter letters like 'ä' in the chat ? can this be changed ? [ where would I
have to look if I wanted to do it myself ? ]
klax
Project Developer

Post by klax »

I started one time ago while ""working"" in the afternoons at my old job.
It's from April and very incomplete.
I'll try to recruit spanish people to help me ;)

Accents aren't a problem in spanish (lot of people write without them), but the letter ñ is a problem :s

Edit: deleted posted very old and incomplete spanish.txt. Now in cvs there is a new one almost completed.
Last edited by klax on Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

All non-ASCII characters are currently eaten by the networking system, Jonathan and Nemo found out that they may cause problems (Don't ask me why they should; Jonathan was able to do something bad to Nemo's server by sending them). And the input routines don't let non-ASCII characters through either; that filter is in uMenu.cpp, look for c.unicode if you want to play with it.
But locally, in the language files, all characters that are present in the fonts textures can be used.
I'll push up an update for the French accents shortly. The charset is the egocentric ISO Latin 1, but in the long run, we should be switching to Unicode with UTF-8 encoding in the files.
Luke-Jr
Dr Z Level

Post by Luke-Jr »

z-man wrote:in the long run, we should be switching to Unicode with UTF-8 encoding in the files.
How are we going to pull that off, I'm wondering :/
There's a number of users using non-ASCII characters right now :(
Walking Tree
Match Winner

Post by Walking Tree »

yeah... like 'Döner' and 'löcotus'...
I don't know much about how armagetron works at the moment, but switching to unicode
could be done by creating special unicode servers where old clients are immediately kicked.
New clients would forbid unicode on old servers.
That could be a clean (but very painful) solution.
Anyway, who am I to discuss the future of a armagetron when I haven't even (properly)
looked at the source code :wink:
Luke-Jr
Dr Z Level

Post by Luke-Jr »

Walking Tree wrote:yeah... like 'Döner' and 'löcotus'...
I don't know much about how armagetron works at the moment, but switching to unicode
could be done by creating special unicode servers where old clients are immediately kicked.
New clients would forbid unicode on old servers.
That could be a clean (but very painful) solution.
Anyway, who am I to discuss the future of a armagetron when I haven't even (properly)
looked at the source code :wink:
Well, I guess in theory we could assume "pre-3.0 = Latin1 thing and 3.0+ = UTF-8"...
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

Walking Tree wrote:yeah... like 'Döner' and 'löcotus'...
Not needed. UTF-8 is ASCII in the low half and extends it in the high half, so it's already almost 100% compatible. If a new version receives something from an old version it can easily convert characters in the high half to UTF-8. When sending something to an old version it can convert characters that exist in the old set, and replace/ignore others.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
Walking Tree
Match Winner

Post by Walking Tree »

Jonathan wrote:Not needed. UTF-8 is ASCII in the low half and extends it in the high half, so it's already almost 100% compatible. If a new version receives something from an old version it can easily convert characters in the high half to UTF-8. When sending something to an old version it can convert characters that exist in the old set, and replace/ignore others.
do you meen that the unicode-aware server functions as a character set translator in
that it converts UTF-8 to ISO-8859-1 as good as possible for old clients and alt least tells
the unicode-aware client that it's recieving ISO-8859-1 characters ?

that would indeed be a better solution, but before worrying about
inter-version communication, displaying unicode (read: japanese) could be a challenge...
Luke-Jr
Dr Z Level

Post by Luke-Jr »

Jonathan wrote:Not needed. UTF-8 is ASCII in the low half and extends it in the high half, so it's already almost 100% compatible.
UTF-8 encompasses ASCII, correct, so it's 100% backward compatible... however, many people are relying on ISO-8859-1 encoding, which isn't.
Jonathan wrote:If a new version receives something from an old version it can easily convert characters in the high half to UTF-8. When sending something to an old version it can convert characters that exist in the old set, and replace/ignore others.
You mean when the server is new, I assume... As far as non-ISO-8859-1 characters, I think the standard behaviour is to convert them to "?".
Walking Tree wrote:do you meen that the unicode-aware server functions as a character set translator in that it converts UTF-8 to ISO-8859-1 as good as possible for old clients and alt least tells the unicode-aware client that it's recieving ISO-8859-1 characters ?
Converts, most likely. It's not very complicated ;)
Walking Tree wrote:that would indeed be a better solution, but before worrying about
inter-version communication, displaying unicode (read: japanese) could be a challenge...
Nothing displays all unicode. Most of the characters aren't even defined, IIRC...
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

Luke-Jr wrote:
Jonathan wrote:Not needed. UTF-8 is ASCII in the low half and extends it in the high half, so it's already almost 100% compatible.
UTF-8 encompasses ASCII, correct, so it's 100% backward compatible...
Yes.
however, many people are relying on ISO-8859-1 encoding, which isn't.
Including Armagetron (OK OK, Armagetron is not people) which I meant with "it" above.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
Walking Tree
Match Winner

Post by Walking Tree »

Luke-Jr wrote:
Walking Tree wrote:that would indeed be a better solution, but before worrying about
Nothing displays all unicode. Most of the characters aren't even defined, IIRC...
Good point ;) but japanese would be cool...
but, latin-type accents have higher priority since we have any spanish, french, german and
pollish (not ISO-8859-1 afaik) players (and a few swedish ones )
klax
Project Developer

Post by klax »

Almost complete spanish.txt commited to cvs ;)
I trashed the old one. This time I mixed some translations from english and some from french, and I believe the result is quite good.

All day working in this uff (I heard lot of music while translating hehe)
Tomorrow I'll change of discography and I'll finish it.