Sumo Bar Tournament {9} Holiday Special #2!

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

Ritsuka
Round Winner

Re: Sumo Bar Tournament {9} Holiday Special #2!

Post by Ritsuka »

I got your back dylan
orion
Match Winner

Post by orion »

Ritsuka wrote:I got your back dylan
dirty
Gazelle
Match Winner

Post by Gazelle »

yay rits! let me know when you are free to do this with me, preferably Saturday, give some people some time to decide if they can actually play or not.
biasoner
Average Program

Post by biasoner »

I have to back out. Got called into work. Will try to remove from wiki if I still can. -tRonPaul
Gazelle
Match Winner

Post by Gazelle »

I can't do this today, I have a lot of shit I have to take care of that just popped up out of nowhere, Rits or anyone if you'd be willing to complete this, It would be much appreciated.

Just brackets and authentication file
vov
Match Winner

Post by vov »

As the host for the config file seems to be down, can someone give me a copy of the SBT config? (previous tourneys' server owners should have a copy generated via RINCLUDE)
I'll put it on the trontimes repo (and probably here) then so we have it for this and future events.

I'll generate the auth file at 19:00GMT (in ~1h) so we have that already.

For brackets the first round here with currently 37 players would have some 4-groups advancing immediately to round 2 and a lot of "4 of 5 advance". What about condensing it to 3x8 starting in round 2 immediately and 2x7 in round 1? Some might call it lucky/unlucky to play one more round or start later but it would feel more like a true sumobar match.

Edit: woops, see page 2 of thread; the config is already there. Thanks, kyle!
I'll edit it a bit so "cody is admin" no longer stands in the map file as requested.
Edit2: well kyle already did that. Awesome!
karas
Average Program

Post by karas »

I can do brackets if nobody opposes. For EU, 8 players will start in "Second Round" with 4 joining in "Semifinals" and for US 24 players will start in "First Round" and from last group 7 will advance to "Second Round" with the extra one(s) joining then. This way all sumo matches will be with 8 players. Yea, I know some will join later but most sumo tournaments are just for 1st place (taking transitivity into account), so it doesn't really matter if you play in semi-finals/finals etc if you don't win (or in sbt case finish in top 4 :D). I don't think waiting is a big problem, idk.

I will use Knuth shuffle to generate the brackets : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisher%E2% ... es_shuffle
Gazelle
Match Winner

Post by Gazelle »

Why not combinel players?
vov
Match Winner

Post by vov »

I was thinking of having both sides joined (37 -> 3x8@Round2 + 2x7@Round1); let's have gaz as the official host decide. Yes the NA/EU division would go down the drain but on the positive sides we'd have full rounds too. I'd be fine with either but I don't have time to play anyways.
karas
Average Program

Post by karas »

I don't think it's cool to ask players where they want to play and then just ignore it because you don't care :P

I know I made a survey for this but so far only 13 players voted so idk, I might post results anyway. For tst 7 players voted for EU/US separation (more than 50%).
Gazelle
Match Winner

Post by Gazelle »

You are right karas.. but for the sake of fun, it might be better to combine both sides..
karas
Average Program

Post by karas »

I don't understand why it isn't fun the way I posted :P The only problem I found is with no-shows. This might be a big problem for some, for example we can have 8 players to show in "Second Round" and less than 8 in "Semifinals" and it's too hard to tell players to take an if-then-else approach :)

I will shuffle both lists, US and EU separately at 1:15 AM GMT and post results.

Edit:

OK, here it is http://codepad.org/6Uk7zh5A
If you can't read code, just skip to the Output section. Tell me if anything is wrong.

Here are my 2 solutions (on EU example, since it's easier) :

Solution 1 :

Second Round :

bilbobaggins@ct/junior
matchbox53@forums
wap@forums
newbie@forums
Xyron@forums
misterplayer@forums
TheNate@forums
Gonzap@forums

Semifinals :

steasy@forums
shady@forums
TheRealTweezy@forums
3B3B3B@forums

+ the top 4 from first game

Like I said, if players don't show, or if everyone shows up but more EU players want to join this would suck.

Solution 2 :

Second Round (1) :

bilbobaggins@ct/junior
matchbox53@forums
wap@forums
newbie@forums
Xyron@forums
misterplayer@forums

Second Round (2) :

TheNate@forums
Gonzap@forums
steasy@forums
shady@forums
TheRealTweezy@forums
3B3B3B@forums

4 players advance, like usual. It's better if players don't show up or if others want to join, but first match is only with 6 players.

If nobody will oppose/say anything I will use solution 1 (I guess it's good as an experiment, since there are so few players anyway) and fill wiki brackets tomorrow. Someone else please deal with the servers.
Gazelle
Match Winner

Post by Gazelle »

Use solution 1, thx karas.. do we have enough servers? I believe we had 5 or 6 from what Cody said.
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

as of now you still need 2 more US, as mine 2 US and 1 EU servers were the only ones up when i went to check.
karas
Average Program

Post by karas »

Done. Whoever takes care of the servers should change server info on brackets. On Server 03 USA 7 players will advance to the next round. If however there are no-shows and jofish is present, they can proceed with "Second Round" and top 4 will advance in "Semifinals". Same should happen for EU.