Ladle 86

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

Gonzap
Shutout Match Winner

Re: Ladle 86

Post by Gonzap »

I've never done it before that's why I didn't update the brackets. How do you do it? Is there a code or it's easier than that?

EDIT: I just checked and it looks simple, I'll do it from now on.
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Titanoboa »

For the disconnection (empty grid) bug/glitch, I use the same version as Magi does apparently: 0.4_alpha_z2069
Same symptoms as poke & the rest. The first time it happened I stayed for a few seconds to try and let the opponents know what happened before rejoining, which led them to believe I was faking it or something >_>.

What do we do in the future if something like this happens? I'm talking in-game, about scores and server and whatnot. We lost 30 points the first time 4 of our players disconnected, that's a huge deal in a ladle match. Some kind of score reset would seem fair in my opinion but it raises questions about where the limit is (3 or more players d/c?) and there's practical issues too (how could we possibly grant /slap access to team leaders? could potentially go bad).

The reason being that it was caused by something none of us on the team could really effect, we had to keep playing and disconnecting and losing lots of points.

------------------------------------------------------

And for the wiki/brackets, I suspect that making the losing team update brackets just won't work in reality, because they lack motivation. It's really no problem for one of the players (or subs if there are any) on the winning team to do it. I've done it for years on various teams and not once has it stalled the next game, even when the opponents were waiting in the server ready to play.

It takes about 30 seconds if you already have the right tab open in your browser and you're logged in etc. In fact why don't I make a crash course.

ok, done: http://wiki.armagetronad.org/index.php/Bracket_Tutorial

If you can improve it somehow, feel free to. Assuming it's actually an improvement :) Maybe I'm over-explaining something or you have a quicker way. Maybe you want to change my wording or phrasing to make it better. Feel free.

I left a link to it on the operations page of the ladle challenge board. If the link shouldn't be there, feel free to (re)move it.
theo
Round Winner

Post by theo »

Titanoboa wrote:What do we do in the future if something like this happens? I'm talking in-game, about scores and server and whatnot. We lost 30 points the first time 4 of our players disconnected, that's a huge deal in a ladle match. Some kind of score reset would seem fair in my opinion but it raises questions about where the limit is (3 or more players d/c?) and there's practical issues too (how could we possibly grant /slap access to team leaders? could potentially go bad).
Slap/hug is not an issue here.

Poke asked to reset the scores, everyone else in R said no. If captains asked me, I would have done it.

I don't know what's the limit. But common sense would dictate that if it happens, any captain would be allowed to as for a score reset.
takburger
Match Winner

Post by takburger »

I see the match going wrong, captain on TS say : all shift+esc we start over again !

I think there should be a reset but with some securities
theo
Round Winner

Post by theo »

The score is 90-0 for blue. Gold decides to simulate the bug (ie: going straight and not shift+esc).

We reset the score to 90-0. It didn't do anything except delaying the ladle.
Magi
Match Winner

Post by Magi »

Well a bunch of people on R teamspeak were talking about it, asking if we should ask for a score reset. We were still winning at the time and I didn't think it was a big enough of a deal so I just told everyone to drop it and focus on the match, it was still early and I had confidence in our team that we wouldn't let something like that set us back. Of course the score was like, 40-10 when it happened so it'd be different if it was like, 90-70 and our entire team but 2 crash and the other team gets to 100 before we all get back. Then I could see some drama and conflict coming in, I just didn't want to cause any unnecessary drama that match.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

bye
Hoax
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Hoax »

While I agree that the bracket scores should be updated and they usually are, the emphasis being placed on them here is the real disappointment. Does it really matter if we know that a team won 2-1 or 2-0. We don't even have screenshots of each match.
If we really care about records the challenge board should at least reflect actual events. This has bugged me for years especially as it's the basis for most stat keeping.
We could start distinguishing players who actually played, whilst still keeping players who were originally listed on the board. Removing them entirely seems wrong especially since it affects the bowl. The only other distinction could be showed up vs no show (italics maybe).
Anyway I've edited Sp's team to reflect this and welcome any other input aesthetic or practical.

Also thanks Kyle for hosting the backup NY server it was well received :done: (didn't use any others)
theo
Round Winner

Post by theo »

Servers stats updated.
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Titanoboa »

Note that I didn't want to focus on the past at all in my previous post. I'm wanting to fix future issues where the circumstances are less fortunate. Say it's the end of a close match and there's no admin in sight. If we make some sort of rule to deal with this bug (best would be if someone with the know-how were able to fix it), then we also need to be able to enforce this rule. That's why /slap is an issue.

Magi made the decision as team leader not to officially ask to reset the scores so there's no debate there.
Nanu Nanu
Core Dumper

Post by Nanu Nanu »

Kinda forgot nobody is doing these anymore, will try to put them up much sooner

Stats:
ladle_stats_86.xls
(55 KiB) Downloaded 147 times
Prema wrote:The second match starts, a new beginning,
Nanu and Prema, Sui and Ninja,
versus those same old hoes grinning.