Ladle 86

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

theo
Round Winner

Re: Ladle 86

Post by theo »

Titanoboa wrote:
Magi wrote:
kyle wrote:I have an idea as to why CT USA had some trouble,
Okay, cool! We also had the same crash happen once in Theo's where 4-5 players would d/c at a time
Exactly the same players, as far as I can remember, if that's of importance.

We will be able to confirm who was disconnected from kyle's with the records from z-man. And see if it matches kyle's logs.

The records won't be available from FR3.

Here are the relevant logs from FR3 : http://paste.debian.net/124732/

So it seems like ppotter timeouted between rounds 1 and 2.
Then _~<^v{}v^>~_, DGM, Magi, metal, Titan and Poke (and two spectators) timeouted between rounds 4 and 5.
The next round, 3 spectators were having network issue. 2 disconnected (or quit) and one kept having the issue during 4 more rounds (and then quit).

What would be nice to know:
* If kyle got similar logs
* If all players could confirmed whether they were disconnected or not, to see if my list is accurate (which mean that people not listed here should also confirm they weren't disconnected).
* If all players could tell what version they are using (and try to find a correlation between disconnected players that does not work with non-disconnected players)
* If all disconnected players closed their client after the black screen (and if so, just a nice close or a brutal kill from the tasklist) or if they were disconnected?

As far as the route theory, it seems unlikely. We have US people being disconnected as well as titan and 2 german players (while other US or ger players were fine).
Last edited by theo on Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

at quick glance i do have similar logs with mostly the same players and a few others.
theo
Round Winner

Post by theo »

One other thing:

Red, jericho, newbÎe, UFO and koala are listed on the netobject lines. But I don't think they were disconnected.

I'm not sure why we see lines like this:

Code: Select all

1029 [20] User 18 does not know about netobject 11762 ( gCycle nr. 11762 owned by ePlayerNetID nr. 12505, name _~R~_Red ).
1030 [20] User 18 does not know about netobject 11761 ( gCycle nr. 11761 owned by ePlayerNetID nr. 12298, name _~R~_Magi ).
1031 [20] User 18 does not know about netobject 11760 ( gCycle nr. 11760 owned by ePlayerNetID nr. 14250, name _~<^v{}v^>~_ ).
1032 [20] User 18 does not know about netobject 11759 ( gCycle nr. 11759 owned by ePlayerNetID nr. 12124, name _~R~_Titanoboa* ).
At this point, user 18 was vov and user 20 was pikey. Only the 3rd line makes sense to me.
Gonzap
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Gonzap »

congratulations R!
theo
Round Winner

Post by theo »

There are several assumptions I would like people to confirm or infirm:

* This happened for the first time during a brawl
* Then it happened several brawl in a row, but never during a ladle.
* Then it starting happening during ladles like 2/3 moths ago.
* It is not happening during other modes (pickups, public ctf, etc.)
Magi
Match Winner

Post by Magi »

In CT USA's my client's screen would go black at round start so I would instantly leave server and try to join back quickly. Then the moment I was back in the Server list and tried joining CT USA, both times my client crashed and I had to reopen it. In Theo's it went black screen but I was able to rejoin the server without my client crashing.

Below is my client version

Also as Nub said the brackets are incomplete, if someone from Speeders/Serendipity/Cubed2/Serendopeity/Sparks/Wild West could tell us their match scores so we can finish the brackets, it would be much appreciated.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

bye
PokeMaster
Match Winner

Post by PokeMaster »

Thanks to all who had a hand in organizing this!

My experience: When those incidents happened, the round would start for me, but there would be no cycles on the grid, so my camera just kept statically pointed at an empty grid. I manually disconnected, reloaded server list, and chose the server again, and that would fix my issue (until the next one arose). I did not have to kill tron. (If it's worth anything, I'm running it on OS X).

My client version is 0.2.8.3.1
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Upload of the recordings may take a couple of days. We have a bit of an annoying situation at home requiring work (fridge is half broken) and I'll leave on a business trip very early Wednesday morning. So no skipping sleep. Either I find some time tonight or it'll have to wait for Thursday.
Magi
Match Winner

Post by Magi »

Z-Man wrote:Upload of the recordings may take a couple of days. We have a bit of an annoying situation at home requiring work (fridge is half broken) and I'll leave on a business trip very early Wednesday morning. So no skipping sleep. Either I find some time tonight or it'll have to wait for Thursday.
I'm sure most of us can wait until Thursday :D Thanks for recording as always Z-Man

bye
vov
Match Winner

Post by vov »

I got the same experience/description as poke; empty grid, no zones, no cycles, static cam.
From experiencing in CTF (I'm quite sure it's the same error); chat still works (sending and receiving as well as server messages) and the scoreboard is not updated on joins (don't remember if leavers or scores do).

Client version: latest v0.4 (r1537) on windows running in borderless window / windowed fullscreen using AI's patch as modification, shouldn't be the cause of this though
Same error happened on older v0.4s on CTF too (last client version I can remember was about a year old, idk what I used before).
vov
Match Winner

Post by vov »

Kyle just had the idea that we should add a clear rule to who fills out the bracket (probably losing team because they aren't in a hurry to switch servers and get ready?) so it gets easier to remember to do it.
I'd agree with that, should be doable since at least the team captains do have the wiki accounts they signed up their teams with. And it's not too hard and takes like 2 minutes. Anyone with other suggestions to this?
theo
Round Winner

Post by theo »

If there is a rule, I think the winning team should be the one responsible to update the wiki.

The losing team is more likely to have fast rq. And if a team doesn't show, there is not even a losing team, only a winning team.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

theo wrote:If there is a rule, I think the winning team should be the one responsible to update the wiki.
There is a rule... kind of. This lack of updating is a periodic problem. The last time it happened I wrote in the operations page: "Team Leaders should update the wiki with match results as they move through the brackets." Of course, this is less of a rule and more of a statement of actual practice since responsible, courteous teams generally update the wiki. Sometimes Ladle enthusiasts will take charge, but it is often difficult to track down 1st & 2nd round teams who get eliminated and leave blank scores. As usual, the best way to stop this from happening is public shaming.
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

See i think its more of teams wondering who should step up and do it, If we say who needs to do it, I feel there should be some more obligation to that team and prevents both teams from thinking that the other team should update it.

Now as to who should do it, I think the loosing team should be in charge unless there is a no show. Why I argue the loosing team, this keeps the winning team from progressing quickly and maybe for once the ladle could be completed at the correct time. Kidding about it being on time, but still it does take time away from them moving onto the next team to be played, If the winning team has to update it. Also they could wait till the end, but by then it is late and it is the last thing they want to think about. The only case that they winners will have time is when there is a no show, or if other match is delayed.

But like i said, it think making someone accountable for it is more or less what is needed. then the public shaming can be directed accordingly :P
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »