GID's & the Ladle

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

Ratchet
Match Winner

GID's & the Ladle

Post by Ratchet »

For the sole purpose of not derailing this thread, I've started a new one merely to ask a question and get feedback.

Would it be unrealistic to start requiring everyone that plays in the ladle to be signed up on the challenge board, and additionally requiring everyone to register their global ID's to be put in the authorities file?

Benefits:
- The obvious: only allowed GID's could play
- Less possibility of failure of the system
- We can more easily keep track of everyone in terms of ladle statistics (from this point onward, at least) since even though people change clans and names, they likely don't change GID's

Drawbacks:
- A more bulky challenge board page (with everyone's GID's in the team list)
- Someone could still play for someone else by being entrusted with their login and password to play for them (a problem that currently has no prevention)
- It would mean NO outside substitutes*, you MUST be on the ladle challenge board to play (or we could require a Global Moderator to approve this player and their GID)

*Unless, to accompany this change, we created a "substitute pool" for the interested players that aren't sure if they'll be able to make it or not to the tournament. We could include these players in the authorities file.

Obviously this can be quickly shot down, and there are probably many more benefits and flaws than I've listed. It may not deserve its own thread, but I didn't think trying to gather opinions in the other thread was appropriate. The only way to improve is to introduce dumb ideas and see if they stick.

There are endless ways to get around a ladle ban, so keep in mind this is only a slight step up in security if it seems fitting to go forth with. Presently, as Vogue has shown, using another player's GID (or a fake GID) is very easy to do. Teams could willfully allow a banned player on their team by signing up a fake GID for a banned player to use.

"Dream as if you'll live forever,
Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean
Monkey
Match Winner

Re: GID's & the Ladle

Post by Monkey »

You beat me to it Ratchet! I was going to post the same idea, with its pros and cons. Great minds think alike eh :P

Call me pedantic but, personally speaking, I'd prefer it if we only allowed @forums GIDs. This way there can only be one of each name...might make it a little easier to spot fraud.
Playing since December 2006
Hoax
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Hoax »

Previous @ladle idea for reference
Gonzap
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Gonzap »

ct-wise I think we can spot a fake GID way easier than the "forums" one. I mean, I see those names everyday when they post so I would probably distinguish a fake teammate GID if they log in @ct. I guess it's the same for the rest of clans.

Also, we separate our members as ct/junior, ct/senior, etc. so it's easy to recognize a fake GID when you press /players.
Agility
Core Dumper

Post by Agility »

Ct does have a nice way of doing it, very efficient.
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

Hoax wrote:Previous @ladle idea for reference
too bad i don't have time for that anymore :P

Another few cons to adding them to challenge board, 1/2 the time team leaders don't have their GID's correct, meaning more incorrect GID's. Also the script that grabs them out would have to be changed a lot to get players separated from leaders.

finally locking to @forums probably would not have helped in the issue from ladle 84.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

The bans are largely symbolic. We all know that there are limitations to our resources and manpower. We also know there will always be holes to exploit. I would have to say our current method is sufficient enough. Think of it this way; if Vogue's best effort was to play for a losing team through a proxy, well, that's pretty pathetic and doesn't seem like very much fun. Meanwhile she has increased the length of her inconvenience, the awareness of the community, and the number of yawns at her actions.

It would be nice to have an airtight system. But we don't need @ladle, the FSU, or any other system. We just need to keep doing what we are doing, standing united, working together for the love of the game.
takburger
Match Winner

Post by takburger »

Thats a very good idea Ratchet, however Sine has a very strong point here.
Venijn
Round Winner

Post by Venijn »

takburger wrote:Thats a very good idea Ratchet, however Sine has a very strong point here.
Click. Image
Ratchet
Match Winner

Post by Ratchet »

Fair enough, I don't disagree :D Just something that popped into mind that I figured someone may like the idea of. Doesn't hurt my feelings at all! Thanks for the feedback :)
"Dream as if you'll live forever,
Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

I don't think it's worth the effort, seeing as we only really have one "problem" player. That said, we could always try cross-auth with the wiki. Players wanting to sign up would have to sign in on the wiki and vet themselves. Then that woul...

No. Just thought about it. Not worth it.

For anyone wishing to understand what I mean, go look at http://braveineve.com. The authentication process goes from game, to site, to mumble and so on. It all requires a vetted identity from the game, without which the user cannot access resources.