Sumo Bar Tournament 8 - Servers Needed!

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

Gazelle
Match Winner

Re: Sumo Bar Tournament 8 - Servers Needed!

Post by Gazelle »

good matches guys, and thanks!

Had fun, thanks to Rits for getting this started and for everyone else who helped.. #USA, we still run shit. :P
Magi
Match Winner

Post by Magi »

gms everyone, gz gaz

I believe hall recorded the finals
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

bye
Overrated
Match Winner

Post by Overrated »

Good games everyone! It was fun-ish for me. I played absolutely dreadful throughout the entire thing, and after advancing after the second round I had purely no desire to play in it afterwards. I had no reason to advance after my terrible play and felt bad that Lightning did not; although it did provide an absolutely hilarious moment.

To clarify, Soul killed me early on in quarters, last round. and Lightning stayed alive until the bitter end, Gaz killed his way around and appeared to give the zone to him at the very end, and instead of finding a way to stay inside the zone (later realized he didn't know he HAD to stay in the zone for full points), he only received half and lost by 13 points to advance!

Congrats Gaz.
BRAWL dead. RIP.

Fort is like a box of knives, you never know when you're going to be cut.
rev
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by rev »

Cadillac_ wrote:Looking at the brackets I noticed some issues with the EU second round sections, I noticed wap and rev (maybe others) seemed to be in wrong sections, I would fix but I don't know who played where
Me and wap switched servers because he had 850 ping in Cookie's NL (and I only had 7-12).
GGs guys, somewhat proud of reaching semis. When I got there I hoped I could reach finals but wap, xyron, karas, and krikio were just outright better. Gz gaz, you played horribly well!
karas
Average Program

Post by karas »

I wrote an article for tron times about SBT that describes what happened in the matches I played. Since I don't have that much time to wait and see if they post it or not, I'll just post it here (it seems they just posted the final results, my guess is that nagi is either upset with his poor performance or venom doesn't like the fact that he is not that good at sumo :p). This probably belongs in a new topic (like "SBT Overvie") or on wiki, on a new page. So here we go :

I will cover 2nd EU bracket (Cookie NL) from start to finals (Lowkey USA). Soooo … I signed up as kane@aagid and this was kinda weird since some players knew who I was (I used same id in last tst and admitted I was karas) and some didn't. I don't remember everything exactly how it happened, and even some results might be incorrect, but overall it's a good approximation :d

First Round (Cookie NL - 2nd EU bracket) : karas, cyclo, rev (sasafras), krikio, nagi & bilbo baggins. Wap was supposed to play here as well but his ping was close to 1000 so he switched servers with sasafras. Roter didn't show. I had a good start, after few rounds score was 800-300 or so in my advantage. At that point something happened, not sure exactly what because I started dying in random tunnels at the start of each round. I knew I qualified for the second round so I was relaxed nevertheless. By the end of the match I think I just reached 1300 points and finished in 4th place :d I was caught slowly by sasafras, krikio and cyclo who passed me at some point. Even though Nagi had a good start (he was second for some time iirc) I don't know what happened to him, I guess he lost it at some point and the gap between him and me was too big for him to catch up. Bilbo did as usual, I guess he was very nervous so he started trolling to relax and laughed every time he died. I remember he had very low score by the end of the match, I would say around 300 but I can't remember exactly. I have to add that server was kinda poor for me and I was lagging a lot at some point, so I'd give it a -1. End results were (even though I'm not sure, I just remember I finished in 4th :d) :

1. sasafras 2. krikio 3. cyclo 4. karas 5. nagi 6. bilbo

Second Round (CT LIV) : karas, cyclo, sasafras, krikio, plee, soska, box, titan. I had a really bad start here :d After firsts rounds me, soska, plee and titan were fighting for bottom place :p I knew it won't be like this all match because me & soska will had to qualify and will start playing better at some point. However soska was the surprise of the match for me. He never started playing better. He probably had some rounds when he did OK, but that was it. Too bad he didn't make it, considering his recent sumo performance (finals in last sbt, finals last 2 tsts). The other surprise for me was box. Not only that he started really good, but he kept playing good and won the match with some advantage as well (wd box). At some point I tried harder and managed to get in top 4. After that I kept my mediocre style until the end. I think cyclo started good as well, but he lost it at some point and I was able to pass him. I passed sasafras too, and I think him and cyclo had some fights at the end for 4th place, while krikio stayed in his 2nd until the end (I noticed he had this pleasure to hunt me, it was a bit creepy :p) Plee played like I know he normally does, tunneling a lot and just attacking. However that is not a good sumo tournament strategy. He ended in one of the last 2 places, with score similar to titan (they were both last players). I don't remember how server was, I guess it was OK. Results :

1. box 2. krikio 3. karas 4. sasafras 5. cyclo 6. soska 7,8 : plee, titan

Semifinals (CT LIV) : box, krikio, karas, sasafras, wap, xyron, jericho, bellum. After a good start I kept my mediocre style. After first rounds wap and xyron got some advantage and were fighting for first place, but not for long. Wap got some really big advantage and managed to win with a huge score (like 3000 or so). Xyron said he played bad and ended up 2nd. Krikio passed me at some point and finished 3rd. Jericho caught me as well but after some rounds I managed to secure my 4th place :d I don't remember how sasafras and bellum did, I just remember box did really poor, probably lost his energy after that win in second round. Anyway, I think this is box and sasafras's first semifinal in a sbt, so gz to them (I might be wrong here :d).
Results :

1. wap 2. xyron 3. krikio 4. karas 5. jericho 6,7,8 : sasafras, bellum, box

Finals (Lowkey USA) : wap, xyron, krikio, karas, gazelle, kronkleberry, blondie, over. So this was the match I really wanted to win, not just finish in first 4. After all that mediocre gameplay I knew I could find the energy to win it, but oh well, guess I was wrong :d It seems you can't stop playing mediocre and be really pro out of a sudden that easily :P I started out really good. In the first part of the match (probably until round 6-7) me, wap, xyron and gazelle were fighting for first place. After that I really lost it. I was tunneling in random places, dying from stupid mistakes etc. After some time I think there was a gap between wap and gazelle, fighting for first, xyron who was in 3rd and another gap between him and me in 4th. I got kinda upset from these mistakes so I was swearing a lot :d In last part of the match I started playing better and managed to catch xyron and overtake him in last round. I don't really know what everyone else did because I was just focused on 1st place. Gazelle did really well, he played constantly good throughout the match (I noticed he had fast reaction time). He managed to kinda secure his win with one round before the end and finally he won. All in all, the final match was fun, I did play much better than previous games, but not as good as I expected. GZ to Gazelle for winning and ggs everyone :). Results :

1. gazelle 2. wap 3. karas 4. xyron 5,6,7,8 over, krikio, blondie, kronkleberry

PS: what is this max 10 smilies O_o
Nagi
Core Dumper

Post by Nagi »

nvm, not worth it
Venijn
Round Winner

Post by Venijn »

Nice article Karas, not sure what the attacks were about, I have a full time job and Nagi has a life. You post about us within 24 hours about an article you didn't submit properly. We have no record of that being sent to us (and that system works, we have checked it on numerous occasions after all the grief we have been getting,) or I would have published it before work this morning. I would suggest you didn't do it right.

Once again, I find myself apologising for something I don't feel is quite fair. Sigh.

I would add that we are keen for people to write about competitions, the result summary wouldn't have been posted if we had actually received your article.
Click. Image
karas
Average Program

Post by karas »

Oook, like I said, I was in a hurry to publish this so yea, it's my bad if you really didn't receive what I wrote and I'm sorry. I did the same thing I did when I wrote that joke article and you received it back then just fine. It's just weird :P
theo
Round Winner

Post by theo »

karas wrote:End results were (even though I'm not sure, I just remember I finished in 4th :d) :

1. sasafras 2. krikio 3. cyclo 4. karas 5. nagi 6. bilbo
screenshot_231.png
karas wrote:Results :

1. wap 2. xyron 3. krikio 4. karas 5. jericho 6,7,8 : sasafras, bellum, box
screenshot_235.png

Also the lower 2nd round (after ogo & tweezy rqed)
screenshot_234.png
vov
Match Winner

Post by vov »

@compguy: totally agree on the player number being limited by lags; on my old laptop where I used to host a server at home it went goofy at >10 already. 10 is still more than 8 though! :D I previously saw some servers handle 12 quite stably as well.
It's still good if the player number is not limited by the map anymore though, the reason why I made it back then. Players spawning on top of each other, no bueno in sumo. And with the benefit of "if you need the tourney settings for practice, just max_players 8, limit_score 99999, limit_rounds whateveritisnow, glhfnohax". ;)