Shut the hell up.

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

kite
Average Program

Shut the hell up.

Post by kite »

I've been informed that this issue has been resolved, however, recent events have forced me to reconsider the trust I've put into the pickup staff. And assuming that they actually are taking this problem seriously, great. Even so, you guys can't always be there to settle problems that may arise. And therein lies the actual problem: With a few exceptions, I don't believe anyone who plays this game is so mentally retarded that they are incapable of practicing the basic, fundamental principles of respect toward each other, or settling a trivial dispute without having to resort to bringing an administrator into the situation to begin with.

I don't give a damn what a single person who replies to this thread with negativity has to say, so if you plan to respond with something stupid or insulting don't bother. I'm going to say what I need to say and then I'll have zero reason to view this thread at any point in the future.

It's as simple as this: You're either playing, or you aren't. If you are playing, shut up and play. If you aren't playing, shut up and allow those who ARE to focus on the match. Not only are you distracting people who actually want to play a decent game, you're breaking Pickup rules and regulations. Not to mention the fact that you're being incredibly selfish and disrespectful.

I can only hope that this opens a few eyes to the problem this is presenting for players who actually follow the rules of pickup. Hopefully the few that could care less about how they might be inconveniencing everyone else will realize that in the end, you're wasting people's time, and time is the one thing I refuse to let self-absorbed narcissists take away from me.

Shut up and play or get the **** out.
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Re: Shut the hell up.

Post by ConVicT »

You didn't end your rant properly, kite, it ends like this:
Attachments
images (2).jpg
images (2).jpg (3.79 KiB) Viewed 3201 times
Vogue
Match Winner

Post by Vogue »

wtf are you talking about
Gonzap
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Gonzap »

1st why is this in competitions? The only competition you're gonna win with this is "attention whore of the week".
2nd if you don't explain what you're talking about don't expect people to understand.
3rd it looks like you're calling out for some people but you don't even say who you are talking to. Have the guts to call names or take this to private. If you'reagainst a specific behaviour you need to point it out or nothing will change.
Ritsuka
Round Winner

Post by Ritsuka »

I'm going to break my promise not to post in this thread again simply because the level of stupid that ConVict has just exhibited only
supports my point.

@ConVict: What the hell is wrong with you? What malfunction in your brain would lead you to respond to a player's concern regarding the need to adhere to rules with a image that you know full well would be considered inappropriate, and therefore a violation of this site's user agreement? If people like you would just take 5 seconds to think before you act, then maybe JUST MAYBE this community would be worth a damn. "Why don't more people play Armagetron?" Because they take one look at people like you and conclude that the enjoyment this game is capable of producing is in no way commensurable with the crap they'd have to tolerate in the process.
kite
Average Program

Post by kite »

Gonzap wrote:1st why is this in competitions? The only competition you're gonna win with this is "attention whore of the week".
2nd if you don't explain what you're talking about don't expect people to understand.
3rd it looks like you're calling out for some people but you don't even say who you are talking to. Have the guts to call names or take this to private. If you'reagainst a specific behaviour you need to point it out or nothing will change.
I'd rather be an attention whore than a bigoted, intolerant person like you any day of the week Gonzap. What would you consider pickup if not a competition?

It's pretty clear what I'm talking about; people talk too much in pickup and they shouldn't. Can't you read?

I'm not here to call out names, the purpose of this thread isn't to create more drama, it's to hopefully find a solution to the issue at hand.
takburger
Match Winner

Post by takburger »

wtf??????
Gonzap
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Gonzap »

Looks like I'm not the only one who "can't read". Most people don't understand what you're moaning about.
Overrated
Match Winner

Post by Overrated »

Yes, these channels/servers are designed for pickup and pickup related actions. But... It's still a public channel for people to use. I don't see why people that are using that public channel offends anyone? If it was meant otherwise; there would be only specific commands said at all. It's a game; area, of fun. It was, at one point, in-game, where you couldn't even talk or you would be suspended, banned, etc. Not everyone plays just to play. They play to have fun (which talking is apparently to some people) ;).

As for the respect portion; yes some of what is said is disrespectful and rude. I can't argue with that. Especially chatting while people are picking teams. I understand that. Why does it matter to you though; aside from those few circumstances? You can still promote, play, etc.
BRAWL dead. RIP.

Fort is like a box of knives, you never know when you're going to be cut.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Given the recent recurring problems in pickup, would it be a good idea to shut down the servers and channel for an indefinite period until everyone remembers how to act appropriately? There are a lot of children in this game, so maybe some "grounding" is in order?
takburger
Match Winner

Post by takburger »

Ok guys, I got some backup from someone.

Apparently, some players were speaking in their own language during the pickup and it was not english.

Rits got mad and asked them to stop, they ignored him so he rq.

My opinion on that matter is the following:

Yes it can annoy people we speak another language than english. But understand us, we are tired of adding /msg nick every time. Also you're the english speaking people who have the luck to get all the internet in your own language. And we, most of the time, deal with it.

So, sorry for sometimes not respecting it, but I think you can understand it when you get calm.

A part from the language part, the talking: we are playing pickup to have competitive game, but to have fun with our internet pals as well, and we use to use the chat function for it. If it bothers you ... try using that /console command that disable chat, or to mute the people.

I can understand a no talk rule in ladle, but in pickup, nope.

No hard feelings rits.
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

Ritsuka wrote:I'm going to break my promise not to post in this thread again simply because the level of stupid that ConVict has just exhibited only
supports my point.

@ConVict: What the hell is wrong with you? What malfunction in your brain would lead you to respond to a player's concern regarding the need to adhere to rules with a image that you know full well would be considered inappropriate, and therefore a violation of this site's user agreement? If people like you would just take 5 seconds to think before you act, then maybe JUST MAYBE this community would be worth a damn. "Why don't more people play Armagetron?" Because they take one look at people like you and conclude that the enjoyment this game is capable of producing is in no way commensurable with the crap they'd have to tolerate in the process.
Replies like yours that make me laugh are why :lol:

EDIT: Honestly, HONESTLY, "Why don't more people play Armagetron?" that's because it has no advertisement, and hardly anyone that plays Arma even pay attention to these forums. IMO, If it weren't for the latest movie, there'd be no new players at all, unless by just simply word of nouth, I've tried to get around 10 people to play and only one person kept at it. Point being, not as many people play/continue to play because it's nowhere near as good as it must be for you/making it out to be.
Last edited by ConVicT on Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
Hoax
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Hoax »

'Keep chatting to a minimum'

Yet a couple of regular players advocating against this
If you bought product a you would expect to receive a, not b. Just like you wouldn't expect to play a pickup match with a constant stream of chat on your screen.

If it's not to have almost ladle like games, can someone explain the point of pickup matches
Gazelle
Match Winner

Post by Gazelle »

There is a silence button for a reason.

People are allowed to chat.

I think too many of you take this shit way to seriously, its almost the new norm to do pickups... There are no more reg matches. So just unwind a bit, you arent playing for money, and you arent playing in a tournament. Get your panties out of a bunch.
takburger
Match Winner

Post by takburger »

the point is to have 6players / teams (no more no less) with fair teams (sometimes) and people who play seriously. Nothing more, nothing less. Chat is something else.