Shovel 3

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

kite
Average Program

Shovel 3

Post by kite »

kite
Average Program

Re: Shovel 3

Post by kite »

I'm not hosting this anymore. if you guys want it to happen, do it yourselves
Fippmam
Round Winner

Post by Fippmam »

Love you too

xoxo No one likes sumo anyway
Soul
Match Winner

Post by Soul »

Sumo aint luck

:bdot: :bdot:
S0lutai
Average Program

Post by S0lutai »

Is it a big pain for someone to take this over? I mean servers are there, wiki page is there, settings are there. Do we need anything else?
A tragedy is commonplace but in the end they go away.
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Titanoboa »

S0lutai wrote:Do we need anything else?
Not really. I haven't taken a close look, but it appears to be organized just like the ladle. Since it's an appreciated tournament, I think some sumo enthusiasts should simply share the load. We can't expect some kind of sumo-sinewav to magically appear and make everything work on his own (we're really lucky he cares so much about the ladle).

I will help, kinda, by lazily* making sure the wiki is ok and by being global mod in the servers during the tourney (I don't really like playing tst anyway). Not as a server policeman, kicking and banning and silencing left and right, but as a helper trying to make the tournament flow smoothly.

* "Lazily" because I won't see it as my duty and I won't spend hours on it, but I'll take a look now & then and correct whatever mistakes I can find. In essence, I won't carry the heavy load (because I don't want to), but I will try to lighten it for the ones who do.

Cannot make it to shovel 3 though, because of Easter.
Titanoboa

Post by Titanoboa »

The biggest issue with shovel so far, in my opinion, has been (lack of) updating the brackets. However, achieving complete brackets (all scores included) isn't really difficult, it just relies on people doing their part (takes 2 minutes to report a score, then another 2 minutes for someone to add it to brackets).

We should really have a bunch of bracket managers: 5 or more people, who are playing or following the tournament, with an IQ high enough to create a wiki account on their own (d'oh, there goes half our player base). It's hardly any work at all, and there's always enough time between matches. There will be an irc channel where the bracket squad can easily communicate when needed, and players can report their scores.
Example:

Code: Select all

<Player 1> opening CT LIV score http://goo.gl/oet8Cu
  <Bracketeer 4> k, updating.
If you've updated brackets before, adding the results for one match and moving the winner(s) to the next round should take about one minute from the moment you click "edit" until you hit "submit". I timed myself, because I was curious: 57 seconds at a regular, stressless, lazy pace, including double-checking the scores and previewing before submitting, just like I'd do it during a tourney.
If you've never updated brackets before, it could take up to 5 minutes the first time (gasp, who has that much time on their hands), and after that, maybe 2-3 minutes per edit until you've done it a few dozen times. Probably faster though. Either way, you will usually have 3 minutes to spare while you're oh-so-busy waiting for that other match to finish.
And even if you only end up adding one single match to the brackets, you're still contributing enough.

Some opening rounds will inevitably end up with unknown scores, because some teams simply don't care about reporting their results. But with complete scores in finals, semis and >50% of the opening round, it will be a lot more fun to look back at old shovel results in a few years. It sucks that the first two are incomplete, and will be for all eternity.

Most of you are comfortable with irc already. All you need to do is open one more channel during the tournament:
#armagetron.shovel
Simply being present there as a player will help the flow of the tournament, because communication and not being out of reach is good. And whenever someone reports a score plenty of people, including you, will be available to add it to the brackets within a couple of minutes. You can also talk nonsense with other morons, should that please you.

You don't sign up for becoming a bracket manager and it won't bring you any praise or glory. You simply get on irc and add a match result if you happen to be free when it's reported.
Gazelle
Match Winner

Post by Gazelle »

kite wrote:I'm not hosting this anymore. if you guys want it to happen, do it yourselves
What! Why?!

:(
Cadillac_
Average Program

Post by Cadillac_ »

If I remember correctly, Rits wanted it to be community run, like ladle.

I wouldn't mind helping to reset the wiki, if some1 would show me the basics of clearing it, and moving stuff to the results page. I just usually can't be a mod on the day of the tourney.
S0lutai
Average Program

Post by S0lutai »

So you can't make it to the Shovel this month. Ok, I guess I have enough time to help with the basic stuff like adding scores to the wiki page, reporting scores, and any issues this tournament might need.
A tragedy is commonplace but in the end they go away.
Titanoboa

Post by Titanoboa »

S0lutai wrote:the basic stuff like adding scores to the wiki page, reporting scores,
The difference between doing that on your own and being a bunch of people doing it, is that when you're alone you have to do it actively for the entire tournament (that is, whenever a match is finishing, but you also need to keep track of which ones are about to finish). When you're a bunch of people, you get the same result with less effort, at least in the opening round.
Renegade
Core Dumper

Post by Renegade »

I wouldn't mind doing this, as I don't much like playing in these anyway. :mrgreen:
Gonzap
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Gonzap »

That's perfect, I mean, the best administrators are those who aren't involved in playing the tourney themselves.
Fate
Average Program

Post by Fate »

4/20 is Easter this year lol so I won't be able to participate and I'm expecting others to not be able to play either.
orion
Match Winner

Post by orion »

Since Shovel seems impossible to move because of Bowl-->Ladle-->Brawl then Shovel again. I will give my 2 cents and try make Brackets on Friday. I may remove my team soon because doubt i can make it and I dont expect lot more teams to make it so I propose make a shortered version with less Boxes depending the teams signed up (so less Bye spots).