Sumo Tournament Idea

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

wap
Round Winner

Sumo Tournament Idea

Post by wap »

Inspired by the (more or less) random teams of the FFA-tournament, I was thinking of doing something similar with the sumo game mode instead. The idea would be to have the tournament consist of maybe around 8-10 relatively short matches, each with a different teammate and different opponents. The settings will be the same as regular TST's, with a max score of around 1000 points.

Depending on how many people sign up and how many servers are available, the maximum number of people able to play will probably be 32, 40, or 48. Per 8 extra players, 1 extra server is needed.

After signups are closed, the formation of each team in every game will be decided through randomization.

The aim of this tournament would be to have an exciting matchup every game, with different players in a zone every match. The winner is the one who, in the end, has won most matches.

A few things to consider:

- I'm aware that it's possible for multiple players to 'win' in the end, what should be done about this?
- What number of matches would be best?
- Likewise, what max score would be best?

Hope you like the idea, what do you think?
Luiso
Average Program

Re: Sumo Tournament Idea

Post by Luiso »

wap wrote:A few things to consider:

- I'm aware that it's possible for multiple players to 'win' in the end, what should be done about this?

The winner would be the one who won when they faced each other.
Nice idea. :wink:
I am not responsible for the content of this message ;)
takburger
Match Winner

Post by takburger »

Some matches will be interesting, some other boring.

When I first read and saw FFA and sumo I thought something like WST with FFA picking style (each captain picks 2 players).
Cadillac_
Average Program

Post by Cadillac_ »

wap wrote:
A few things to consider:

- What number of matches would be best?
- Likewise, what max score would be best?

Sounds pretty cool, as for determining a single winner, the 8 players with the most won matches could be sent on to a reg. sumo match, where the 8 fight for the gold. Sounds hunger-gamesish idk I might be stupid.
woof
Round Winner

Post by woof »

Cadillac_ wrote:Sounds pretty cool, as for determining a single winner, the 8 players with the most won matches could be sent on to a reg. sumo match, where the 8 fight for the gold. Sounds hunger-gamesish idk I might be stupid.
This would be nice. Although I doubt there will be eight people tied for first place, however many people there are could be placed into an SBT match (probably not to 18 rounds because that might take too long) where the victor is the one who reaches a score/round limit first.
Gazelle
Match Winner

Post by Gazelle »

I think if its an odd number of ppl tied for first... then do SBT match...

If its like 2 people or 4 people.. Have them face off in 1v1 matches. And then the winner of the 1v1 finals is the ultimate winner of the tourney.
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Titanoboa »

woof wrote:...where the victor is the one who reaches a score/round limit first.
I think if you set a round limit, everyone will reach it at the same time.

:snail:

:pacman: :sdot: :sdot: :sdot: :sdot: :sdot:

:star:

:rat:
Cadillac_
Average Program

Post by Cadillac_ »

Titanoboa:
No one like sarcasm.
woof
Round Winner

Post by woof »

Titanoboa wrote:
woof wrote:...where the victor is the one who reaches a score/round limit first.
I think if you set a round limit, everyone will reach it at the same time.

:snail:

:pacman: :sdot: :sdot: :sdot: :sdot: :sdot:

:star:

:rat: