Why Armagetron doesn't attract new players (much)

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
delinquent
Match Winner

Re: Why Armagetron doesn't attract new players (much)

Post by delinquent »

Ooh, remember 1 rubber sumo? I might make that a thing again.
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Titanoboa »

Do it.

I was more a fan of 0.2 rubber sumo but my server was only ever active when I told people to come. Then everyone loved it. But they wouldn't go there themselves. >_<

1 rubber sumo is great though
szopin
Average Program

Post by szopin »

You want influx of new players? Gather the 1-2k of dollars needed for someone to port it to android (with glshim it already was ported to maemo/n900, not good enough processor though even OC at 1.2 ghz, so arm and gl is not that big of a deal). You will get thousands of new players on shitty connections. Once 5% of them catches on that they actually like the game and download/install desktop client it will still mean 100s or so new players.
takburger
Match Winner

Post by takburger »

szopin wrote:You want influx of new players? Gather the 1-2k of dollars needed for someone to port it to android (with glshim it already was ported to maemo/n900, not good enough processor though even OC at 1.2 ghz, so arm and gl is not that big of a deal). You will get thousands of new players on shitty connections. Once 5% of them catches on that they actually like the game and download/install desktop client it will still mean 100s or so new players.
there are already several games like armagetron on applestore/android market
Vogue
Match Winner

Post by Vogue »

szopin wrote:You want influx of new players? Gather the 1-2k of dollars needed for someone to port it to android (with glshim it already was ported to maemo/n900, not good enough processor though even OC at 1.2 ghz, so arm and gl is not that big of a deal). You will get thousands of new players on shitty connections. Once 5% of them catches on that they actually like the game and download/install desktop client it will still mean 100s or so new players.
This is actually a pretty good idea, easier to do than other ones rather.
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Post by /dev/null »

I think the biggest barrier to new players to tron is that this game can get pretty ******* hardcore at times. Some of the better players have reaction times that would make "PRO" fps players cry.

The best way to introduce new players I think would be to have a default multiplayer server new players get dumped into that is usually staffed with people willing to teach. Granted, thats a tough thing to pull off.

Whenever I realize people are actually noobs and not just shitty, I try to teach them. I teach them my version of tron though, which is very different from others, which as phytotron said, varies wildly from person to person.

Perhaps a disclaimer the first five times you hit multiplayer mode "YOU WILL ******* DIE! Dont worry, youll get better with practice."