Reducing lag

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
szopin
Average Program

Reducing lag

Post by szopin »

Sorry, I am sure this must've been discussed thousands of times, but circumstantial evidence leads me to believe server code is not optimised. Repeatedly today noticed mega lags/slides when tst games were ending. And also when pickup guys went onto their game later on slides seemed to disappear. Free says it's unlikely, however it seems it is happening. How can possibly 6-8 guys hitting refresh button in their server browser cause so much slides? I do not know. Assuming servers are passing all info like user names, IPs... If that is the case how to make game which is already struggling in comparison to what was few years ago better? Centralized server that is only there to speak to hosted servers, actually only hosts send it info about new players joining, to not cause any extraneous bandwidth leakage/usage. Disallow pinging/refreshing per server in browser and minimize any traffic that goes from/to server to maximize player satisfaction. Fight the lag!
Jip
Round Winner

Re: Reducing lag

Post by Jip »

I noticed, that playing in a 0.4 server (like pickup) can be very unstable using an 0.2.9 client, but it runs a lot better with a 0.4 client. Althoug sometimes only in 0.4 server the walls can disapear for me.