Ladle 79

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

sinewav
Graphic Artist

Ladle 79

Post by sinewav »

Soul
Match Winner

Re: Ladle 79

Post by Soul »

I saw on Elmo's TT thread several ideas for honoring him this ladle.

I suppose this would be the best place to finalize these ideas?
Concord wrote:Before each match of the ladle, after both teams are ready, there will be a round of silence. All 12 players simply spawn and drive straight ahead. No one turns. No one says anything. No one touches their keyboard. They will all hit the opposite rim wall at approximately the same time, our version of a salute
sinewav wrote:Brilliant. Let’s do it this next Ladle to open the finals.
Overrated
Match Winner

Post by Overrated »

There was also an idea to have everyone add "World" to the end of their name. I believe it was kite?

Both would seem proper to me, and it would also honor what a lot of athletes do to honor their fallen teammates/mentors. (I remember the NFL had players put a GU on their helmets for Gene Upshaw not too long ago). Would be a good tribute as well as the moment of silence.
BRAWL dead. RIP.

Fort is like a box of knives, you never know when you're going to be cut.
Concord
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Concord »

a simple E would be more appropriate than "World," in my opinion. A memorial doesn't need to be clever.

it would also be better for people with long names.
Monkey
Match Winner

Post by Monkey »

I really like Concord's salute+silence idea and think we should definitely do it. The naming idea, on the other hand, is not such a good one, especially seeing as quite a few players have no space for even an extra character in their names.
Playing since December 2006
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

The salute would be the best, if we can get everyone to remember to leave their chatbot off when doing it. I think adding a word or letter should be completely at the discretion of teams and individuals. We all grieve differently. I don't want someone else telling me how to mourn the loss of a fellow player.
woof
Round Winner

Post by woof »

sinewav wrote: We all grieve differently. I don't want someone else telling me how to mourn the loss of a fellow player.
This same logic could be applied to the no-chat round

Personally I like Rits's idea of changing our name to ____sWorld (i.e. WolfsWorld)
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

woof wrote:This same logic could be applied to the no-chat round
Of course, but the difference is we wouldn't expect event-wide participation, especially by people who didn't know or don't care about Elmo. And with just 12 players saluting, anyone who doesn't want to participate can simply not play for a single round. It is much less commitment to take your hands off the keyboard for 30 seconds than wear an identifier for 3-4 hours.
ppotter
Match Winner

Post by ppotter »

I think the wearing of a "tag" or having "_____World" is a personal choice, if you want to honour Elmo in that way, nothing is stopping you. The salute thing is a nice idea but it only takes one person to ruin it, see 1 minute silences at sports events etc. (though I don't think anyone in this community would ruin it on purpose like certain people do in those cases). I personally feel like it would feel a bit "forced", however if everyone wants to do it I wouldn't object. I think the dedication of the Bowl to his memory is all that is needed, it's a permanent memorial in something he dedicated a lot of his time to, but it's not overbearing.
þsy
Match Winner

Post by þsy »

It would be easy enough to coordinate if we did it only for the round before the ladle final started. Maybe people don't feel that's sufficient though
pike
Round Winner

Post by pike »

I like the idea of adding _World to player nicknames, no-turning-round salute not that much, only because at the end of it every player "suicides", which in this situation adds (unintentionally!) some bad taste to otherwise a very good idea.
Vogue
Match Winner

Post by Vogue »

Considering Elmo did a lot of work for ladles and various tournaments, it's really great that the bowl is being dedicated to him. Very fitting.
Concord

Post by Concord »

pike wrote:I like the idea of adding _World to player nicknames, no-turning-round salute not that much, only because at the end of it every player "suicides", which in this situation adds (unintentionally!) some bad taste to otherwise a very good idea.
it only seems like bad taste because you're assuming it's unintentional
Titanoboa

Post by Titanoboa »

I thought about the detail that we'd all commit suicide on the rim as well, but chose to ignore it because the gesture as a whole is nice. I think we should do it still. In the finals. But if other matchups want to do it as well it's not like we can (or want to) stop them.
orion
Match Winner

Post by orion »

I think its good to organize something for honoring Elmo, but I dont think turning the topic into a discussion works. Honour a player is something really personal (as ppoter and sine pointed), why do we all have to wear a tag or nick for example? Why are we having this discussion? I dont think you need another person or another group for honoring a player or a person that you have loss. I hope everyone acts the way they feel, otherwise it makes no sence.
I wasnt really close to Elmo, but i would totally follow salute idea. Also, thinking that "Commit suicide" in armagetron game is compared to an human success is really stupid in my opinion, or we should not play Ladle then...

Before be a Fortress player Elmo was a Tronner first and we are having a big Tron tournament in 2 days. Why wait till ladle?

Back on Ladle stuff, added a top five of % Ladle wins, just stats.