WST14 - Voting Thread (Closed - Classic WST)

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

Classic or "New" WST?

I Vote for Classic (✓)
68%
I Vote for New
32%

Total votes: 28

Ritsuka
Round Winner

WST14 - Voting Thread (Closed - Classic WST)

Post by Ritsuka »

War Sumo Tournament 14 is currently scheduled for Sunday, January 19th.

UPDATE: Voting closed, majority votes for Classic WST.

The purpose of this thread is to revisit an implementation that, in my opinion, never got a chance to be recognized as much as it deserved.

For those who are unfamiliar with the difference between the 'Classic' and 'New' WST Maps:

Classic WST

2 teams of 3 players, spawning in a ladle-like fashion (in a row, opposite side from enemy, grind at start) outside the zone facing inward

New WST

2 teams of 3 players, all spawning within the zone (created by Titanoboa and [indirectly] PokeMaster):

image courtesy of Titanoboa

Feel free to discuss your opinions, I'll make a decision based on the results when I feel enough people have voted.

(I vote for the new map btw)
Last edited by Ritsuka on Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cody
Shutout Match Winner

Re: WST14 - Voting Thread

Post by Cody »

My vote is with the majority(as of this moment its in the classic)

Both ways are very fun.

The newer spawn I find is more rushed/agressive. you see main plays early on in the round.

Where in the Classic spawn, you see the plays mid/later in the round.

Both offer a fun WST, so I'm voting for whatever has the majority.
Nanu Nanu
Core Dumper

Post by Nanu Nanu »

A classic WST is always fun, but this new style looks a whole lot more interesting and exciting. It looks sort of like a WST with sumobar-ish spawn points. There's a lot more strategy to be put into playing something like the new style, compared to classic where you don't see too many different strategies at start. There are just so many more possibilities with the new style that I think it'd be a great idea to implement, as it would create lots of challenges and perhaps more exciting matches.
Prema wrote:The second match starts, a new beginning,
Nanu and Prema, Sui and Ninja,
versus those same old hoes grinning.
Overrated
Match Winner

Post by Overrated »

I've said it before, I prefer the classic because it feels more team oriented and more options at the start (initial grind), than in the "newer" one. The "newer" one just makes it, at least in my opinion from playing it, more individually focused and less about the whole concept of team.
BRAWL dead. RIP.

Fort is like a box of knives, you never know when you're going to be cut.
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Titanoboa »

I like the new map, because it's fairly clever. But WST just isn't WST without the classic spawn points.

With the classic spawn points there's this build-up every round, and usually a climax towards the end. On the new map, it jumps right to the climax, then the round kinda fades out. And repeat. It can be pretty stressful, as opposed to slowly working each other all while pressure and nervosity is building up awaiting the climax towards the end.

^ The above is slightly exaggerated. But I think classic WST works better in tournament format.

Also, in the classic map there's a center battle. Not an exciting one that really matters when both players know what to do, but still a center battle.
vov
Match Winner

Post by vov »

I prefer to play (and watch) the "new" variation. It's better and fresher on the tactical side, and teamwork is actually more important right from the start on the "new" map than on the "old" one. I still have no clue why it was reverted in the first place.

Protip: as the tourney host you don't have to listen to a vote. I'm sure there will be interest in WST no matter the map. ;-)
Ritsuka
Round Winner

Post by Ritsuka »

vov wrote:Protip: as the tourney host you don't have to listen to a vote. I'm sure there will be interest in WST no matter the map. ;-)
That's true, but my first goal as a tournament host/coordinator is to give the community what it wants. Unfortunately, in situations such as these it's almost impossible to please everyone, so it's best to go with the majority and offer my sympathies to the LCD.

As of now it seems pretty obvious that most people are leaning toward the classic setup, so unless otherwise notified we will be using the original WST map. That being said, I'm currently working on a project that will hopefully include the new map being used more commonly.
orion
Match Winner

Post by orion »

Ritsuka wrote:
vov wrote:Protip: as the tourney host you don't have to listen to a vote. I'm sure there will be interest in WST no matter the map. ;-)
That's true, but my first goal as a tournament host/coordinator is to give the community what it wants. Unfortunately, in situations such as these it's almost impossible to please everyone, so it's best to go with the majority and offer my sympathies to the LCD.

As of now it seems pretty obvious that most people are leaning toward the classic setup, so unless otherwise notified we will be using the original WST map. That being said, I'm currently working on a project that will hopefully include the new map being used more commonly.
You can make 2 differents tournaments in 2 different times of the year..
Ritsuka
Round Winner

Post by Ritsuka »

orion wrote:
Ritsuka wrote:As of now it seems pretty obvious that most people are leaning toward the classic setup, so unless otherwise notified we will be using the original WST map. That being said, I'm currently working on a project that will hopefully include the new map being used more commonly.
You can make 2 differents tournaments in 2 different times of the year..
Ritsuka wrote:That being said, I'm currently working on a project that will hopefully include the new map being used more commonly.