Setting up a ladle server

Post here if you need help setting up your server, etc.
theo
Round Winner

Setting up a ladle server

Post by theo »

In the previous thread, sine stated that a few more servers wouldn't hurt.

sinewav wrote:We could still use a couple backups in the EU, but North America is looking good.
So I tried to set up a bunch of EU servers.

I took armagetronad-alpha-0.2.9_alpha_r141(the last stable version, 2.8.3.2, doesn't seem to handle global ids or user levels).

Compiled it with the following options:

Code: Select all

./configure --enable-dedicated --prefix=/opt/arma/servers/ladle --disable-useradd --disable-etc --disable-initscripts --enable-automakedefaults
I took the configuration from the ladle wiki page :

RINCLUDE ladle/ladle67.cfg(http://crazy-tronners.com/resource/ladle/ladle67.cfg)
RINCLUDE ladle/ladle74_authorities.cfg(http://crazy-tronners.com/resource/ladle/ladle74_authorities.cfg)
SERVER_NAME 0x7fff7fLadle 74 0xff7f7f(0x7f7ffftheos's Server0xff7f7f)
I thought these settings were self-sufficient. But that doesn't seem to be enough.

If I join a server, both zones are blue and there is no armagetron bot. Moreover, if I auth and join a team, game resets every few seconds.

If I join any other ladle server, all these settings are different.

Any idea what's wrong? I obviously missed something.

Here are the logs when I start the server:

[0] No matches were found that contained #.
[0] SP_MIN_PLAYERS changed from 2 to 0.
[0] Bound socket to *.*.*.*:42745.
[0] Bound socket to *.*.*.*:4534.
[0] Setting CYCLE_RUBBER_WALL_SHRINK (Group: Bumpy) deviates from its default value; clients older than 0.2.8_alpha20060414 may experience problems.
[0] Setting CYCLE_BRAKE_REFILL (Group: Annoying) deviates from its default value; clients older than 0.2.5.0 may experience problems.
[0] Setting MAP_FILE (Group: Breaking) deviates from its default value; clients older than 0.2.8_beta3 may experience problems.
[0] Connecting to Master Server 1...
[0] Login information sent. Waiting for reply...
[0] Got address 88.190.37.40:4534.
[0] Login Succeeded. User Nr. 1 
[0] Syncing with server...
[33] Answering ping poll from 46.128.222.19:33195.
[33] Answering ping poll from 80.67.176.205:45734.
[0] Relabeling NetObjects...
[0] Syncing again...
[0] Done!
[0] Sending my server info...
[0] Logging out...
[0] Done!
[0] Closing socket bound to *.*.*.*:4534
[0] Connecting to Master Server 2...
[33] Answering ping poll from 75.72.193.163:22707.
[0] Syncing again...
[0] Done!
[0] Logging out...
[0] Done!
[0] Connecting to Master Server 3...
[0] Syncing again...
[0] Done!
[0] Logging out...
[0] Done!
[0] Access level required to play changed from Program to Remote User.
[0] Ping charity changed from 0 to 500.
[0] Nobody there. Taking a nap...
[0] Timestamp: 2013/09/27 00:30:30
The servers are:

87.98.217.168:4534
88.190.37.40:4534 
88.191.185.38:4534
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Re: Ladle 74

Post by sinewav »

SP_MIN_PLAYERS changed from 2 to 0
Well that is certainly wrong. Something is overwriting ladle67.cfg.

I don't know anything else. Someone will be along in a second I'm sure.
theo
Round Winner

Post by theo »

Thanks for the insight.

I don't know where that could come from. I don't have SP_MIN_PLAYERS anywhere (execpt in the docs)

# grep -rH SP_MIN_PLAYERS .
Binary file ./bin/armagetronad-alpha-dedicated matches
./share/doc/games/armagetronad-alpha-dedicated/html/commands.html:SP_MIN_PLAYERS               Minimum number of players in single player mode
./share/doc/games/armagetronad-alpha-dedicated/commands.txt:SP_MIN_PLAYERS               Minimum number of players in single player mode
./share/games/armagetronad-alpha-dedicated/resource/included/Z-Man/fortress/for_old_clients-0.1.0.aamap.xml:                    <Setting name="SP_MIN_PLAYERS" value="0" />
And nothing is included, except the ladle settings:

# grep -rH INCLUDE .
Binary file ./bin/armagetronad-alpha-dedicated matches
./share/doc/games/armagetronad-alpha-dedicated/html/commands.html:ACCESS_LEVEL_VOTE_INCLUDE    Minimal access level required to issue include votes.
./share/doc/games/armagetronad-alpha-dedicated/html/commands.html:ACCESS_LEVEL_VOTE_INCLUDE_EXECUTE Minimal access level successful include votes will be executed at.
./share/doc/games/armagetronad-alpha-dedicated/html/commands.html:INCLUDE                      Includes the following file
./share/doc/games/armagetronad-alpha-dedicated/html/commands.html:RINCLUDE                     Includes a file using the resource system. Use the direct link syntax to your profit here.
./share/doc/games/armagetronad-alpha-dedicated/html/commands.html:SINCLUDE                     Includes the following file silently, without error message if it is not found
./share/doc/games/armagetronad-alpha-dedicated/html/commands.html:VOTING_BIAS_INCLUDE          Add virtual voters that oppose every include vote.
./share/doc/games/armagetronad-alpha-dedicated/commands.txt:ACCESS_LEVEL_VOTE_INCLUDE    Minimal access level required to issue include votes.
./share/doc/games/armagetronad-alpha-dedicated/commands.txt:ACCESS_LEVEL_VOTE_INCLUDE_EXECUTE Minimal access level successful include votes will be executed at.
./share/doc/games/armagetronad-alpha-dedicated/commands.txt:INCLUDE                      Includes the following file
./share/doc/games/armagetronad-alpha-dedicated/commands.txt:RINCLUDE                     Includes a file using the resource system. Use the direct link syntax to your profit here.
./share/doc/games/armagetronad-alpha-dedicated/commands.txt:SINCLUDE                     Includes the following file silently, without error message if it is not found
./share/doc/games/armagetronad-alpha-dedicated/commands.txt:VOTING_BIAS_INCLUDE          Add virtual voters that oppose every include vote.
./etc/games/armagetronad-alpha-dedicated/settings.cfg:RINCLUDE ladle/ladle67.cfg(http://crazy-tronners.com/resource/ladle/ladle67.cfg)
./etc/games/armagetronad-alpha-dedicated/settings.cfg:RINCLUDE ladle/ladle74_authorities.cfg(http://crazy-tronners.com/resource/ladle/ladle73_authorities.cfg)
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Light »

The map linked to in the settings:
http://resource.armagetronad.net/resour ... .aamap.xml

You have a local copy of the map file which contains the setting to change the SP_MIN_PLAYERS to 0. This means you won't have any bots joining you.

Delete your local copy and reboot the server.

mv /share/games/armagetronad-alpha-dedicated/resource/included/Z-Man/fortress/for_old_clients-0.1.0.aamap.xml /share/games/armagetronad-alpha-dedicated/resource/included/Z-Man/fortress/for_old_clients-0.1.0.aamap.xml.bak
theo
Round Winner

Post by theo »

Thanks for the suggestion.

I tried to delete the local map (actually I deleted all local maps, just to be sure). But that didn't fix anything.

Also I'm not sure that's the issue, as the online map has the same setting:

# wget -qO - http://resource.armagetronad.net/resource/Z-Man/fortress/for_old_clients-0.1.0.aamap.xml | grep -i SP_MIN_PLAYERS
                        <Setting name="SP_MIN_PLAYERS" value="0" />
Light

Post by Light »

Oops, it does. :P
theo
Round Winner

Post by theo »

It seems to work now, thanks for dlh on irc:
03:47:26 < dlh> theocrite: don't modify the game-included configuration files. Instead, put your setings in autoexec.cfg or settings_custom.cfg.
03:48:04 < dlh> The game loads settings.cfg (where you put the RINCLUDEs), and then it loads settings_dedicated.cfg which overwrites some of the ladle settings
So I put my *.cfg files back and added the ladle settings at the end of settings_custom.cfg.

I don't get why just the settings.cfg with the ladle settings inside is not sufficient by itself. According to Light it should be. I'll see if I can improve that later.
Light

Post by Light »

Ohhhh, you actually modified the base settings. I figured you were talking about settings_custom when you said it. You don't want to modify that for multiple reasons. Along with settings issues, an update would overwrite it as well. The lines provided should be put into settings_custom.cfg. I'm sorry for misleading you when you said it.

All of my servers share the settings file, then have their own settings_custom and server_info files. Along with everything else, but those are the only ones containing settings for the server's displayed info and settings.
Venijn
Round Winner

Post by Venijn »

Thanks for the servers theo!
Click. Image
theo
Round Winner

Post by theo »

Light wrote:Ohhhh, you actually modified the base settings. I figured you were talking about settings_custom when you said it. You don't want to modify that for multiple reasons. Along with settings issues, an update would overwrite it as well. The lines provided should be put into settings_custom.cfg. I'm sorry for misleading you when you said it.
So, if I understand correctly, the default configuration files (aiplayers.cfg, default.cfg, settings.cfg, settings_authentication.cfg, settings_dedicated.cfg, settings_visual.cfg) and create a new file named settings_curstom.cfg containing only the ladle lines?

Venijn wrote:Thanks for the servers theo!
Well, the pleasure is mine.

But before considering these server as ladle material, I would like live tests with people familiar with ladles (as players).

It would be better to have a (large) feedback before thinking to add them to the ladle wiki.
takburger
Match Winner

Post by takburger »

theo wrote: The servers are:

87.98.217.168:4534
88.190.37.40:4534 
88.191.185.38:4534
1: 44 ping, stable
2: timeout
3: 29 ping, stable

test made at 14:10 GMT (just now)
theo
Round Winner

Post by theo »

Thanks for the feedback tak, but I was rather thinking about a bunch of people joining to play together for a certain amount of time.
takburger wrote:2: timeout
Well maybe I should start it first? >_<
takburger wrote:3: 29 ping, stable
That ping is outrageous. I suppose you're using "Illiad/Free"?
takburger
Match Winner

Post by takburger »

theo wrote:Thanks for the feedback tak, but I was rather thinking about a bunch of people joining to play together for a certain amount of time.
takburger wrote:2: timeout
Well maybe I should start it first? >_<
That's what I guessed
theo wrote:
takburger wrote:3: 29 ping, stable
That ping is outrageous. I suppose you're using "Illiad/Free"?
Yes, but my connection is pretty bad, I'm not so close from the Dslam and even if we're around Paris, we still do not have the fiber (or i'd have 5 or something).
theo
Round Winner

Post by theo »

Ok, so after the first test, pretty much everything seemed fine except 2 things:
  • Slides
    Well, on all people that joined (~10), only syre complained. Everyone else seemed ok. Also servers were sleeping and bandwich usage was very low.
  • Authentication issue
    If you try to login while someone is playing, you'll have to wait until the round is over to authenticate. But at this point, a new round would have started and you'll have to wait another round to join. All my servers are (not surprisingly) affected, as well as uNk's.

One common denominator being the server version (0.2.9_alpha_r1417). The other servers I tried are fine : fman23's (0.2.9-sty+ct_alpha_r774_20130709), Light's (0.2.9-sty+ct_alpha_r777), CT's LIV (0.2.8_alpha20110403).

So I tried 0.2.9-sty+ct_alpha_r774, which is the closest version I found to fman23's server, but it doesn't work better.

I couldn't find versions similar to light's or CT's liv.

Any hint?
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

theo wrote:...only syre complained
His connection is usually terrible, so no worries there. When there is a problem with the server everyone notices. Even if half the people are sliding that could just mean a single bad router somewhere outside the server.
theo wrote:If you try to login while someone is playing, you'll have to wait until the round is over to authenticate.
you need Z-threading. Not having it is kind of a bummer, but not a deal breaker.
theo wrote:One common denominator being the server version (0.2.9_alpha_r1417)
We have talked about server homogeneity before but never enforced it because we are usually just thankful to have servers to play on. You should only be using the latest stable dedicated. Anything +sty, etc is generally frowned upon.