concentration problems?

Anything About Anything...
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

concentration problems?

Post by Word »

This program is the ultimate answer to everything. Perhaps it's just a placebo, but it works for me. Helpful if you feel like your brain is slowly becoming "cotton candy" (to use that term from Philip Mudd on the Colbert Report) because of yearslong exposure to the internet and you get easily distracted by consuming the crap that pops into your face from the moment you pressed the power button.

I sometimes considered buying a typewriter and selling/dumping the whole thing, but you know...
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Re: concentration problems?

Post by sinewav »

Word wrote:I sometimes considered buying a typewriter and selling/dumping the whole thing, but you know...
That or an old word processor. Another solution is to buy the cheapest laptop you can find, used or otherwise, then install only writing software and minimal OS features (no games!). Disable the wireless and Ethernet connections, then go someplace cozy and turn off your phone.

The screenshot of that program reminds me of an old IBM computer, green text on black. Every time I see that I remember the "pink halos" after using one for a couple hours. (For those that don't know, If you stare at a black screen with green text for a while then look away, white surfaces will have a pink halo around them. Takes a while for it to wear off and it's a little annoying, haha.) I'm sure there are a few people here old enough to remember that.

I'll have to remember Dark Room next time I have a big writing project, thanks.
Word

Post by Word »

You can change the font/text background/program background colors by right-clicking on the screen, I always use black and white. And you can change the opacity too, so you can still see everything "behind" the program.
That or an old word processor. Another solution is to buy the cheapest laptop you can find, used or otherwise, then install only writing software and minimal OS features (no games!). Disable the wireless and Ethernet connections, then go someplace cozy and turn off your phone.
Thanks for that advice. :)
takburger
Match Winner

Post by takburger »

I have the "empty page" problem, so I need distractions everywhere to stimulate my thoughts.
Concord
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Concord »

Mecca
Match Winner

Post by Mecca »

Can't you just use Notepad? :/
Word

Post by Word »

The problem with Notepad is that it's far more confusing if you use its fullscreen option, and one's eyes get tired more easily since the text isn't divided into columns (that's why newspapers use them). You can do that manually, but you'd have to change everything once you want to import/copy that text to a program like MS Word or the Open Office Writer. If you don't use fullscreen and you're like me, you still get distracted by all the stuff in the background.
Sure, you can still disable everything from your desktop and choose a neutral color, but the column problem remains. If you write a long sentence, the program will just extend that line forever, so you lose your overview completely. Notepad and similar programs have their merits for other kinds of texts than the ones I need to write.

(Also, note that the title implies that Dark Room is for people who have concentration problems when using the other programs - if you don't, use Notepad all you want!)
Concord wrote:another alternative
Open in Paint and draw every single letter by hand? :)
Mecca
Match Winner

Post by Mecca »

Word wrote:The problem with Notepad is that it's far more confusing if you use its fullscreen option, and one's eyes get tired more easily since the text isn't divided into columns (that's why newspapers use them). You can do that manually, but you'd have to change everything once you want to import/copy that text to a program like MS Word or the Open Office Writer. If you don't use fullscreen and you're like me, you still get distracted by all the stuff in the background.
Sure, you can still disable everything from your desktop and choose a neutral color, but the column problem remains. If you write a long sentence, the program will just extend that line forever, so you lose your overview completely. Notepad and similar programs have their merits for other kinds of texts than the ones I need to write.

(Also, note that the title implies that Dark Room is for people who have concentration problems when using the other programs - if you don't, use Notepad all you want!)
Concord wrote:another alternative
Open in Paint and draw every single letter by hand? :)
The "Word Wrap" option fixes that issue.

That makes it bit more sense, there's no easy way around the lack of column formatting in Notepad.

EDIT: Random question: When you write for funzies, do you usually write in English or German, Word?
Word

Post by Word »

Random question: When you write for funzies, do you usually write in English or German, Word?
Depends on the audience, that's why I use English here.
Mecca
Match Winner

Post by Mecca »

Warum English? Meine Deutsch ist sehr gut!

Disclaimer: My German is horrible.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Word wrote:I sometimes considered buying a typewriter and selling/dumping the whole thing, but you know...
What comes in place of those ellipses?
Word

Post by Word »

...sometimes you still need it for other things, like downloading official documents or making a logo/illustration for someone, or looking up what the university canteen is offering today, checking your e-mails. And Armagetron, of course. :)
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Yeah, whatever. Buy a typewriter, dude. A completely mechanical one. CLICK CLACK DING ZIP!
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Phytotron wrote:Yeah, whatever. Buy a typewriter, dude. A completely mechanical one. CLICK CLACK DING ZIP!
Agreed. Word, here is an ebay.de search to help you get started. I'll send you up to 40€ through PayPal immediately. I'm dead serious. You know I wouldn't joke about this.

I tried searching craigslist for a typewritter in your area and came up blank. You are in Köln, right?

I used to love banging out on the typewriter in my house when I was a kid. I spent a lot of time trying to draw with it, using the keys and ink ribbon like dabs of paint, then releasing the paper lock and slowly nudging it one way or another before keying in more "paint." Stuff like this, but simple, like an 8 year old would draw cars and trees and my bike and whatever.
Word

Post by Word »

Haha, no! If I would buy one I could afford it myself, thanks though. We also still have an old, electronic typewriter at home (it's just a really, really loud machine, but I wrote a few poems with it as a child and illustrated them, that was fun). And there's a permanent flea market a few blocks away.