What are you listening to right now?

Anything About Anything...
Fippmam
Round Winner

Re: What are you listening to right now?

Post by Fippmam »

Phytotron wrote:
That word you're using, it does not mean what I think you think it means.

Right, because you know more about what I'm thinking, than I do.
Clutch
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Clutch »

Guillotine - Raekwon

With voltage of an eel the truth that I reveal will crush the amateurs who scream they keep it real
Boxed
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

Arcade Fire just released their new video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E0fVfectDo

(and although I was a little disappointed they didn't find Justin Bieber's corpse at the end, the video is still funny)
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Been listening to this every day for the past week:

Richard Wagner - The Ring Without Words
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Fippmam wrote:
Phytotron wrote:That word you're using, it does not mean what I think you think it means.
Right, because you know more about what I'm thinking, than I do.
So you mean to tell me that a song about the "parallel between looking in the eyes of [his] (deceased) son, and the eyes of the father that [he] never met, through the chain of [their] blood" makes you feel discouraged, demoralized, makes you lose confidence and determination? Not that it's, say, heartbreaking?

Word wrote:Replaced them with The Pretenders and John Cale now. :P
Good lord, why? :P
Word wrote:What about....
I hate psychedelic rock. I hate Brit rock. I hate most stuff white people did in the '60s.

Tadd wrote:Under this video stood once: "Gabriela once gave Chuck Norris a h*ndj*b. He died."

Could be true...
And as one of the current top comments says, "It's pretty sad that the highest voted comment on a video solely about musical talent is one that reduces a highly skilled woman down to her ability to sexually please a man. You've really broke the mould for originality there."

Anyway, they're good enough; overrated. But then there's this cat who was backing them for awhile: Alfredo Hechavarria Ruddock.

Clutch wrote:Guillotine - Raekwon

With voltage of an eel the truth that I reveal will crush the amateurs who scream they keep it real
WU-TANG's GZA raps and rhymes on StarTalk with Neil deGrasse Tyson. Kinda odd the part where Tyson is astounded by the idea that musical lyrics could influence a person's thought processes and subsequent direction in life, particularly on an intellectual level, like that's a novel concept to him. "I don't know anyone who has listened to any other performer, who can make that claim." Really, Neil? I mean, even in pop music, especially being of his generation—since it's nearly non-existent these days—this is a cat who grew up in the 60's and 70's. And of course meaningful, consciousness-raising lyrics in popular music go back decades before that period, too. But I digress.

Anyway, I don't like much rap or hip-hop, but Liquid Swords is somethin' else.

sinewav wrote:Been listening to this every day for the past week:

Richard Wagner - The Ring Without Words
To paraphrase Rossini, Wagner has its moments but it also has its hours. :P
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Phytotron wrote:To paraphrase Rossini, Wagner has its moments but it also has its hours. :P
Man, does it ever. For those of you reading this who don't know, Wagner's operas are some of the longest and most demanding of all musical endeavors. The link I posted above is 75 minute medley of music from The Ring Cycle, an opera that takes 4 days to complete, roughly 15 hours of music. Wagner wrote it over a 25 year period. He has several other epic works, but some of his stuff is rather flat. Even still, he may be my favorite composer, or at least in the top 5.

I'm in a weird state with music right now. If I'm not listening to the classics, I'm listening to Hindi and Punjabi dance music, like this. *Shrug* I had to do sound for a Bollywood style party in ritzy La Jolla, CA last weekend and was like, "oh yeah, I forgot I liked this stuff."
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

I can never really listen to Wagner because the Bayreuth festival and the latests fights of the Wagner family is in the news the entire year (they're a bit like the Gallaghers from Oasis, actually)...and the best segment is used in almost every soundtrack, for the scene when the evil genius (preferably some Nazi) shows up :P

Regarding classical music, perhaps some of you like this piece by Shostakovich or the Solveig's Song by Grieg, or Mahler, or Prokofiev? I knew the composers but didn't really know anything by them aside from their more popular works until some weeks ago. The only classical album I used to have was Mussorgsky's/Ravel's Pictures at an Exhibition (but I suppose everyone here knows this one).
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Word wrote:Regarding classical music, perhaps some of you like...Shostakovich....
As I was reading sinewav's post, I was just about to reply that the likes of Shostakovich and Schoenberg are among my favorites (to the extent I have favorites of anything).
Attachments
Schiele_-_Bildnis_des_Komponisten_Arnold_Schönberg_._1917.jpg
Slov
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Slov »

.pG (only like, the best clan ever)

my mixtape fire tho
chrisd
Round Winner

Post by chrisd »

Ow, slov! You clearly have the soul of a black rapper inside.

I like listening to Cody Simpson a lot! And he is cute too!
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

chrisd wrote:Ow, slov! You clearly have the soul of a black rapper inside.
You're out of your mind.
Mecca
Match Winner

Post by Mecca »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMzMzYEuGUU

Pluto Relinquish never gets old.
Clutch
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Clutch »

chrisd wrote:Ow, slov! You clearly have the soul of a black rapper inside.

I like listening to Cody Simpson a lot! And he is cute too!
I've never been able to tell if you've been trolling all these years, but now I know for sure. you're the coppercab of tron

Otherside - RHCP
Boxed
takburger
Match Winner

Post by takburger »

ppotter
Match Winner

Post by ppotter »