Computer Update

Anything About Anything...
Fippmam
Round Winner

Re: Computer Update

Post by Fippmam »

^ Weird. I connect to my monitor using HDMI, and I also use separate speakers.

Oh and yea...you might wanna just skip the middleman, and purchase a respectable power supply unit. I learned the hard way when my old one just randomly died. It wasn't even a year old yet -.-
Ratchet
Match Winner

Post by Ratchet »

Fippmam wrote:^ Weird. I connect to my monitor using HDMI, and I also use separate speakers.

Oh and yea...you might wanna just skip the middleman, and purchase a respectable power supply unit. I learned the hard way when my old one just randomly died. It wasn't even a year old yet -.-
I upgraded my PSU with my graphics card, noob!

Also, Monkey, wut? I have my PC and monitor hooked with HDMI, and my external speakers hooked with a regular auxiliary cable from my PC. The sound goes from the PC to the monitor, not from the monitor to the PC :D
"Dream as if you'll live forever,
Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean
Fippmam
Round Winner

Post by Fippmam »

Ratchet wrote:
Fippmam wrote:^ Weird. I connect to my monitor using HDMI, and I also use separate speakers.
ur not cool.

And yeah Monkey, there's a little green thingie on the pc, where speaker cable can connect :oops: (dunno terminology)
Ratchet
Match Winner

Post by Ratchet »

Fippmam wrote:And yeah Monkey, there's a little green thingie on the pc, where speaker cable can connect :oops: (dunno terminology)
Ratchet wrote:[...] and my external speakers hooked with a regular auxiliary cable from my PC [...]
Misery
Round Winner

Post by Misery »

Have you considered going the AMD route for the CPU? You'd save yourself some $.
"Music can name the unnameable and communicate the unknowable."
~Leonard Bernstein
Monkey
Match Winner

Post by Monkey »

Ratchet wrote:The sound goes from the PC to the monitor, not from the monitor to the PC :D
Haha yes I know that, I'm not a complete noob :D My point is that HDMI can transport both video and sound. If your monitor has built-in speakers, as mine does, then it is theoretically possible to have sound coming out of both your monitor and your external speakers at the same time, which is undesirable. In practice, however, your operating system will most likely automatically select the preferred sound source, or at least let you select it.
Playing since December 2006
Ratchet
Match Winner

Post by Ratchet »

Monkey wrote:
Ratchet wrote:The sound goes from the PC to the monitor, not from the monitor to the PC :D
Haha yes I know that, I'm not a complete noob :D My point is that HDMI can transport both video and sound. If your monitor has built-in speakers, as mine does, then it is theoretically possible to have sound coming out of both your monitor and your external speakers at the same time, which is undesirable. In practice, however, your operating system will most likely automatically select the preferred sound source, or at least let you select it.
Ah, makes more sense :P Yeah, I can set which source is my primary output. Getting it to do both would be the difficult part :D
Concord
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Concord »

Clutch wrote:Come play Age of Empires III with me, I'm all aloney

pfft
AOK >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> AO3
Clutch
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Clutch »

Wololo
Boxed
Vogue
Match Winner

Post by Vogue »

Concord wrote:
Clutch wrote:Come play Age of Empires III with me, I'm all aloney

pfft
AOK >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> AO3

THIS

wtf aoe3 sucked
Renegade
Core Dumper

Post by Renegade »

Clutch wrote:Wololo
I played aoe today, and I finally understood this.
Ratchet
Match Winner

Post by Ratchet »

Ha, I could totally post without anyone noticing this thread is 2 years old. The last post was August 10th, after all ;)

As an update: my computer is still an absolute monster! I am looking to buy and install a SSD, though, because the HDD it came with is causing a huge bottleneck in my system. I went ahead and upgraded to a GS800 shortly after purchasing the computer and I paired it with a Nvidia GTX 650 Ti.

To this day, I can play LoL (who can't?) and get about 130 FPS on maximum settings. On World of Tanks I get about 50 FPS on Maximum (I choose to play on High instead).

As stated previously, I definitely intend to upgrade to a SSD in the future. A new monitor would be nice, as well.

Tips for anyone who happens to stumble on this in the future:
1. SSD is good. We like SSD.
2. Strongly consider building your computer yourself so you don't waste money on that one thing that you know you're going to have to upgrade when you buy a new computer. Just get it right the first time. Building a computer is not hard. There are tons of videos and tutorials and websites to help you through it!
3. If you must, buy a computer that has a good, expandable motherboard and a solid CPU that will last a while! A CPU/Motherboard is probably the hardest thing to upgrade in the future. In contrast, graphics cards, RAM, power supply, and storage (HDD/SSD) are much easier to replace!