Why Are The Lag-O-Meters Huge?!

For all the help you need with Armagetron!
Dalsue
On Lightcycle Grid

Why Are The Lag-O-Meters Huge?!

Post by Dalsue »

Why are my lag-o-meters always huge?

It's not an issue with my Internet as this is the 3rd location I've had this issue.

Is there a setting or something that I can change to? This has been going on for a couple months now where I will have long sessions of huge lag-o-meters making the game unplayable.

http://i41.tinypic.com/1t3tad.png

This is just an example.. they get bigger!
Fippmam
Round Winner

Re: Why Are The Lag-O-Meters Huge?!

Post by Fippmam »

Dalsue wrote:
This is just an example.. they get bigger!
Totally read this out of context.

I have no textbook knowledge about this, but I think its safe to say its something to do with your connection (even though you're convinced it isn't). Other people play on those servers too, so its unlikely that it's the server. Maybe make sure you're not downloading anything in the background? I know that torrents can sometimes be the culprit.
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Post by LOVER$BOY »

I know some server tend to lag a bit and cause that but in most cases, the real issue is with your download speed. If you are like using a family internet and there are other members of your family using it at the time, the download will be limited.

Think of it as a parallel. The download tends to shift between each depending on the weight and process of the load. So, for tron the load is not that big so the packets would shift more heavily towards the rest.

How I know this? I know because I had lag during an online lecture a few days ago while my mum was talking to her parents on skype in the next room. AS you know, skype uses quite a bit of download, especially when you got webcam running.

So, check with your internet. Ask your parents or your network provider. They will know better than us.
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

I don't understand why you guys always have to make stuff so complicated :o could have easly answered with
" It is simply because you are playing in servers that are far away from where u are"
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

It's not like anyone would think 'Oh where is it I live (positive it's America, I'll just enter this European server and expect 0 lag)
I actually can't stand this for daytime GMT, there will be all Americans playing in a EU server, even although there's a perfect exact same server that is hosted in the U.S ........Makes no sense why they do it and then have the stupidity to complain of lag :o
Ratchet
Match Winner

Post by Ratchet »

ConVicT wrote:I don't understand why you guys always have to make stuff so complicated :o could have easly answered with
" It is simply because you are playing in servers that are far away from where u are"
ConVicT wrote:It's not like anyone would think 'Oh where is it I live (positive it's America, I'll just enter this European server and expect 0 lag)
I actually can't stand this for daytime GMT, there will be all Americans playing in a EU server, even although there's a perfect exact same server that is hosted in the U.S ........Makes no sense why they do it and then have the stupidity to complain of lag :o
Neither of those posts are comprehensive, much less contributing to the topic.

@Dal, it happens to me from time to time even when I have a low ping. It, for me, is the result of unstable internet. Since ping is an average response time, it's still fairly low at times even though I'm clearly lagging. As far as you trying at several locations, you do have something to do with TeamViewer running at the bottom right of your screen. Depending upon what that is, it can be a massive internet hog.
"Dream as if you'll live forever,
Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

Did you change LAG_O_METER_SCALE? Its default value is 1.

If you've tried playing from several locations on your computer and had the same issue, then perhaps there is an issue with your computer?

Also, you can disable the lag-o-meter with LAG_O_METER 0.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

ConVicT wrote:It's not like anyone would think 'Oh where is it I live (positive it's America, I'll just enter this European server and expect 0 lag)........Makes no sense why they do it and then have the stupidity to complain of lag :o
Ok idiot, I guess you didn't look at the screenshots but Dal is asking, not complaining, about exceptionally large lag-o-meters. Even Australian players don't have lag meters that large. Clearly there is another problem.

As Ratchet touched on, ping and lag are not the same, though related. You can have low ping with severe lag and vice verse. If you have repeatedly changed locations and still have this much lag I would suggest searching the Windows knowledge base to diagnose the problem. Maybe even open a support ticket with Microsoft. There may be some driver incompatibility. More than likely it is a background application hogging your connection, maybe even Windows update.
Fippmam
Round Winner

Post by Fippmam »

Pretty much what Sine said. My dorm room feeds off the same connection (same modem) as ~ 10 other rooms/apartments (bulk plan). So ping doesn't usually tell the whole story.

Anyway there's definitely something wrong on your end.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

I take it that it's not just the lag-o-meter, right? Gameplay actually is bad?
When a new round starts, do the lag-o-meters reset to relatively normal sizes, then get bigger and bigger as the round progresses?
ppotter
Match Winner

Post by ppotter »

I had a problem similar to this, at the start of rounds the game was mega choppy, then I had huge lag-o-meters for the rest of the round. Used to happen every other round, I think it was something to do with the internal timer Tron uses, or something like that.
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

Dalsue wrote:It's not an issue with my Internet...

Wrong. Have you ever heard of bandwidth restriction? Your ISP will throttle your speed/bandwidth at certain times of the day to ensure that everyone gets comparatively the same performance. Many ISP's throttle by exchange, rather than by singular connection, so everybody on that exchange is affected.

When a lot of people are using connections on the exchange, everyone suffers. It is, unfortunately, a big part of consumerism, whereby providers take the easy way out instead of really fixing the problem.

Ninja Edit: Also, check if Adobe updater is running as a system task. I've noticed that adobe take up an extraordinary amount of bandwidth lately.
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

sinewav wrote:
ConVicT wrote:It's not like anyone would think 'Oh where is it I live (positive it's America, I'll just enter this European server and expect 0 lag)........Makes no sense why they do it and then have the stupidity to complain of lag :o
Ok idiot, I guess you didn't look at the screenshots but Dal is asking, not complaining, about .
No I did not, and I wasn't saying he was complaining, i was just adding that others do 8)
Anyway looked at his screen now and it's quite obvious why his lag-o-meters are huge, It's because he's switching from Chrome, to Skype, and then going back to arma, if he didn't switch one time for one round it would all go back to normal when the next round starts......unless he switches again. happens all the time with me when I switch between arma, and vlc player. I don't even know what he's doing on Chrome but that browser can be a bit of a CPU hog, especially if he happens to have a browser hijacker, main one seems to be going around just now is "Delta", watch out for that f***er!

I noticed you're using windows 7...Go to your resource monitor and suspend "svchost.exe", that was also one of my problems that gave me huge lag-o-meters, but that seems to just eat CPU for no reason, and other times doesn't, I have no idea why...Best just checking if it is.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

ppotter: yes, the timer problem is the one I am trying to rule out with my question. If it's not that, well, all we can do is throw our hands in the air and tell the poor guy to not download you-know-what while playing.
ConVicT wrote: I noticed you're using windows 7...Go to your resource monitor and suspend "svchost.exe", that was also one of my problems that gave me huge lag-o-meters, but that seems to just eat CPU for no reason, and other times doesn't, I have no idea why...Best just checking if it is.
Don't ever follow instructions like that.
svchost is running Windows Services. If you just shut it down, you do not know which services you are killing. Use the task manager to stop services you are sure you do not need right now if you want to go down that route.
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

You can't kill it though, Z-man, it just starts back up again, and this is why I said to suspend, rather than kill, because then he can just as easily resume it if he suspends the wrong one.