Ladle 71

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

takburger
Match Winner

Re: Ladle 71

Post by takburger »

J Dawg wrote:
Fippmam wrote:Yea but Peat's servers aren't really "lagless" xD. How about going off the server tracker list to see the best hosts? I know Poke said quantity before quality, but I think he meant the other way around, and I agree completely.

I think he meant right. having a lot of servers during a tournament is a big help. If one server crashes you have 2 or three servers to back that up, once we have a good number of servers, then we can start working on the quality of it.

I would love to be apart of this and also donate money towards this, It should be something all fortress players help out in.
But if there are quality servers, they are not supposed to crash ?
J Dawg
Round Winner

Post by J Dawg »

well if we have a lot of servers, usually the server would be in good condition. I don't think people would buy shitty servers :p
ImageImageImageImageImage
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

Maybe we should have this server donation thing split out of here.

One thing i thought of is renting a cloud VPS for the day. I looked into it a few months ago, but ended up getting extremely busy. anyway I think it would cost a few dollars for the day, for a pretty overloaded server.

However with that route someone would have to deploy it the day of ladle, and stop it once it ends. some of the cloud server providers allow you to save the machine once you have it configured others do not
takburger
Match Winner

Post by takburger »

kyle wrote:Maybe we should have this server donation thing split out of here.

One thing i thought of is renting a cloud VPS for the day. I looked into it a few months ago, but ended up getting extremely busy. anyway I think it would cost a few dollars for the day, for a pretty overloaded server.

However with that route someone would have to deploy it the day of ladle, and stop it once it ends. some of the cloud server providers allow you to save the machine once you have it configured others do not
Answer:
takburger wrote: On Amazon EC2, it says it is 0,480$/h (OVH is 0.015€). The price is changing every hour depending on the market.

The problem of such offers is (but I think as other dedicated servers) not tailored to Armagetron requirements which are: low ping only. They have offers with better connection or worse connection. I chose a fast connection on a basic offer. But there are some faster ones but also more expensive because offering very high computing capacity.
I think it could be extremely powerful and cheaper indeed.

Also
Fippmam wrote:Yea but Peat's servers aren't really "lagless" xD. How about going off the server tracker list to see the best hosts? I know Poke said quantity before quality, but I think he meant the other way around, and I agree completely.
Peat's are quite good thinking that he has torrent programs on all the time :x

And EU players say US server sucks, and US players say EU server sucks. But I often see the US top lag complainers complain about those US servers... And I don't often see you slide in a wall...
Fippmam
Round Winner

Post by Fippmam »

Haha maybe he should stop running torrents all the time D=

Anyway I've played in worst servers than peat's but I'd rather not, especially if a bunch of people and myself are donating money, yea? The ladle day rental thing sounds swell, but I've kinda grown on the idea of general tournament servers...hmmm

ps luvupeat
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

If you are going to go the cloud server route, I should give you a few warnings, based on my experiences the last two years using Amazon EC2 servers.

When I was regularly hosting servers for the Ladle and the Brawl, I found about a 1 in 8 chance that one of my 8 servers would be very poorly performing the day and time of the tournament. This is because Cloud servers from time to time are moved while being used. This is why randomly a server that was used in a tournament would randomly be unplayable. The only solution that I ever found was to have at least one, ideally two backup servers that were not being counted on for a tournament.
As a practical matter, you can setup an Amazon hosting account, and get one micro instance for free per account, meaning one per email address. I have 5 active accounts, and therefore 5 active servers at this time. This free use lasts one year, and then the account is suspended.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
takburger
Match Winner

Post by takburger »

so you was only using free hosting instances ?
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

Yes, I am only using free hosting instances.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
Venijn
Round Winner

Post by Venijn »

Awesome tip comp, thanks.
Click. Image
takburger
Match Winner

Post by takburger »

compguygene wrote:Yes, I am only using free hosting instances.
maybe thats why quality is poor
PokeMaster
Match Winner

Post by PokeMaster »

J Dawg wrote:
I think he meant right. having a lot of servers during a tournament is a big help. If one server crashes you have 2 or three servers to back that up, once we have a good number of servers, then we can start working on the quality of it.
Spot on, J-Dawg. Remember, quantity feeds quality—if we have more servers, it is more likely that there will be stable ones among them. I also say we aim for quantity first because it seems that almost no host has a perfect track record of playability in their server(s), so it could be a huge waste of time and money to try to find the "perfect" server. That's why I say we put it on the backburner*.

Another thing to consider, before we start asking for donations, is if we can utilize any of the other dozens of servers lying around during ladles. I'm sure there are plenty of fort servers that aren't being used during the ladle and we might as well do a little research to find all their owners and ask them if they'd be willing to donate them to the ladle.

*Of course, if the server(s) we choose are clearly subpar, getting them up to some kind of consistent quality would become a priority.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image