Neat hearing test

Anything About Anything...
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Re: Neat hearing test

Post by Jonathan »

I managed to hear all the way up to 22 kHz. I also replicated it with a 22 kHz sine wave of my own, using a 96 kHz sampling rate just to make things a little cleaner. I didn't know I could do that! But then I was the kid who was bothered by CRT TVs (close to 16 kHz) back when they were common. I only noticed I was slightly unique in that regard when, upon entering the room, I pointed out that the muted TV in a closed closet was still turned on.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Light »

Jonathan wrote:I managed to hear all the way up to 22 kHz. I also replicated it with a 22 kHz sine wave of my own, using a 96 kHz sampling rate just to make things a little cleaner. I didn't know I could do that! But then I was the kid who was bothered by CRT TVs (close to 16 kHz) back when they were common. I only noticed I was slightly unique in that regard when, upon entering the room, I pointed out that the muted TV in a closed closet was still turned on.
TV's were nothing. While they were annoying, they couldn't hold up to the little display things at the post office. OMG it hurt to be in there.
Ratchet
Match Winner

Post by Ratchet »

Oh yeah! I never thought about TV's. Great point Jonathan. I used to wonder why some people told me I was crazy when I asked them if they could hear the "scream" sound of a TV when it was turned on...
"Dream as if you'll live forever,
Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Post by LOVER$BOY »

Ratchet wrote:I was messing around with beeps in the Console (programming) and I was somewhat confused when I set the frequency to 20kHz and I couldn't hear it. I then went online to find out what the human hearing frequency was, and found this neat test. I can't hear 19kHz+, what about you guys?

http://www.noiseaddicts.com/2009/03/can ... ring-test/
I'm the same... I had headphones in and everything and I got the same thing as you dude.
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Titanoboa »

Can hear up to 19 kHz

Though, often when others hear a high frequency noise I can't hear it, so I'm surprised I got that high.
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

Ratchet wrote:Oh yeah! I never thought about TV's. Great point Jonathan. I used to wonder why some people told me I was crazy when I asked them if they could hear the "scream" sound of a TV when it was turned on...
This can make for a fun little argument. Many people are in denial about the concept that others may perceive things differently than they do, for some reason. It may seem paranormal, it may not fit with their 'egalitarian' view that people are essentially replicas, they may feel inferior, they just think it's creepy; I don't know, but something doesn't click. Often they do acknowledge it to some degree, but still downplay it as much as they can. It is not tinnitus; I just hear the TV, OK?! Tinnitus is kind of a horrible explanation, when it's evident that I extract information about real phenomena through whatever it is.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
vov
Match Winner

Post by vov »

People should be happy they don't hear that damn TV noise though.
Fippmam
Round Winner

Post by Fippmam »

That only happens with the old cathode ray tvs though. If you can hear the plasma/lcd ones then wow :o
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

More déjà vu.
Jonathan wrote:CRT TVs (close to 16 kHz) back when they were common
;)

Nowadays I hardly come across them anymore. Where they still exist they often aren't your primitive 50/60 Hz interlaced CRT, either. Next thing to eliminate would be squealing vacuum cleaners. Not as high-pitched but can be obnoxiously loud. Fixable, but who ever does something about it?
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
Fippmam
Round Winner

Post by Fippmam »

Jonathan wrote:
Nowadays I hardly come across them anymore. Where they still exist they often aren't your primitive 50/60 Hz interlaced CRT, either. Next thing to eliminate would be squealing vacuum cleaners. Not as high-pitched but can be obnoxiously loud. Fixable, but who ever does something about it?
I have one in my room back in Miami. My parents were super strict and never let me have a TV in my room for most of high school. When they finally decided to let me have a tv (senior year), it was one of those humpback CRT tvs. In hindsight, that thing sucked so bad xD