Neat hearing test

Anything About Anything...
Ratchet
Match Winner

Neat hearing test

Post by Ratchet »

I was messing around with beeps in the Console (programming) and I was somewhat confused when I set the frequency to 20kHz and I couldn't hear it. I then went online to find out what the human hearing frequency was, and found this neat test. I can't hear 19kHz+, what about you guys?

http://www.noiseaddicts.com/2009/03/can ... ring-test/
"Dream as if you'll live forever,
Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Re: Neat hearing test

Post by Light »

That's given your speakers have the ability to output that high of a frequency. I can hear higher, but mine will only play up to 17 khz.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

I can't hear anything after 16 khz.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

:/ I can't hear anything after 12 kHz. I'm, like, totally deaf man. Doctor said I need hearing aids.
Fippmam
Round Winner

Post by Fippmam »

Welp, all those heavy headphone sessions...T_T

It's funny you mention that too Light, 'cause I only went up to 16 w/ my Sennheisers (HD380pro) but I could hear up to 20 using my crappy Logitech speakers, LOL!

Then there's the added effect of me having a pathetic integrated soundcard, so :p Anyway, take the result with a grain of salt.
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Light »

Fippmam wrote:It's funny you mention that too Light, 'cause I only went up to 16 w/ my Sennheisers (HD380pro) but I could hear up to 20 using my crappy Logitech speakers, LOL!
Well, I didn't mention the other part where your speakers may play "a sound" when it tries to play it as well, letting you think you hear higher than you do. 20 khz is pretty high for low quality speakers to output, so I'd assume you didn't get the actual sound.

Anyways, just something fun to play around with. On a side note, I use my phone for this from time-to-time and it works much better than my shitty desktop speakers.
sinewav wrote::/ I can't hear anything after 12 kHz. I'm, like, totally deaf man. Doctor said I need hearing aids.
lol My mum is the same way. I checked hers before, thinking like 15 khz was extremely noticeable, but she heard nothing. :X I had to go down to 12 khz for her to slightly hear it. *doesn't wanna get old* lol
Word

Post by Word »

I tried this again and the best I get is actually 18 khz, but it's soooo difficult to hear that.
Bytes
Round Winner

Post by Bytes »

I think me earphones must drop off, I can hear 16kHz very loud but then nothing at 17kHz, at least I hope so, I'm only 18, I haven't had long enough to mess my ears up that badly...
Kinda Slow
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Kinda Slow »

I have hearing aids in both ears, but even then I heard none of them. It was fun hearing my kids beg me to stop trying. They thought I had gotten out the old ThinkGeek Annoy-a-tron 2.0.
Word

Post by Word »

OK, this is strange. I now did the test again, and this time I listened to all sounds - I used to stop after the one I can't hear. Now I can also hear the last ones (21, 22kHz) but not the ones between 18 and that. Does this mean I'm deaf in that area or is it a problem on the test's end?
Kinda Slow
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Kinda Slow »

Word

It could be that you can't hear a certain range. That's the case with me. I can't hear low or high frequencies at all. I can hear certain middle ranges 500 to 2000Hz. These high frequencies (above 8KHz) are above the range my audiologist tests anyway. Apparently nothing happens up there I need to know about.
Word

Post by Word »

Well, I know that my ears' balance system doesn't work properly, I was diagnosted with that as a baby (but I never really noticed that except when I tried to ride a bicycle and go straight) - so maybe this is related to that.
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

This is cool!
I can hear all the way up till 19 :D
My friend is in another room and I can hear 18 from there and he can't even here 14 and he's right next to it.
I suspect he thinks I must be lying, but I'm not :D
Fippmam
Round Winner

Post by Fippmam »

Lol, I remember in junior high/high school, we had a phase where we set our phones to something we used to call the silent ringtone. It was basically a beep at one of these frequencies (idr the exact one). Essentially, all the students could hear when a fellow classmate got a text, but the teachers were completely oblivious. Haha, fun times :D
Bytes
Round Winner

Post by Bytes »

up to 21kHz with laptop speakers. Probably where I top out but will have to try with some proper rated speakers when I get home.