Ladle 71

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

sinewav
Graphic Artist

Re: Ladle 71

Post by sinewav »

There was a major disruption in Ladle today. Before we talk about it I would like to take a moment to describe the situation, then explain how it was handled.

We were short two EU servers at the beginning of Ladle today: Z-man's and uNk's. Hello Team and w0t moved their match to AoT UK since Rogue Tronners had a bye. Luckily, CT USA was up in place of uNk's server, so Team Unknown and Team Germany played their first match there. Team Unknown won the first match then a server dispute followed. Team Germany tried to move the remaining matches to the public uNk server. The reasoning, from what I can tell, is that this was the server they were supposed to play in anyway even though it was not prepared for Ladle (apparently Jip is on vacation). It seems Team Unknown never fully agreed to the switch and no one was able to RINCLUDE settings to the uNk server. At this point I was called to intervene.

We do not have a rule written out for this specific situation (but we will write one now). However, based on the rules we do have, I provided this opinion:
  • There are no backup servers for the opening round of Ladle. The only way teams can move to another server is if they both fully agree. This is true of all rounds. Teams should only move if there is a critical failure of the server. In this case, CT USA was working correctly and the matches should have been completed there.
Team Germany reasoned that since most of the players were EU, moving to uNk's server was the best thing to do. Again, this is fine in later rounds where backup servers exist and when both teams agree. The team leaders were not able to solve their differences today. When team leaders cannot solve problems play must continue in the original server.

Disagreements continued and I asked the team leaders to meet me in #armagetron.tourneys. My opinion was that Team Unknown, having won the only match played, earned the right to advance. Team Germany's refusal to return to CT USA should have been considered a forfeit. Apparently this was unsatisfactory to Team Germany. Both teams had advanced to Light's server and occupied teams. The Germans suggested playing the remaining matches, but by this time is was very late, everyone was agitated and Redemption was waiting. Further complicating things is that Team Germany appeared to have members of Unknown and Redemption. With the Ladle falling seriously behind schedule I asked Team Germany to vacate the teams and allow Redemption to play Unknown. When they collectively refused I used my Ladle authority to suspend a member of Team Germany as incentive. This is not what my Ladle authority is designated for. The role of Moderator is to give authority to Team Leaders and slap scores in the event of a server crash. Outside of the respect I have in this community I have no authority to suspend or kick Team Members and for this I apologize to Team Germany. However, I think the greater good was achieved with this action. Ladle must go on. It is unfortunate we were missing two EU servers this Ladle. However, we are very lucky that kyle put up a Ladle server for us to use.

Later I would like to amend the rules to restate the above. There are no backup servers for opening rounds and teams must be in full agreement to switch servers in any round of play. If teams cannot agree, they must continue in the original server.
vov
Match Winner

Post by vov »

I apologize again for the big mess that we all made. Thanks for making a decision; although it sucks for us that we had to leave, the wait was almost worse than the dispute.
I fully agree that there has to be a clear rule for if this happens again. Part of it should be that official ladle servers are to be preferred to other servers imo, since that was the slightly unclear point in the dispute.

Edit: gz CT :)
Last edited by vov on Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ppotter
Match Winner

Post by ppotter »

I don't think there's anything more to add, aside from the obvious apologies to anyone's time who was wasted, and a thank you to sine for helping to sort it out.
Soul
Match Winner

Post by Soul »

AoT NY -1

Gz ct, gms all
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

Congrats CT.

Also, if you're going to rate servers you may as well rate all the servers you played in.
Soul
Match Winner

Post by Soul »

dlh wrote:Congrats CT.

Also, if you're going to rate servers you may as well rate all the servers you played in.

The rest were all neutral :D
Fippmam
Round Winner

Post by Fippmam »

Loki's -> (0)
CT Liv -> (-1)

Gz ct, well deserved win :)
J Dawg
Round Winner

Post by J Dawg »

gms to all of you guys!! I had so much fun!!

SOoooo close with rogue!! even closer with Redemption, it was very awesome to say the least
ImageImageImageImageImage
Gonzap
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Gonzap »

ct liv +1 aot ny -1

Was a fun ladle even though I think it'd have been funnier if we switched servers in finals. Anyways I want to congratulate my teammates for being awesome and specially Over for his contribution on the victory. Was great playing with him.
akira
Core Dumper

Post by akira »

Congrats CT.

Great matches Hoax & co. Sometimes you lose with an average match score of 98.

Also -1 to Team Germany. That was some needlessly obnoxious behaviour you guys displayed there.
Cronix
Match Winner

Post by Cronix »

All of Team Germany deserve an apology from Thump. Even Roter deserves one.
Signature? wtf...
J Dawg
Round Winner

Post by J Dawg »

CT LIV +1

Aot NY Fk it +1 ( there were some lags for me but nothing serious, although I know a lot of people in AOT NY had communication problems) Ex. Xyron, gonzap, soul.
ImageImageImageImageImage
vov
Match Winner

Post by vov »

Yeah nix that guy flamed pretty hard... boo to him.
wildcat
Average Program

Post by wildcat »

This was probably the biggest waste of time I've ever experienced in a ladle. No UNKERS including House had ownership to add the proper configs to the server. It was not an "official" ladle server. The only available was CT USA which you all agreed to play in since that was our only option. I might should mention, we wasted 15-20 minutes getting vov to join that server for the first match. After a one sided loss, they all quit and went to a non ladle server and refused to come back and play.

We've all experienced disadvantages when having to switch servers in a ladle. Just bite the bullet and do your best. You defeated yourself before it even started by complaining about the server (I might add that no euro unker, including Aiph in germany) had a problem with.

As for Thump, I'm not aware of what happened there. It couldnt had been any worse than the behavior Team Germany showed during the match. Good thing I have a two year old at home because it taught me how to deal with temper tantrums.

In conclusion, This issue is dead to me now. No hard feelings toward anyone here. Let's just use this as a learning experience so it don't happen in the future.

Gm's to RD. Very close, hard fought matches.
DaGarBBaGeMAN
Core Dumper

Post by DaGarBBaGeMAN »

Wow I just got back home and checked the results, and I have to say I'm shocked. Rd really seemed to have the finals wrapped up when I was there (especially after Over left). Ct is DEFINITELY the most clutch team I know, so hats off to you guys! Even though I haven't seen the recordings, I know for sure that no one deserved this victory more than you guys. Great to see you recover from your slump and back on top of things! :D
Image -made by az95