[AFL] NEED SERVERS! Rosters are locked Friday 23:59 GMT

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

DDMJ
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

[AFL] NEED SERVERS! Rosters are locked Friday 23:59 GMT

Post by DDMJ »

---

After listening to all of your suggestions and feedback, I'm going to try and run the AFL. Here's how it will work:
  • The 10 teams will be randomly assigned to 2 different conferences
  • The 5 teams in each conference will play a round-robin style regular season
  • This means that each team will play each of the other teams in its conference, totaling 4 regular season games
  • The first 2 regular season games will be played on July 14th
  • The last 2 will be played on July 21st
  • The top 2 teams from each conference will meet in the playoffs ("Final Four") on July 28th
Now, in regards to how the games will function:
  • 7v7 (haters gon' hate)
  • Each "game" will be 4 matches up to 100
  • If a team is winning 3-0, the fourth match will not be played
  • Teams are awarded 3 points for a win, 1 point for a tie, and 0 points for a loss
  • The first game each weekend will be played at 18 GMT
  • The second game will be played at 19 GMT
  • Information about server selection and tiebreaker scenarios will come later
Sign ups will open this Sunday, June 23rd. Remember, there are only 10 spots available. Alternatively, if we have exactly 14 teams that want to sign up, I could potentially modify the system, but I'll deal with that later if it comes up.
Last edited by DDMJ on Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:19 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Monkey
Match Winner

Re: [AFL] Sign ups open THIS SUNDAY, JUNE 23

Post by Monkey »

Durka, I really appreciate you running this and I know that you should have the final say but I'm not convinced about some of the rules/functioning of this league and I guess I'm probably not the only one.
  • 1) I really think it needs to be 6v6 for a start. I think we could do with a poll on this because it's so important. In my opinion (and hopefully in other many other people's opinions too) clans exist for competitions like this and the Ladle and we should use the same number of players in each.
  • 2) Two conferences of randomly selected teams - I can understand this for the first season but for subsequent seasons I think we should have one conference with two divisions based on performance.
  • 3) Two games in a day, one hour apart?
Last edited by Monkey on Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Playing since December 2006
Ratchet
Match Winner

Post by Ratchet »

Additional concerns, Friday?! 18GMT? That's likely to conflict with Americans who have jobs.
"Dream as if you'll live forever,
Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean
Light

Post by Light »

Ratchet wrote:Additional concerns, Friday?! 18GMT? That's likely to conflict with Americans who have jobs.
True. That's 14:00 EDT and over in Cali it'll only be 11:00. On the other hand, 20:00 EDT would be like 1:00 for EU players I think. Something like that anyways, so that's also a bit of a pain for them.

Maybe Monday through Friday isn't the best time?
Monkey
Match Winner

Post by Monkey »

The matches would be on Sunday, not Monday to Friday guys :P
Light

Post by Light »

Monkey wrote:The matches would be on Sunday, not Monday to Friday guys :P
That's true with the date posted ..
Ratchet wrote:Additional concerns, Friday?! 18GMT? That's likely to conflict with Americans who have jobs.
You are looking at June, not July. Pfft ... confuse me do ya?!
DDMJ

Post by DDMJ »

The matches will be played on Sunday, not Friday...
Monkey wrote:
  • 1) I really think it needs to be 6v6 for a start. I think we could do with a poll on this because it's so important. In my opinion (and hopefully in other many other people's opinions too) clans exist for competitions like this and the Ladle and we should use the same number of players in each.
This isn't the Ladle, but I see what you mean about 6v6. My thought process was: servers are much better than they were 7 years ago when we ran 8v8, 7v7 will bring about more/different strategies, and it also allows and encourages more participation since more people can play. I'll add a poll to this topic and we'll see what people say.
Monkey wrote:
  • 2) Two conferences of randomly selected teams - I can understand this for the first season but for subsequent seasons I think we should have one conference with two divisions based on performance.
Yes, I'm thinking of doing this, but again, we have to start somewhere in the first season. Hence why they will be randomly assigned.
Monkey wrote:
  • 3) Two games in a day, one hour apart?
Ok, maybe the games will take over one hour. The Ladle schedule says only 45 minutes per game. Basically, once both teams finish their first game, they start the next one.
Ratchet
Match Winner

Post by Ratchet »

Light wrote:
Monkey wrote:The matches would be on Sunday, not Monday to Friday guys :P
That's true with the date posted ..
You are looking at June, not July. Pfft ... confuse me do ya?!
Herpderp.
vov
Match Winner

Post by vov »

Monkey wrote:I really think it needs to be 6v6 for a start. I think we could do with a poll on this because it's so important. In my opinion (and hopefully in other many other people's opinions too) clans exist for competitions like this and the Ladle and we should use the same number of players in each.
No, 7v7 is cool (or even 8v8* heh). This is NOT the ladle and should bring some variety to fortress in my opinion. Plus I don't need to play in a clan for this and I don't think all clans are only suited for 6v6 anyways.

* Maybe try 8v8 and a slightly bigger map? 650x500 instead of 500x500 (length x width)? More space, more moves&tactics :) (that idea already got rejected several times, without testing of course, but might as well try again)
Monkey
Match Winner

Post by Monkey »

Thanks for listening to feedback Durka.
Durka wrote:servers are much better than they were 7 years ago when we ran 8v8, 7v7 will bring about more/different strategies
vov wrote:7v7 is cool (or even 8v8* heh)
I really like 8v8, I just think that we should have the same number of people as the Ladle. Maybe one day the Ladle will change to be 8v8 again :P
ppotter
Match Winner

Post by ppotter »

Why should we have the same number as Ladle? if anything, this should be distinctly different from the ladle.
Ratchet
Match Winner

Post by Ratchet »

Monkey wrote:
vov wrote:7v7 is cool (or even 8v8* heh)
I really like 8v8, I just think that we should have the same number of people as the Ladle. Maybe one day the Ladle will change to be 8v8 again :P
Now that's a thought.
DaGarBBaGeMAN
Core Dumper

Post by DaGarBBaGeMAN »

Hey I voted 6v6, but I'd like to switch to 5v5 or 6v6 or 7v7 (teams agree, based on how many players they each have)
Image -made by az95

Monkey
Match Winner

Post by Monkey »

ppotter wrote:Why should we have the same number as Ladle? if anything, this should be distinctly different from the ladle.
  • 1) To me, the point of being in a team/clan is to play competitive fortress for that team/clan, playing with people that I want to play with. My clan is setup for this purpose, currently for 6v6 because that seems to be the standard. I don't understand what else is the point of being in a team/clan.
  • 2) The AFL is a league while the Ladle is a knockout tournament. In real life sports you tend to have both, without any changes to the game format. Take football (soccer) as an example. Club teams play in both a league and in knockout tournaments without any change to the game format. Can you imagine if they played the league with 11 players and knockout tournaments with 13 players? It wouldn't happen.
  • 3) We do have some tournaments that are specifically designed to be different (Ratchet's FFA springs to mind).
I just think that we need at least one league (AFL) and one knockout tournament (Ladle) that follow a set standard.
Concord

Post by Concord »

serious, non-clan fortress would be a very good thing for the community. You have your clan that plays ladle and you are on a league team as well. Something closer to a professional sports league in terms of how players and teams are related to one another. Of course we cannot pay players to play for teams, so it's hard to organize a system that doesn't just depend on social relations. Theoretically, the culture of a league could be strong enough to replace money or social reasons as the incentive to play for a team. That was part of the goal of ISL, and non-social organization maybe halfway worked in the first season.