Xbox One

Anything About Anything...
Fippmam
Round Winner

Re: Xbox One

Post by Fippmam »

I wonder what became of PS Home.

Anyway it seems like most people will be hopping on Sony for the next gen consoles. It'll be interesting to see what else Xb1 will have to offer, now that Microsoft has their work cut out for them.
wildcat
Average Program

Post by wildcat »

I would say online service will cost the same for each service which is $50 a piece. The only reason XBL is cheaper at times is because Amazon etc.. run specials on it. Once demand increases, that will stop. One common sense thing PS4 is doing is not requiring a subscription if you just want to watch Netflix, Hulu, etc... How dumb to require a subscription for another subscription. Btw, I have PS Plus and love the service. I've received a bunch of games for PS3, Vita etc.. The games in itself pays for the service.

As for the new Sony User Interface, this video from IGN is pretty cool. Check it out.
http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/06/19/th ... looks-like

Here's slower rewind version from ign http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/06/19/ps ... nd-theater <--- Recommended
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Tobe wrote:I still remember playing some [Jet Grind Radio] and Sonic Adventure back when I had my console.
Yeah, those are two of the games included with the one I bought—the main reason I picked out that one on Craigslist—but I still haven't played the damn thing because of the crazy prices on VGA boxes/adaptors right now. I'm not going to do composite video, especially on a 720p television.
Its amazing to think that Sega discontinued their console franchise when they were so far ahead in tech.
PS2's ability to play DVD's is what did it.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Oh Microsoft. These days, only you seem to be able to turn the announcement of an good free game into a minor debacle. Read the comments. It's their site. Shouldn't there be some fans there?

Ok, since nobody seems to want to defend them, let me try here. Call it inverse Advocatus Diaboli.
1. Yes, the majority of reports had misinterpreted MS' statements that AC2 and H3 were July's games and nothing was done by MS to correct that. BAD PR. Still, the total expected scope of the program has not changed. It always had to be expected that XBLA games would be included. Now it is confirmed. Would have happened later, anyway.
2. For the game age complaints, how old are AC2 and H3? So there. That was what you could reasonably expect.
3. So some official tweet says "Halo 3 next month." Don't be mad at that! That means it will be the second game now, obviously. (If not, be mad then.)
4. It IS a pretty good game. Maybe better than Fable 3?
Hmm. Guess all I'm saying is that this should have been expected. Not much of a defense BUT I TRIED!
Bytes
Round Winner

Post by Bytes »

My cousin's got his hands on a PS4, smug little bastard.
Fippmam
Round Winner

Post by Fippmam »

Bytes wrote:My cousin's got his hands on a PS4, smug little bastard.
...how? I really doubt it.

I preordered it though :D
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

Fippmam wrote:
Obviously he knows a guy who knows a guy! :D
Clutch
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Clutch »

"If Xbox were to have a game like Smash Bros or PS All Stars it would consist of Master Chief, Marcus Fenix and a Forza car."

:lol:
Boxed
Bytes
Round Winner

Post by Bytes »

ConVicT wrote:
Fippmam wrote:
Obviously he knows a guy who knows a guy! :D
He's an intern with them with a guaranteed job after uni, got his hands on one of the dev kits. Has been using a prototype as a footrest as well.
Ratchet
Match Winner

Post by Ratchet »

"Dream as if you'll live forever,
Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean
Fippmam
Round Winner

Post by Fippmam »

Psh already preordered. f ms
Ratchet
Match Winner

Post by Ratchet »

Actually, food for thought, **** that.

Self-developed games. Required Kinect (camera included).

I see great (hacking) things coming from this......

Privacy is so 20th century anyways.....
"Dream as if you'll live forever,
Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... all-rumour

According to the second update, what we can expect is a rebirth of XBLIG, which, while noble in spirit, wasn't such a huge success by whatever metric you want to apply, and pretty much neglected by Microsoft like an unwanted stepchild. Games are likely to be restricted, probably to what Windows 8 apps can do on RT tablets (plus achievements and Kinect). Word is that on PS4, no such restrictions exist. Still: cautiously optimistic, waiting for full announcements.

Also, check out this Kinect 2 demo video:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... ds-On-Demo
Pretty neat; definitely less lag now, and it's great how they abuse the flight time sensor to also get an image with eliminated ambient lights. But the thing quite obviously has massive trouble seeing the woman's black pants. It's nothing but noise in the depth scan and in the skeletal view, her legs frequently jerk around. So dress sensibly. Also still problematic: limbs hiding other limbs, limbs pointing at the camera. I guess developers will need to avoid encouraging those poses. And calling BS on the heart rate thing. No way that is going to work reliably while you actually move.

I have to admit, the Kinect thing may be what pushes me over the edge to the BBone, provided they bother to actually release any games for it (Sports Rivals was just delayed, and that was kind of the only motion game announced so far). Z-Girl likes Once Upon a Monster quite a lot, even though at her current age, that means "force daddy to play and run around screaming Oodie Moma*" for the most part. And I don't quite think the "YOU are the controller" thing is as intuitive as MS would like. She will always fetch the controller, any controller really, at least at the start. Even though the only button she figured out so far is the "On" button. Anyway, digress. With the most important red flags at least lowered now, good Kids Games for Kinect 2 may make me buy the thing.

* Well, Umemoma, really, because it's Krümelmonster in German.
Tobe
Round Winner

Post by Tobe »

Z-Man wrote:Of course they would never revert back to the full account binding, always online model in one go. They would do it gradually. Look at the current state of the 360. Use it without being logged in to Live. Features that have no reason not to work, do not work. ...
I see what you are saying now. There is actually no doubt in my mind that Microsoft will continue to push their online services through updates that just make it harder on the user to ignore the fact that they do not have LIVE. Worst part of it is, the Xbox dashboard used to have like one or two ads, but now the ads are everywhere.
Phytotron wrote:
Tobe wrote:I still remember playing some [Jet Grind Radio] and Sonic Adventure back when I had my console.
Yeah, those are two of the games included with the one I bought—the main reason I picked out that one on Craigslist—but I still haven't played the damn thing because of the crazy prices on VGA boxes/adaptors right now. I'm not going to do composite video, especially on a 720p television.
Yeah I tried that once. It was horribly laggy from upscaling. It also looked very weird on my TV.
Phytotron wrote:
Tobe wrote:Its amazing to think that Sega discontinued their console franchise when they were so far ahead in tech.
PS2's ability to play DVD's is what did it.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. That's definitely it then.
Z-Man wrote:Ok, since nobody seems to want to defend them, let me try here. Call it inverse Advocatus Diaboli.
Yeah, I didn't expect much considering how old AC2 and H3 are but the wording on when they were going to be released felt way too misleading. Still, people were just comparing it to PSN's free game program a bit too much.

Now some updates to Xbox One and PlayStation 4:
  • 1. Xbox One's Announced 50 Game Line-Up

2. List of Confirmed PlayStation 4 Games

3. Xbox One Games Will Now Be Region-Free

4. Kinect Can Now Be Disabled While Playing the Xbox One
    IGN Article wrote:How “off” can Kinect be when the system is in use?

WHITTEN: You have the ability to completely turn the sensor off in your settings. When in this mode, the sensor is not collecting any information. Any functionality that relies on voice, video, gesture or more won’t work. We still support using it for IR blasting in this mode. You can turn the sensor back on at any time through settings, and if you enter into a required Kinect experience (like Kinect Sports Rivals for instance), you’ll get a message asking if you want to turn the sensor back on in order to continue.
    5. At Gamescon, Sony announced the official launch date of the PlayStation 4 as November 15 in North America and November 29 in Europe.

6. Xbox One, without an actual confirm date, also is expected to launch sometime in November.
For the Kinect announcement, who knows if they mean it can actually be disconnected or if it needs to be in the Xbox One still, just disabled in settings.
<-- Proud co-leader of Rogue Tronners
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

Anyone bought one and tried it yet?