VPS/Website

For all the help you need with Armagetron!
Ratchet
Match Winner

VPS/Website

Post by Ratchet »

We've got tons of gurus around here, figured the most direct path to an answer would be asking here rather than IRC.
Target audience: kyle, light, epsy, vital, zero, lukejr, and you sorts that have VPS experience.

My VPS: EoReality
RAM: 1GB
HDD: 25GB RAID-10 HDD
Bandwidth: 1TB
Broadband port: 100mbps

My Website: http://www.bot-net.org

I currently have my website pointing to my VPS IP rather than the Godaddy IP address where I'm paying for hosting at.
(Meaning my domain is showing the index.html on my VPS rather than my Godaddy hosted website.)

Okay, here's the question(s):

- What/where did you guys use to register your domain? Do you recommend one in the future?
I used Godaddy. I presume they're not a terrible service, are they?

- Any of you that have a website - like Light for sure - do you use online hosting for your website?
Like, say, would you use Godaddy's hosting tools to edit/upload/maintain things on your website? Or do you have your website running off of your VPS?

- I currently pay $4 a month to use Godaddy's hosting/website building and management tools.
Should I continue paying that fee to keep my website and server separate? Would I be losing (noticable) tron performance by also hosting my website files on my VPS?

- If you recommend that I host my website files on my VPS - is there a panel of sorts that I could install on my VPS to manage my website?
Godaddy's management panel looks like this: http://oi41.tinypic.com/20gxt9x.jpg
(I'm not keen on some of the useless shit they have there, but you get the idea - something rather easy to look at to manage everything)

The biggest thing lingering in my mind is if you guys host your website on your VPS, and if so, how much performance you're losing by doing so.
"Dream as if you'll live forever,
Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Re: VPS/Website

Post by compguygene »

I personally always setup a VPS for Armagetron, just for Armagetron. You can host a simple website that does not use MySQL w/o impacting performance. However, MySQL can be an absolute pig on resources at times that does not affect website performance, but does cause these weird, random lags. It really does depend on exactly what kind of website, with what services you enable. A simple HTML site, for example is fine, as long as it is not getting tons of traffic. One issue that I have noticed when running Armagetron Game Servers is that the memory usage of a single server can easily spike to eat up most of the available memory of your VPS.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Light »

Well, this will be fun ..
Ratchet wrote:- What/where did you guys use to register your domain? Do you recommend one in the future?
When I actually get a paid domain, I use namecheap. Currently, I'm using .tk so it's free. Just renew it once a year.
Ratchet wrote:=- Any of you that have a website - like Light for sure - do you use online hosting for your website?
Like, say, would you use Godaddy's hosting tools to edit/upload/maintain things on your website? Or do you have your website running off of your VPS?
I hate shared hosts. I know that it is good for most people, but I like being able to use all the resources necessary for certain things. Some hosts like fatcow will limit sql queries, so things like a chat (unless flatfile) is out of the question. Shared hosts just tend to be a pain in the ass.

I host my site off of my home server. It's where I host my tron servers too. There's not enough traffic to bother paying for hosting, so I don't bother. If I did, I would probably get a dedicated server, but that time probably wont come.
Ratchet wrote:- I currently pay $4 a month to use Godaddy's hosting/website building and management tools.
Should I continue paying that fee to keep my website and server separate? Would I be losing (noticable) tron performance by also hosting my website files on my VPS?
I would do them on the same server. Neither use enough resources for it to matter, unless you're hosting media on your site, then you may run into some bandwidth issues depending on speed caps. As long as you're not hosting videos and whatnot, I don't see why you would bother with an extra host for a site that doesn't get much traffic.
Ratchet wrote:- If you recommend that I host my website files on my VPS - is there a panel of sorts that I could install on my VPS to manage my website?
Godaddy's management panel looks like this: http://oi41.tinypic.com/20gxt9x.jpg
(I'm not keen on some of the useless shit they have there, but you get the idea - something rather easy to look at to manage everything)
cPanel should work for ya, I believe. I haven't used anything like that in a long time, so not sure if there have been better ones out or not.
Ratchet wrote:The biggest thing lingering in my mind is if you guys host your website on your VPS, and if so, how much performance you're losing by doing so.
This depends on your bandwidth mostly. Since you have a VPS, there's no worry. You wont notice a difference.

If you're worried about it, you could always try it for a week and see, but you shouldn't see any change in performance. If you do, it's likely because you have a resource hogging script (something that needs fixed). You can check our your resources though at any time if you feel something is slow, and see what's going on.

---------------------------------------

So, for an easy answer. I would just host the site on your VPS as long as it's not a media site or gets a ton of traffic, which I doubt very much if it's an armagetron site. Sorry, I didn't look at it. :P
Light

Post by Light »

compguygene wrote:I personally always setup a VPS for Armagetron, just for Armagetron. You can host a simple website that does not use MySQL w/o impacting performance. However, MySQL can be an absolute pig on resources at times that does not affect website performance, but does cause these weird, random lags.
If you correctly set up a site, it should have one query and usually store to a session if it needs recalled too much. I've never had an issue with MySQL and Armagetron servers being side-by-side. I even use MySQL for some of my servers, and hold a connection open while the server is in multiplayer mode.
compguygene wrote:One issue that I have noticed when running Armagetron Game Servers is that the memory usage of a single server can easily spike to eat up most of the available memory of your VPS.
Again, I've never had this issue. Maybe a script (like Cookie's happy fun time), but the server itself never uses much memory or CPU for me. And I would say that Cookie's script, if rewritten correctly, wouldn't take up that much CPU.
Ratchet
Match Winner

Post by Ratchet »

Ah, thanks Gene. I'm really new to the gig so I wasn't sure if there was the sort of "OMGLULZ YOU THINK A WEBSITE WILL TAKE UP SPACE ON A VPS?" answer.

@Light: So you're saying it works just fine for you? What VPS/resources available are you running, though?
Light

Post by Light »

Ratchet wrote:@Light: So you're saying it works just fine for you? What VPS/resources available are you running, though?
I am hosting it all off of a home PC. Running Ubuntu 13.04. Though it does have 6 GB RAM, the tron servers and apache don't use much of it. With a couple full servers plus the website in use, you can barely notice a difference in usage. It stays around 1 GB of memory usage unless i'm doing other stuff, and that's a lot more running than what you will have on a server build running tron and a webserver.

Also, you would probably go with something like Debian or another distro without the extra packages, which uses less resources yet.
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

Light, I have to wonder if you have ever watched the actual memory usage during a 6v6 or 8v8 Fortress match or 12 person sumo match? It is under those conditions that I have seen the memory usage spikes that have occasionally caused lag spikes. Knowing Ratchet, I assume these are the kind of servers he may want to host.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
Ratchet
Match Winner

Post by Ratchet »

Yeah, I have Debian 6 64bit installed. Uhm, okay. I dunno yet! I kinda want to install everything onto my server but I don't know how troublesome that'll be
Last edited by Ratchet on Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Light

Post by Light »

compguygene wrote:Light, I have to wonder if you have ever watched the actual memory usage during a 6v6 or 8v8 Fortress match or 12 person sumo match?
I'm pretty sure a 10-12 person DF or CTF game would take up more resources and I haven't noticed it. I'll watch next time just to see for sure, but with three full servers, I barely noticed a difference in RAM or CPU usage.
Light

Post by Light »

Ratchet wrote:Yeah, I have Debian 6 64bit installed. Uhm, okay. I dunno yet! I kinda want to install everything onto my server but I don't know how troublesome that'll be
Just stick your web root into a tarball, download it with wget on your VPS, and extract. Nice 'n fast. :)
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Post by LOVER$BOY »

Ratchet wrote:Target audience: kyle, light, epsy, vital, zero, lukejr, and you sorts that have VPS experience.
So I'm not considered having VPS experience... great! :evil:
Ratchet wrote:- What/where did you guys use to register your domain? Do you recommend one in the future?
I've registered my domain Vertrex.tk with 8ing which, I have to admit, it a lot better than ANY service I have used in my 4 years of online hosting.

Service is great, prices are cheap and performance is truely amazing!
Ratchet wrote:- Any of you that have a website - like Light for sure - do you use online hosting for your website?
I'm using oper.8ing.com server for hosting my website which is amazingly fast! That server belongs to 8ing community. I also have a VPS from them which is quite amazing, fast download and high memory + disk space :D
Ratchet wrote:- I currently pay $4 a month to use Godaddy's hosting/website building and management tools.
The prices at 8ing are very cheap and I personally have my website for free because I know the owner (Sean Strong) and I have helped him many times in his community. He's even given me free VPS to use which has high performance rate, download is extremely fast and memory is a big one! I'm even running a mumble client in there ;)
Ratchet wrote:- If you recommend that I host my website files on my VPS - is there a panel of sorts that I could install on my VPS to manage my website?
These are the current spcs I have for my vps: http://person.8ing.com/specs.txt

As for a panel, I'm not sure. I'm currently using WinSCP (I'm using Windows OS) to upload files and stuff onto the vps I have.
Last edited by LOVER$BOY on Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:59 am, edited 4 times in total.
Renegade
Core Dumper

Post by Renegade »

I wouldn't get cPanel, the license costs money, and imo it'd be better to get Virtualmin as it's light on resources :d another alternative might be Zend or kloxo if you dun like it.
Light

Post by Light »

LOVER$BOY wrote:I've registered my domain Vertrex.tk with 8ing which, I have to admit, it a lot better than ANY service I have used in my 4 years of online hosting.
.tk addresses are free at http://dot.tk
Renegade wrote:I wouldn't get cPanel, the license costs money, and imo it'd be better to get Virtualmin as it's light on resources :d another alternative might be Zend or kloxo if you dun like it.
I wasn't talking about payin' for it. :P
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Post by LOVER$BOY »

Light wrote:
LOVER$BOY wrote:I've registered my domain Vertrex.tk with 8ing which, I have to admit, it a lot better than ANY service I have used in my 4 years of online hosting.
.tk addresses are free at http://dot.tk
Ya the domains from dot.tk are free but you need a server to make that domain work though :P
Light

Post by Light »

LOVER$BOY wrote:.tk addresses are free at http://dot.tk
Ya the domains from dot.tk are free but you need a server to make that domain work though :P[/quote]
A webserver, but he already has two of them. lol Nameservers are provided by them, unless you choose to use your own.