Arma-Dedicated (Debian)

Post here if you need help setting up your server, etc.
Ratchet
Match Winner

Arma-Dedicated (Debian)

Post by Ratchet »

Hey. I wanted to mess around with servers a bit so I got a VPS located in Chicago, IL from EoReality.

I logged in simple enough and set up an account so I'm not always on root and then left it at that. I booted into Ubuntu on my own PC and searched the internet to figure out how to install a package completely through command line.

So, I tested it on my comp:

1. cd /home/joshua/testing
2. wget (direct link to armagetronad-styctap-sty+ct+ap-0.2.9_alpha_r849.src.tar.gz)
3. tar -xzvf download (that's what it named the package upon dowloading it - with no extension)
- it then unzipped the package and created the folder with all the files in it named armagetronad-styctap-0.2.9-sty+ct+ap_alpha_r849
4. installed dependencies

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install bzr  build-essential automake libboost-dev libxml2-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev 
sudo apt-get libsdl-mixer1.2-dev ftgl-dev libglew-dev bison pkg-config autoconf 
sudo apt-get autotools-dev libprotobuf-dev protobuf-compiler libboost-thread-dev
5. cd to armagetronad-styctap-0.2.9-sty+ct+ap_alpha_r849
6. ./bootstrap.sh
7. /configure --disableglout --enable-dedicated
8. make
9. sudo make install

As far as I can tell, that only installed the client. What did I do wrong? I'm trying to get the process right on my computer with the intentions of just repeating on my Debian 6 64bit VPS.

Is there a more effective method?
"Dream as if you'll live forever,
Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Re: Arma-Dedicated (Debian)

Post by Light »

From the package name, I would assume you got the client, and not the server. I'm assuming he stuck with the same file naming, which would make the servers have "dedicated" in their title.

Also, you may want to check out the script here. It will install the sty+ct server if you use it, but you might like the differences in the ./configure line to stick everything in an easily accessible place, and not stick files everywhere.
Ratchet
Match Winner

Post by Ratchet »

Awesome. Thanks Light. I'll get to reading when I get home this afternoon. :)

EDIT: Also, as far as I could tell, in the sourceforge folder the only "clearly-marked" dedicated was the windows executable. I didn't see a linux -dedicated.
Light

Post by Light »

You might have better luck grabbing the latest release via bzr.
https://code.launchpad.net/~armagetrona ... -sty+ct+ap
Light

Post by Light »

I should note that you'll want to enable auths and use ZThread. You can use ./configure --help to see more options.
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

./configure --disableglout --enable-dedicated
The option is “--disable-glout”, and you only need one of the “--disable-glout” or “--enable-dedicated” flags.
Light

Post by Light »

dlh wrote:The option is “--disable-glout”, and you only need one of the “--disable-glout” or “--enable-dedicated” flags.
*feels stupid for a moment* Start to forget a bit when you make scripts to do everything for ya. lol
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

Don't feel stupid, the behavior of autoconf is strange here: it doesn't produce errors for unknown flags (ok, the reasoning behind that is understandable), but for some reason assumes “--disableglout” takes an argument—the “--enable-dedicated” flag doesn't end up being processed.
Ratchet
Match Winner

Post by Ratchet »

Light, I'm still pretty antsy about installing things when I can't even see what's going on. I feel like I'll break something on my VPS way before I finish getting bazaar installed and getting the latest branch from launchpad.

Also.

You stated in one of your first posts about getting the dedicated package because I only got the client. AFAIK the link you gave me to get the bzr is the same file name as I downloaded - the "client" one. There are no clear packages marked ..-dedicated that are in linux form. Am I doing something wrong? Where can I find them?
Renegade
Core Dumper

Post by Renegade »

Ratchet wrote:Light, I'm still pretty antsy about installing things when I can't even see what's going on.
You can go to the linked script, Light commented each part of it, and lot could be to your benefit to read it :)

Light installed it on my VPS :d and I can assure you, it is nothing malicious, and very convenient.

:p
Light

Post by Light »

Ratchet wrote:Light, I'm still pretty antsy about installing things when I can't even see what's going on.
It was just an offer. You can view the script with cat install.sh before you run it if you would feel better about it.
Ratchet wrote:I feel like I'll break something on my VPS way before I finish getting bazaar installed and getting the latest branch from launchpad.
sudo apt-get install bzr
Ratchet wrote:You stated in one of your first posts about getting the dedicated package because I only got the client. AFAIK the link you gave me to get the bzr is the same file name as I downloaded - the "client" one. There are no clear packages marked ..-dedicated that are in linux form. Am I doing something wrong? Where can I find them?
I made a mistake. Sorry about that. The packages are all three, the master server, game client, and game server. You just have to choose what to configure and build.

Check out the script, as Cookie said. Even if you don't run it, it will likely help you with the installation. You can see every command that would be run.

You should also set up ZThread, which can be found in the script as well.

As for getting the server to build, you just need to add the --disable-glout flag on ./configure as dlh was saying above.
Renegade wrote:You can go to the linked script, Light commented each part of it, and lot could be to your benefit to read it :)
lol I forgot I put them comments in there. Should save a little time explaining. :P

~ Note to Ratchet ~
If you do choose to use the script, please check the (very easy-to-follow) instructions on the wiki.

Wiki Page / Instructions: Setting Up Multiple Armagetron Servers the Easy Way

If you happen to need any help, feel free to ask.
Ratchet
Match Winner

Post by Ratchet »

I was a bit into the manual process when I recalled that you had made a script for it. I then deleted what I had started, and just read over your script. Then, I installed using your script.

I never really doubted the legitimacy of your method, haha, I just hadn't looked into it AT ALL, literally. I didn't know how easy/difficult it would be. Turns out it was extremely easy, and more convenient if a script set up all the folders like they needed to be. So, thanks for the script. +1.

only question thus far is why there isn't a wiki list of custom.txt commands :D I don't know any of them.

But yeah, I got it up and running. Made a few folders for additional servers. Only *complaint* is that when I start my servers up via the

sudo -s -u joshua . boot.sh myServer
it starts up the server and before the script finishes it detects the server was started and outputs "Killing myServer."

The server stays up, it just gets confused and outputs that it's killing the server haha.

But, thanks! I also modified the scripts.cfg so that the server was myServer-r and myServer-adminlog on screens so that when I typed "screen -x myServer" I don't get the problem of having multiple myServer 's to choose from (which meant I had to use PID to open it)

I open the screens with screen -x myServer-r

(suggested by kyle)
Light

Post by Light »

Ratchet wrote:I was a bit into the manual process when I recalled that you had made a script for it. I then deleted what I had started, and just read over your script. Then, I installed using your script.

I never really doubted the legitimacy of your method, haha, I just hadn't looked into it AT ALL, literally. I didn't know how easy/difficult it would be. Turns out it was extremely easy, and more convenient if a script set up all the folders like they needed to be. So, thanks for the script. +1.
You always have the option of manually typing out the commands as well. But, since the script is already made, and says what each part does, it's easier for you to look there. Even if you didn't use the script to install, it would help you to know what you're doing yourself.
Ratchet wrote:only question thus far is why there isn't a wiki list of custom.txt commands :D I don't know any of them.
Check your language file, and add whatever you want in to the custom.txt with a new value.
Ratchet wrote:But yeah, I got it up and running. Made a few folders for additional servers. Only *complaint* is that when I start my servers up via the

sudo -s -u joshua . boot.sh myServer
it starts up the server and before the script finishes it detects the server was started and outputs "Killing myServer."

The server stays up, it just gets confused and outputs that it's killing the server haha.
It just attempts to kill the server before it runs a new one. Prevents multiples of the same server from running on you. If it really bothers you, just remove the echo line that says it killed the server.
Ratchet wrote:I open the screens with screen -x myServer-r
I just do "screen -ls" and kill by ID rather than by name.
kyle
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

Light wrote:
Ratchet wrote:I open the screens with screen -x myServer-r
I just do "screen -ls" and kill by ID rather than by name.
-x is attach, not kill :)
Light

Post by Light »

kyle wrote:I just do "screen -ls" and kill by ID rather than by name.
-x is attach, not kill :)[/quote]
Sorry, was thinking -X which usually the command executed is kill. But, the ID would still work as the identifier rather than having to have special names, though I know it's easier to remember if you get used to a certain name. I tend to use the ID even when I can use the name though.