For the ones loving Tron

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
KnowThyself

For the ones loving Tron

Post by KnowThyself »

If you people wish for arma to stay alive, then you should have to take pride in having a community.
'Some' of you may want to change your attitude, and not act like an absolute retard, in order to retain this community.
Else, people will be leaving.
Some have already left, and many more will continue to leave if this goes on.
Is that what you want?

After my gaming experience this night, i seriously consider to do leave.
There was no way to reason. there was no way to connect.
There was nothing but the feeling of being surrounded by absolute goons
with which i did not want to play with.
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Re: For the ones loving Tron

Post by LOVER$BOY »

KnowThyself wrote:If you people wish for arma to stay alive, then you should have to take pride in having a community.
'Some' of you may want to change your attitude, and not act like an absolute retard, in order to retain this community.
Else, people will be leaving.
Some have already left, and many more will continue to leave if this goes on.
Is that what you want?

After my gaming experience this night, i seriously consider to do leave.
Welcome to the community. The word different is the reason for our behavior. Besides if you really do consider what the idiots out there speak then your more hopeless than me. I don't know if your a guy or girl but usually only guys play the game. So please forgive me if I offend you in my message :(

Let me tell you something. Right now I'm VERY active in the programming side of tron. No one knows (except few whom I stay in contact with). The reason to that is because they don't pay attention to what I do or how much struggle I go through to try and come up with ideas for additions for the game. Originally I wasn't a programmer. I was a simple gamer like you but I wanted to give back to the game I loved so much. That was when I started programming, reading through more than 2000-3000 lines to understand how it all worked.

I was upset at first but after talking with my friends I let go of my pitiful feelings and kept programming. Got my motivation back and kept programming so that one day, if ever I disappear the Dev would take time to see what I did and hopefully implement it into the main line. That's my final hope if ever I disappear (leave or die). I don't fear death but I fear for the future and, most of all, the generations to come after me.

I considered leaving many times since 2010. Bullies, idiots and dorks surrounded the servers I usually played in. Most of the annoying of all were trolls. Mindless beasts that say whatever they like because they have a brain to think with. But not everyone is like that.

Look at the users here. Take: (naming as they come to me)
sinewav
compguygene
vov
Z-Man
Tank Program
phytotron
epsy
Light
delinquent
Jonathan
ConVicT
XD|VIPer <= Always doing something crazy but he's good
dukevin
Renegade
Jip
kyle

and any other people I couldn't name by my head (I have memory problems). They have been in the community for a long while and continue to feed the game back. They are respectfully working on improving their own departments of tron for the better. We get criticisms but we don't give up.

Just stop and think. If giving up is an option, how many people today would be roaming the streets without jobs? Life is not easy and so it's the same in the life of a gamer. You meet random people and they have their own personalities. They are just who they are because of the setting they were raised in. Not everyone is going to laugh all the time and not would see the good side of life.

So friend, KnowThyself. I know your not my friend and your some random nobody to me but your part of the community so I'm speaking. Let go of what those idiots do or say. It's meaningless to try and worry about things that cannot be changed. Especially stuff that has become a part of human nature since our evolution. So, just play. Enjoy the game, make friends and bully the bullies. If you can't, no worries, just ignore them and continue playing.
KnowThyself wrote:After my gaming experience this night, i seriously consider to do leave.
Really... if I had thought of it that way why bother staying? It's not like there would be people to listen to you? Well there! I'm here! I'm listening! I understand how you feel! Relax!

Games are made for fun, especially internet games. If we start taking it seriously like competitions, you see what happens in regular sports? Fist fight with each other. The same would happen here except through words. Wasted words and wasted energy to boot.

Have a fun and enjoyable tronning man. Don't worry about all the idiots that surround the internet world. The most important thing for me is to be happy and see happiness in others. Is it not the same for you? ;)

Cheers,
LOVER$BOY

P.S. The best friend of anyone is happiness which also goes for me.
P.S.S. I love the game so much I would spend a lot just to get the right tools for all of us, even for the dev to improve the game. In the future the job I will be doing will give me EXACTLY that. That's why I'm studying and am preparing for that from day 1! :D
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

He does raise a valid point though. A new player entering a server is often met with flaming or instabans. I still maintain that in order for the game to draw in new players, a set of online servers need to be maintained that are used in the introduction process, in order to teach players the principles of fortress, sumo, HR, DF etc. It's a pretty big asking, but it would help maintain the influx that we could potentially have.

I played for years under the name "Player 1". Never bothered with much more than YS, until I popped into ctwf one night. I had a new name then, and I quickly became associated with the "new player" crap, getting banned more than I played.

Then I changed my name to &Delinquent[$], and started learning the shit. Took me a while, but since I was an unknown player with a fair grasp of the basics, I didn't get banned at all. That's all you need really, a grasp of the basics. Not everyone reads or even knows about the wiki or the forums. I certainly didn't until a good few months after I started playing fortress, and even then I didn't realise there was instructional material available.

Autonomy is the way forward. Even setting up pre-programmed bots on local servers to launch the beginnings of a fortress game would help. There already is a sequence to assist with grinding, I've seen the good it does.

Plus, the community in general needs to be a bit more relaxed. I see people get angry all the time and I think; "what's the point in playing a game that makes you angry?" Seriously, if you get angry at something you most likely aren't enjoying it.

Bleh, rant over.
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

KnowThyself: May i ask what server you played in?

The reason i ask is because if you're new and just learning how to play, then "Fortress" is a bad idea, mainly because you're part of a team and that team wants to win/were winning, before someone who doesn't know how to play came in and started killing their own team mates, or not grinding the center player.
These players won't see you as a new player, they'll see you as a troll.
You should play servers which have no rules as to which way you should play.

I suggest these servers for new players:
The Tavern
The Yellow Submarine
[] Cheers [] The friendly server
The Prison Yard
(When ever i get round to getting it back up there)
...or, any high rubber server *HR*

These are just my suggestions from my experience when I was a new player.

Suggest good servers for new players people, because this guy is right, TRON IS GONNA DIE :( players are becoming fewer every week just now.
Clutch
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Clutch »

Player Police -> Silence
Boxed
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

Well, the regulars in any video game are usually kids with too much free time (I'd totally include myself here), so you have to arrange yourself with that in some way and limit your expectations. I know many disagree with that view but the way I see it there's no real, completely harmonic "community" in any game, everyone has his own friends and foes, the people are as different as in the world outside the computers, even if they are part of the same social or ethnic group.

And please specify what kind of attitude you consider wrong. There are many parts of the community that can be criticized, but I'm not going to agree with your statement of unease if you're asking me to play 'open' or another perverse definion of 'acting like a retard' (...). Perhaps ask yourself what you can do to make the community better, instead of making a leaving post on a forum where nobody seems to recognize your nickname yet and your loss probably doesn't mean much to most (this is not to say that you're insignificant, I just have no clue who you are).
The Tavern
The Yellow Submarine
The Prison Yard
Almost a complete list of the servers you should avoid if you want to get better at the game. The Yellow Submarine has better settings now, but its main players are still crap.
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

Word wrote: Almost a complete list of the servers you should avoid if you want to get better at the game. The Yellow Submarine has better settings now, but its main players are still crap.
Says "Word" who never, ever, ever, ever, EVER wins :lol:
Renegade
Core Dumper

Post by Renegade »

ConVicT wrote:
Word wrote: Almost a complete list of the servers you should avoid if you want to get better at the game. The Yellow Submarine has better settings now, but its main players are still crap.
And mean :(

Every game mode has nice people ,just as it has mean people alike. You should play with different people before you make an assumption about the whole community based on that small a sample size :)

Hope to see you in game in the future, ttfn
Word

Post by Word »

ConVicT wrote:
Probably referring to that excuse for a match in your rococo-like Yellow Submarine clone. Oh well.
KnowThyself

Post by KnowThyself »

The word different is the reason for our behavior.

If that is your conclusion of the behaviour, then there is alot that you have to learn about human nature.
It's meaningless to try and worry about things that cannot be changed. Especially stuff that has become a part of human nature since our evolution.

Indeed, as i was saying.
Let me give a quick correction to that.
That behaviour is not part of our nature at all. It is all conditioning that has been taken on by the ego.
Wow that was simple...
Not sure if you knew, but you're talking to a very driven psychologist, psychiatrist, therapist, and life-coach.
Teaching me about human nature? then make sure you got it correct.
I don't fear death but I fear for the future and, most of all, the generations to come after me.

Then guess there is still some contemplation left to do for you.
What are you going to do for the future of humanity? What could be done?
Not sure if you're aware of it, but i see a little contradiction here.
But then again, lack of insight or knowledge can do that to people.

I am not concerned about what they say, dont worry about that. People can say what they want.
If you're so observant as you previously tried to proof of yourself,
you should know that theres little problem if it comes to detachment, here.
I am however, concerned about whether there is respect, a sense of humanity.
Speaking of concern for the future of humanity.
Respect, a sense of humanity, to begin with; is a very important thing that HAS to be cultivated.
To begin with, as it is not clear at all where to begin in the first place by some in this dieing community.
Tell me, how am i supposed to play a strategic game, as a thug, on a team full of ... ?
In perspective of quality gaming that is... to some of you it may not matter, as there is nothing else in life.
So whether they're experiencing quality gaming, it does not matter for them anyway.
But what about those that do matter?
To how many do we want to limit our gaming experience?

See, this is not really about me, Word.
This is about, you. also.
If you think that im a little child that is butthurt by what has happened, and that that is the issue,
then you have little consciousness of what is going on here.
TaZ
Round Winner

Post by TaZ »

KnowThyself wrote:

If that is your conclusion of the behaviour, then there is alot that you have to learn about human nature.
It's meaningless to try and worry about things that cannot be changed. Especially stuff that has become a part of human nature since our evolution.

Indeed, as i was saying.
That behaviour is not part of our nature at all. It is all conditioning that has been taken on by the ego.
Wow that was simple...
Not sure if you knew, but you're talking to a very driven psychologist, psychiatrist, therapist, and life-coach.
I don't fear death but I fear for the future and, most of all, the generations to come after me.

I am not concerned about what they say, dont worry about that. People can say what they want.
If you're so observant as you previously tried to proof of yourself,
you should know that theres little problem if it comes to detachment, here.
I am however, concerned about whether there is respect, a sense of humanity.
Respect, a sense of humanity, to begin with; is a very important thing that HAS to be cultivated.
To begin with, as it is not clear at all where to begin in the first place by some in this dieing community.
Tell me, how am i supposed to play a strategic game, as a thug, on a team full of ... ?
In perspective of quality gaming that is... to some of you it may not matter, as there is nothing else in life.
So whether they're experiencing quality gaming, it does not matter for them anyway.

If you think that im a little child that is butthurt by what has happened, and that that is the issue,
I think a game like Chess or Sudoku may be more suitable for you.
I'm also doubting your credentials. There are more things you can do to help better the future of humanity than gather uniform support for an indie game. Also, have you actually studied the demographics of tron?
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Post by LOVER$BOY »

KnowThyself wrote:

Sorry but I'm currently studying teaching degree to become a professional teacher in the future. Trust me, I am studying about the functions of the brain, mind and heart. More the adults, it is the kids of the next generation that mainly interest and concern me. I'm seeing a hell a lot of personalities issues at the schools I visit for work placement. You'd even think it's a circus :P

I know that learning from a book is very different to the actual environment. So I don't take my readings seriously nor do I neglect to read. Every possible way to learn, understand and develop within me the right attitude and personality that suits all those I would be teaching soon. Goal is set and I'll be reaching for it soon.
KnowThyself wrote:

Indeed, as i was saying.
Wow that was simple...
Human nature is not something to easily explain away to begin with. I can't explain my own nature first of all. Sometimes I'm all good and nice and sometimes I wish I could do something I end up as the bad person. I don't know about the others but that's just me. My mentality keeps changing depending on the mood, feel and environment I'm currently in. Anyway I don't have ego, I just have too much honor and a lack of pride.
KnowThyself wrote:

There really isn't much I can do except do my best and hope to teach my students the peaceful way in life. Get them to try and study on their own, motivate them to open and book and read for themselves to improve their grammar skills. I mean, dealing with problem children these days who don't want to study and muck around a lot... I gotta take the initiative and go for it. It's a big responsibility so I'm not taking any chances on this, especially since I would be teaching more than 400 students every year in a couple of years time after my degree is completed.
KnowThyself wrote:I am however, concerned about whether there is respect, a sense of humanity.
Why isn't there? Crime rate is rising, economy is unstable and the value of life is dropping. Overall, our sense of humanity is quite bad.. :(
KnowThyself wrote:Tell me, how am i supposed to play a strategic game, as a thug, on a team full of ... ?
If you keep thinking in negative thoughts only negative emotions cloud your judgement and then negative actions + negative consequences will occur. Just don't think of yourself as a Tug or anyone else. You don't have the right to judge others and so do I and every being whether dead or alive. Your playing the game for fun and entertainment, not for something else, or are you?
KnowThyself wrote:In perspective of quality gaming that is... to some of you it may not matter, as there is nothing else in life.
Your gaming experience is your own and doesn't belong to somebody else. Explore, improve and share. There are always challenges awaiting in life, including in the games. My challenge is not the game but the code. To me that's a game, I need to figure out the pieces of the puzzle and put them together to work them out. Quite challenging but very awesome when completed :D
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

KnowThyself wrote:There was nothing but the feeling of being surrounded by absolute goons
You're right. It wasn't always this way. When I first began playing the community was a great deal friendlier and more mature, both in terms of behavior and average age. Since about 2006 it has been steadily declining. I've been lamenting that throughout, but always dismissed. Well, now we see that this game's community has largely become the same sort of cesspool that most online gaming communities are. It's a problem.
Word wrote:
The Tavern
The Yellow Submarine
The Prison Yard
Almost a complete list of the servers you should avoid if you want to get better at the game. The Yellow Submarine has better settings now, but its main players are still crap.
Word's right. Besides all these servers having abusive settings, if you don't play how the regulars in them want you to, you'll be harassed to no end.

Decent people are always welcome in my servers, Shrunkland and Bebop in Harlem. I think I can safely speak for sinewav and say the same of his "Adventures of TRON" servers. Both are moderated and goonish behavior will not be tolerated. Sadly, they're also usually empty.
KnowThyself wrote:

Indeed, as i was saying.
Wow that was simple...
Evolutionary psychology?

Tazmania wrote:I think a game like Chess or Sudoku may be more suitable for you.
Gee, look who showed up out of nowhere once again to troll someone.
TaZ
Round Winner

Post by TaZ »

Phytotron wrote:
Tazmania wrote:I think a game like Chess or Sudoku may be more suitable for you.
Gee, look who showed up out of nowhere once again to troll someone.
Don't get me wrong, it's also appropriate for someone like you too.
Word

Post by Word »

Oh, don't get me wrong. As I said, it just wasn't specific enough for me to decide how to react - if you've ever seen me playing in one of those servers Convict listed, you know that I'm usually getting in arguments with 'open'-fans - so from their perspective, I'm the impolite guy. What's even worse is that most of those overstimulated pavlov dogs are in fact young adults, not little children. I know what is going on here, but I simply don't know you very well and what exactly you were referring to - but if it's a general complaint about the culture in certain servers, I'd partly agree. I just think the good you can experience here still outweighs the bad, and you can pick your friends and there are enough good servers around.

I'm not sure if other players see it the same way and I don't have a lot of experience from other online communities, but this one is still relatively civil. But yeah, it used to be better.
I've also advocated free-for-all fortress servers for a long time, so there's that. Now MegaFortress is back but we still suspend new players if they don't grind the center player like everyone else - they are asked to watch a few rounds but few actually do that. I don't really like to suspend or kick people, and it also happened to me once or twice, but it's true that it can cause the entire team to lose.
Not sure if you knew, but you're talking to a very driven psychologist, psychiatrist, therapist, and life-coach
Maybe I'm grossly naïve, but my spontaneous thought is that you, of all people, should be able to deal with those misbehaviours in a better way than most of us if that's the case - and call out people in a way that actually makes them reflect. Some people here try it all the time, more or less unsuccessfully in most cases.
Last edited by Word on Wed May 29, 2013 11:39 am, edited 6 times in total.