Sumo league - discussion, interest, brainstorming

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

woof
Round Winner

Re: Sumo league - discussion, interest, brainstorming

Post by woof »

Let's give a round of applause to Dal and Coco for ruining Tour Sumo for us all.
Concord
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Concord »

I've taken it down permanently.
Soul
Match Winner

Post by Soul »

That really is a shame. It was really boosting sumo activity and was pretty fun.
Flow
Average Program

Post by Flow »

Concord wrote:someone hacked it as well, wd asshole.

I've taken it down permanently.
Really such a shame...

A lot of people really enjoyed it, is there anyway to recover the rankings and possibly setup a more secure way to report? I know it's using your precious time Concord, but I'm sure others would be happy to pitch in. Also, can you find out who the bastard was who did it?
Fippmam
Round Winner

Post by Fippmam »

Aw Conc =(

I know how much work it was to write that wgj article, and actually implement it into the tour ranking system. Sucks that our community just isn't mature enough to maintain a self-sustaining ranking system.

Like I said though, was more fun than elo, and was fun while it lasted. :)
Zenith
Average Program

Post by Zenith »

Wow, this sucks. Really disappointing.
Concord

Post by Concord »

smart money says this guy is behind it
Attachments
durrrr.jpg
Flow
Average Program

Post by Flow »

That seems like such a scapegoat though. I mean Codehunter has been known to do bad stuff in the past, but hasn't he been away for a long time? Why would he do this... Maybe I'm wrong though. Is there any information to back up that it is indeed Code?
Concord

Post by Concord »

I have a complete record of all the matches, but the wst ones are in a different table, (with no timestamps) so there's no way to match up the sequence of those with the others. It'd be possible to accurately recreate standings (more accurately, considering disputes) if one either ignored WST matches or both 1v1 and Sb matches. Not sure it's worth it considering that though.

I'd rather put time into developing a better system, directly integrated with a server (and gids and whatnot), so reporting is both automatic and un-tamperable. That said, I have no skills with server scripting, so if anyone that does wants to pitch in, I think it'd be pretty easy to plug in that input to the stuff I already have.

edit: tbh, I don't want to give whoever it was the satisfaction of us sleuthing around. I don't have any ips or anything. The only clues are what they decided to report. I can give you access to the db if you want to look around.
Dalsue
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Dalsue »

http://www.myleague.com/tronbattles/

Shrug.

*Users can't randomly report losses on here.

**We could hold tournaments on here. Players have rankings/standings!

***You can win ladderbux used to redeem for prizes.
Concord

Post by Concord »

well I guess over was right after all :D

anyway, it's clear there's a demand for competitive sumo on a much more frequent basis than occasional tournaments. back to "discussion, interest, brainstorming" I suppose
Gazelle
Match Winner

Post by Gazelle »

**** man, i really really really enjoyed that, i havent played tron more in my entire life.. i mean u even had ****** Brok3n playing sumo and on a frequent basis.. like thats an amazing feat.. gj conc.. i really hope we can find a better solution to this, cause that was one hell of an idea :)
Dalsue
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Dalsue »

What if we created a competitive Tron league though?

Look at what I posted.
asdfasdf
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by asdfasdf »

Hi all,

I think that this was a great idea and I commend you, Conc, for creating it. Now, it's a shame that somebody went and spammed/hacked the site, completing destroying what many saw as a very promising development in competitive sumo. However, I don't think that all is lost; much of what originally was in the toursumo idea can still be salvaged. Here are my two major proposed changes:
1). Accounts. Instead of just adding yourself, you have to create an account using a valid email address, GiD, etc. potentially, if things get out of hand, these could be approved by conc, but that might be too much of a hassle.
2). Confirmation. The major way in which this hacker was able to perpetrate the spamming was that he could fake matches. I think that, to stop this, we should have some sort of "confirm you participated in this match" option- at least 1 of the 2 in a 1v1 need to confirm (easy enough if you report) and possibly 2 or 3 in a wst or sbt. A spammer could still potentially spam with his/her own account, but it would be immediately evident who did it, both useful for the tron community and possibly a deterrent in the first place (he/she would be less likely to spam if he/she knew he/she was going to get caught). Obviously, this doesn't prevent people from stealing points with one or two matches at a time, but disputes should easily take care of that.

Other miscellaneous suggestions:
- if this wasn't done already, as over suggested, make sure that the right number of people participate in each sumo type.
- possibly take scores into account for ranking changes.
- possibly limit the maximum a player can move with one loss (for example, I lost around 600 pts with one loss. It might be my personal bias, though.)
asdfasdf
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by asdfasdf »

Note: all of the above doesn't make it impossible to hack/spam, but just makes it more difficult and less of an appealing idea.