Disabling windows key

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Re: Disabling windows key

Post by Light »

delinquent wrote:I think this is a good idea. It should, however, be optional for the grumpy old men like sinewav.
It would be annoying to me too, if it came over to the Linux build. Super key is used for everything, and when I'm in windowed, it's probably my most used key, other than actually playing of course.

I don't really understand how it gets in the way though. Must need to be very uncoordinated to accidently hit it enough for it to be a bother.
Bytes
Round Winner

Post by Bytes »

Well I use z and x for left so if I've come back from typing it can very occasionally get hit. I'm not saying this happens all the time, it happens rarely, but it is irritating when it happens. And I was asking for this to happen when you're in full screen mode, not windowed.
I get that people may not want it but some people are getting very aggressive over a tentative optional suggestion...
Light

Post by Light »

Bytes wrote:Well I use z and x for left so if I've come back from typing it can very occasionally get hit. I'm not saying this happens all the time, it happens rarely, but it is irritating when it happens. And I was asking for this to happen when you're in full screen mode, not windowed.
I get that people may not want it but some people are getting very aggressive over a tentative optional suggestion...
It's also not hard to just change the keyboard layout and remove it when you don't want it. Make a small script so you can single click enable/disable it, and you're good to go.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Bytes wrote:I get that people may not want it but some people are getting very aggressive over a tentative optional suggestion...
It messes with core functions of your interface directly related to the operating system. Not only is that somewhere a program shouldn't go, it's completely unnecessary for a program like Arma, a program that gives you full control over key-bindings. All this because you are clumsy? Why not just have a bot drive for you since you don't want to work at getting better?

And I resent being called grumpy for having a reasonable argument.
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

Grumpy old men always resent being called grumpy xD

No, I get where you're coming from. That's why I mentioned it being optional - the layout of some keyboards is very confined, and there are people I know of who play on netbooks from time to time. When the option is disabled, the function would be completely inactive. Plus, it wouldn't be enabled by default (in my ideal world). There could also be a reasonable want for disabling touchpads and/or mouse input whilst in-game - I've played on laptops where un-intentionally palming the touchpad makes for a bit of a grievance.
Bytes
Round Winner

Post by Bytes »

at least you can turn those inputs off
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

delinquent wrote:There could also be a reasonable want for disabling touchpads and/or mouse input whilst in-game...
You can already disable those in Arma by unbinding them.
Renegade
Core Dumper

Post by Renegade »

Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

sinewav wrote:It messes with core functions of your interface directly related to the operating system. Not only is that somewhere a program shouldn't go
I'm not bothered about that. We do (or rather, SDL does) that for other things as well. For example, the screen saver/power management gets disabled.

What I am bothered by a bit are two other things:
1. "It should be only optional, and only for fullscreen mode". Well, says you. Someone else may find it useful for windowed mode, too. The next person only wants it active when playing online, because the game pauses in single player anyway if it gets deactivated, so no damage done there. It's too many options.
2. There exists a perfectly fine solution already, the thing I linked to in my first post. Yes, it is less convenient. But have you given it a try?
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

sinewav wrote:You can already disable those in Arma by unbinding them.
Essentially, yes. However, on both my old, the missus' old, and the missus' current laptop unbinding the mousegrab doesn't unbind the annoying scroll feature. I've actually heard of this being a continuing issue with synaptic drivers, but the same issue remains under linux, so I'm at a loss.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

What happens when you touch the pad and all mouse actions are unbound in arma? Curious.
Bytes
Round Winner

Post by Bytes »

I thought that the scroll was just another input which you can bind/unbind, behaving the same as the mouse wheel?

And yes Z-man, if you don't want to write anything into the software (which is totally your call) then I'll weigh up the other options, but as you said, it would be more convenient. And yes, if you were going to make it an option, restricting it to just full screen mode wouldn't necessarily make sense.
Light

Post by Light »

delinquent wrote:Essentially, yes. However, on both my old, the missus' old, and the missus' current laptop unbinding the mousegrab doesn't unbind the annoying scroll feature. I've actually heard of this being a continuing issue with synaptic drivers, but the same issue remains under linux, so I'm at a loss.
Besides unbinding all the scroll / mouse movement inputs, on most laptops you can actually disable the touchpad.
Z-Man wrote:"It should be only optional, and only for fullscreen mode". Well, says you. Someone else may find it useful for windowed mode, too. The next person only wants it active when playing online, because the game pauses in single player anyway if it gets deactivated, so no damage done there. It's too many options.
I don't see why you would only use it in fullscreen. If it pulls away from the game, and you were to disable it, I would assume you disable it for windowed mode too because of the same reason? But, I agree it's something we can do without, as I use that key when playing a lot to quickly switch screens.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Light wrote:If it pulls away from the game, and you were to disable it, I would assume you disable it for windowed mode too because of the same reason?
Yes, that would be my personal intuition. Pressing the super key in fullscreen mode is slightly worse, though; in addition to stealing the focus from the game, it also (potentially) changes the video mode and may cause the screen to go blank for a couple of seconds.

So, to summarize: IF we are going to intercept certain input events from the OS, it is going to
1. be optional
2. default to off
3. be independent of any internal state of arma (fullscreen/online/splitscreen whatever)
Bytes
Round Winner

Post by Bytes »

Yes, I don't know if I made this clear but hitting the windows key black screens me and getting it back takes several seconds, seeing as when this happens it is often during the grind it can get messy.