Ladle streaming - are ppls interested in this?

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

Bytes
Round Winner

Re: Ladle streaming - are ppls interested in this?

Post by Bytes »

Some long gaps where the speech continued but the video froze. Other than that great job! I'd be happy to help with commentating sometime in the future :)
RoterBaron1337
Core Dumper

Post by RoterBaron1337 »

nice streaming, very well done HUD, this should be done more often imo
Kappa
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

I made a snippet to promote the stream in Ladle servers and will post it on the Challenge Board under Server Configuration. This is voluntary for server owners who want to promote the stream.

Code: Select all

ROUND_CONSOLE_MESSAGE 0x4488ffStream this tournament with commentary at:\n0xffff44www.twitch.tv/armagetron_advanced
Attachments
screenshot_5.png
Fippmam
Round Winner

Post by Fippmam »

I think you guys just put z-man recording out of business xD

Couldn't play today, watched the matches though. Gmssss
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

Fippmam wrote:I think you guys just put z-man recording out of business xD
You still can pick up other viewpoins with his recordings, and they will be up tomorrow, which willl be today for most of you reading this.
Mecca
Match Winner

Post by Mecca »

Some feedback about the ladle 69 stream:

Try to talk more. Keep the conversation going. Talk about the two teams, their lineup, what certain players may be known for, why the teams chose to use the strategies they are using, who has an advantage and why, etc...

It's a lot more interesting if there is no "dead air" (not sure if that's the term I'm looking for). There should always be someone talking.

Someone who has very little knowledge of Armagetron should be able to watch the stream, and then talk about the match to their friends and sound like they know what they're talking about, like what a lot of the Americans do during the world cup and March Madness (don't get me started on the Superbowl).
Vogue
Match Winner

Post by Vogue »

Feel free to get on next time to show us how it's done, Mecca. This goes for everyone! Not satisfied with the commentary? Hope on and help me. I know I'm not the best speaker and honestly, I'm not trying to force myself to talk about every little thing people do... I find it tedious in LoL tournaments to hear the commentators freaking out over the smallest things. I think the commentating will get better gradually once we're used to it, it's still pretty fresh.

ps: Talking about myself atm, sinewav is great. :P
þsy
Match Winner

Post by þsy »

Commentating is a real art, and you guys have done an excellent job so far. It's good to receive constructive criticism, and I think Mecca is right - avoiding 'dead air' is the most obvious thing that can be done to improve the quality of the commentating. Whilst you don't want to be going mad at every little thing as you say liz, when there's not a lot happening, it's good to have statistics, information about the players, activity going on in the community etc. to talk about when not discussing the gameplay. The trick is to make the viewer feel like the commentators are almost fighting for their chance to speak because they have too much to say, whilst maintaining a good synergy between each other

This would take a fair bit of preparation before hand, but if people are keen to do it, then that would be a really good idea I think

And yeah, practice makes perfect!
Bytes
Round Winner

Post by Bytes »

Don't worry yourself about competing with sine, he could say anything and it would still sound like caramel... You bring the better player knowledge ;)
But as I said, I'll happily step in for a match and see if people like me :roll:
bilbo baggins
Round Winner

Post by bilbo baggins »

or just chat shit when nothings happening :D
good job liz/syre/elmo/py/whoever else was around
Vogue
Match Winner

Post by Vogue »

We're definitely listening to all the suggestions, don't worry. : )

Get on next time, Bytes!
Gonzap
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Gonzap »

I might try out next ladle if we go out before finals, I think it could be fun and I know all the players pretty well and for a long time now. You will have a hard time understanding me tho.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

The dead air is something I am working on. Most of this comes from my lack of preparation (I've been very busy). In the future I will have more content and my play-by-play skills will get smoother. But we would definitely like people to visit, especially if you get subbed out in the middle of the game! Hop on and tell us what's going on behind the scenes (in the locker room). If your team loses against we are streaming, get on the channel and and let's talk about what happened.
Mecca
Match Winner

Post by Mecca »

sinewav wrote:The dead air is something I am working on. Most of this comes from my lack of preparation (I've been very busy). In the future I will have more content and my play-by-play skills will get smoother. But we would definitely like people to visit, especially if you get subbed out in the middle of the game! Hop on and tell us what's going on behind the scenes (in the locker room). If your team loses against we are streaming, get on the channel and and let's talk about what happened.

That would be neat. I'd tune in for that.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

I guess the easiest way to avoid dead air is having many commentators - we just had 4 people who were talking to one another and there always seemed to happen something. we were doing this for the first time though so we didn't have to avoid repeating phrases we already said countless times.