[CTF Addition] /pass chat command.

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...

Have /pass command?

Poll ended at Wed May 15, 2013 2:41 am

Yes
33%
No
67%

Total votes: 15

ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Re: [CTF Addition] /pass chat command.

Post by ConVicT »

it can be disabled.

The more commands the better! it's like saying don't add the "cycle_rubber" command cuz it makes it easier, it's easily changed depending on what server you want to make.

I can see only players who don't own servers being against this, because they have no say in the config of the servers.

JUST DON'T PLAY THERE....
Last edited by ConVicT on Mon May 06, 2013 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

ConVicT wrote:The more commands the better! it's like saying don't add the "cycle_rubber" command cuz it makes it easier, it's easily changed depending on what server you want to make.
There are many, many things wrong with this statement. More settings do not make something better, it just creates more opportunity to have bad servers. You haven't been around long enough, but believe it or not, rubber actually hurts the popularity of this game. There have been countless people who come here looking for a lightcycle game, see rubber in action (cycles hanging on the walls) and leave thinking the game is broken or stupid. Armagetron has better graphics and more customization options than any other lightcycle game yet is scarcely more popular then FLTron -- which is in 2D and has almost no options.
ConVicT wrote:I can see only players who don't own servers being against this, because they have no say in the config of the servers.

JUST DON'T PLAY THERE....
As someone who has spent a considerable amount of my time in Arma developing and promoting competitive CTF, I think this setting is ridiculous. There is already a /drop command and good CTF players have no trouble passing to their teammates. Only a noob would use this command. I guess you might as well add it since CTF is dead and now more or less a novelty game like StyBall or Shooting.
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

Ok, ok, cycle_rubber was a bad example, it was just the first ting that popped into my head, you probably get what i meant though.
If it creates opportunities for bad servers then it equally creates opportunities for good servers, if you have some ideas of what you can do with the command, not just CTF.....
I wouldn't use it for CTF, i hate CTF, i would use it in a 5 a side soccer server!
vov
Match Winner

Post by vov »

As far as I can read, it has a speed setting. So it can be turned to "really really slow", practically being a /drop. It's then basically a /drop where the zone moves a little bit. In current CTF, I think /drop does its job just fine, but if someone has a new idea then we'd have the code for it now.
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Post by LOVER$BOY »

All the votes are against this so I'm placing the code to default DISABLED. It will not be active unless someone decides to test it out and work with it.

I won't release the new revision for 0.2.9-sty+ct+ap since I'm facing a lot o problems with the pingpong code :/
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Titanoboa »

Overrated wrote:It's a neat feature, just not with normal CTF.
+1

Also... Just off the bat I'm getting a weird idea that'd use this feature.

BASKETBALL?!

To score, you have to /pass the ball through a small-enough-to-make-it-hard zone. Your teammate would have to drive on the other side of the basket and the timing has to be right. And remember, it can be intercepted by opponents. This, combined with a feature that forces you to drop the ball after like 3 seconds (there's a setting for that, I believe), would make the basketball mode intense and maybe even tactical, since it requires team work.

Just gotta make sure you can't score by driving through the "basket" with the ball. Maybe make a minimum_scoring_distance as well so you can't shoot when you're too nearby, making it too easy.
Bytes
Round Winner

Post by Bytes »

Or just dz the zone
MOARLETTERS!
Titanoboa

Post by Titanoboa »

Yeah that'd work Bytes, nice wd thx gz gm.
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

Your idea is the exact same as mine, except the "net" would be smaller than what i suggested,
"Soccer", or, as i would call it "Football" is much more popular and generally a better sport altogether,
and would get played more cuz lets face it, American Tronners are noobs and only play when i'm sleeping :P

Edit: I realise now that both ideas are a bit stupid, because it would be easier to slam dunk, or, just walk it into the net than to shoot.
Titanoboa

Post by Titanoboa »

you can't "hold" the ball or be forced to drop it after a certain amount of time in soccer though.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

ConVicT wrote:Edit: I realise now that both ideas are a bit stupid, because it would be easier to slam dunk, or, just walk it into the net than to shoot.
No, they're stupid because you guys keep trying to cram every other kind of game type and genre out there into this one. :x
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Post by LOVER$BOY »

Phytotron wrote:
ConVicT wrote:Edit: I realise now that both ideas are a bit stupid, because it would be easier to slam dunk, or, just walk it into the net than to shoot.
No, they're stupid because you guys keep trying to cram every other kind of game type and genre out there into this one. :x
There's no harm in trying, is there dude?
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

Not trying to cram all ideas into one, just thinking of the possibilities.
If you were making it for CTF, then i agree it's stupid lol
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

LOVER$BOY wrote:
Phytotron wrote:
There's no harm in trying, is there dude?
I would argue there is, but I realise I'm arguing against a wall of brick and noise.
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Post by LOVER$BOY »

Ah come on phy, I'm not a stony wall to ignore what you have to say. Just say it since I really am clueless why your against additions to the game.