[CTF Addition] /pass chat command.

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...

Have /pass command?

Poll ended at Wed May 15, 2013 2:41 am

Yes
33%
No
67%

Total votes: 15

LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

[CTF Addition] /pass chat command.

Post by LOVER$BOY »

Hello my dear awesome tronning community :D

Also, hey to all those crazy people who Capture The Flag (CTF) a lot! :D

I am here after coming up with an interesting and seemingly fun idea for the CTF world. It is to pass the flag between team members.

Crazy idea? I for one thing it should be looked into.

I've even went ahead and recorded the video of me testing out the /pass command. In the command the setting are (updated after recording video)

Code: Select all

FLAG_PASS_DISTANCE 5.0  # The distance in which the team member should be in order to receive the flag.
FLAG_PASS_MODE 0        # The mode of selection for passing the flag; o-disable, 1-closest, 2-furthest, 3-distance, 4-name.
FLAG_PASS_SPEED 30.0    # The speed at which the flag should be passed (+ the speed the receive is travelling at).
I've created these commands only in my local code. The setting was originally at 1 which selects a team member that is far away from you at that moment of activation. Although I had to fix a couple of mistakes I made during the code with passing and catching.

Anyway, watch the video and let's discuss the idea people :D

Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJeTgqg5JbQ

P.S. Enjoy the music, it's exciting ;)
Last edited by LOVER$BOY on Sun May 05, 2013 3:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Re: [CTF Addition] /pass chat command.

Post by kyle »

can one intercept passes?
Light

Post by Light »

^Kyle's question is what I was wondering.

Also ... you need a microphone. Notepad videos are the worst ..
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Post by LOVER$BOY »

kyle wrote:can one intercept passes?
Yes. Another person from the same team or from an enemy team.
Light wrote:^Kyle's question is what I was wondering.

Also ... you need a microphone. Notepad videos are the worst ..
Light, I have a sore throat and with that I don't want to make things difficult to understand. +Plus I wanted non-english listeners to translate what I typed.

Still. I loved that music which I found out of luck than anything. I still can't believe myself for never thinking of using it in any of my videos :P
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

This is a good idea if you can intercept. Then you could make a soccer server with it :D
XD|VIPer
Average Program

Post by XD|VIPer »

This sounds interesting.... Wheres the server?
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

You have succeeded in reducing the skill needed to win an already noob-ish game. You would have done better to pass the lag instead. Interceptions need to happen for this to become useful in any way.
Attachments
pass-the-lag.png
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Post by LOVER$BOY »

ConVicT wrote:This is a good idea if you can intercept. Then you could make a soccer server with it :D
My thoughts exactly! Interceptions do work so I'm sure it'll work just fine! ;)
XD|VIPer wrote:This sounds interesting.... Wheres the server?
No server yet. I'm waiting on the votes to come in to see if this addition will be widely accepted or not.
sinewav wrote:You have succeeded in reducing the skill needed to win an already noob-ish game. You would have done better to pass the lag instead. Interceptions need to happen for this to become useful in any way.
Haha, who wouldn't want to pass their lag to the next person :P

Ok guys, please vote in the poll I've created at the top. Vote "Yes" if you want to see this command in action or "No" if you think the idea is stupid and should be scraped.

Also, if this does get "Yes" the most, I won't promise I will update the code for sty+ct+ap immediately. I'm current busy working on my "PingPong" idea. It's taking quite a while just to get stuff working out but I'm confident it will all work out soon :)
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

what about fouls? It should be walls_length 2 and cycle_rubber 0 that way if you get close enough to kill someone, that would count as a foul but what would the other team get if that happened? Not like they could get a penalty or free kick or anything could they? Sounds difficult to make.

Hope u can do it :D

Edit: for the people voting no, why no when if you don't want to use it you could just make the command -1 in your config, could you not?
Last edited by ConVicT on Sun May 05, 2013 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

Actually quite excited about this, if it it gets done right. We could have leagues. :)
kyle
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

ConVicT wrote:Edit: for the people voting no, why no when if you don't want to use it you could just make the command 0 in your config, could you not?
corected, but why should he poll when it is dissableable?
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

That's not what i wrote :P

Exactly my point. Don't vote, but no need to vote "no" :)
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Post by LOVER$BOY »

ConVicT wrote:what about fouls? It should be walls_length 2 and cycle_rubber 0 that way if you get close enough to kill someone, that would count as a foul but what would the other team get if that happened? Not like they could get a penalty or free kick or anything could they? Sounds difficult to make.

Hope u can do it :D

Edit: for the people voting no, why no when if you don't want to use it you could just make the command -1 in your config, could you not?
    Yup, an exciting prospect but is also difficult to get working I guess. Anyway I'll see what I can do about it once more time gets on my hands :)
    kyle wrote:
    ConVicT wrote:Edit: for the people voting no, why no when if you don't want to use it you could just make the command 0 in your config, could you not?
    corected, but why should he poll when it is dissableable?
    Well I thought I should probably ask first with the global audience to make sure I can make that code public. Oh well :(
    ConVicT wrote:That's not what i wrote :P

Exactly my point. Don't vote, but no need to vote "no" :)
    I guess you can do that :D
    Sµicidal

Post by Sµicidal »

i'm against this.
    if my understanding is correct, you're proposing adding this pass command into regular ctf, not making you're own gamemode (if it is, go all out, hopefully different name tho).

but if the prior is the case, it would make the game way to easy and unfair in serious matches where every1 knows how to play.

if a team gets a flag, they usually end up capturing it in the end already, so y make ti easier.

also, after a 4v1 situation and the team respawns the enemy to keep the match going, the attacker could pass to a teammate in their own zone, get the flag again, and keep repeating. the just respawned other team has no chance of intercepting the flag when they have no speed.
    As it is now, theres a chance the just-respawned team has a chance to speed up together and either hole or basecamp to prevent scoring.

another situation would be if an attacker is able to surround their enemy flag spawn. he can just keep spamming the pass button because even if it gets intercepted he already has the enemy zone and can just keep going until it works.
    Normally, even if the team surrounds the enemy zone, the enemy would surround the attacker and the attacker would have to coordinate with an outside ally and drop-pass it. theres some risk to it, and i believe its fair.

both these situations occur many times per game, and the way i see it now, the team which gets the flag first basically wins the game.
    the flags the most important object of the game and the flag carrier should be under some pressure. it also probably wouldn't be that hard for 2 players to coordinate together and keep the flag safe if they're just running.

edit: also, how the hell are u suppsoed to disable something the server adds. Even if u disable it for youself, if other people use it the games ruined anyways. and if u don't vote, how are u suposed to express the fact that u dont want it added
    Last edited by Sµicidal on Sun May 05, 2013 11:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    Overrated
    Match Winner

Post by Overrated »

Sµicidal wrote:i'm against this.
    Pretty much everything said, I agree with. On top of the fact that it makes it even easier to get the flag passed outside of where the flag spawns, like he said. Can pass to a close teammate or pass all the way across the map and hope they get it. Flag moves way too fast to be intercepted (from what I saw) and it is just unfair unless you adjust speed.

Now, to say this idea is bad is incorrect, I like this idea. I really think this mode would work very well with the dead mode of CTFS, or with a styball-esque sort of gameplay. Works with CTFS if you turn the speed down though, because you can shoot the opponents from a distance anyway, maybe make it sort of zombie-esque too where if it gets shot by your team it goes back to it's spawn point? Not sure, but something like that would be nice. And it works with something styball/hockey/soccer related just in general. Instead of returning to a spawn point someone takes control though, and it'll be tough to defend it as well (maybe make a setting where if a player holds it too long they lose possession of it or something?) Dunno. It's a neat feature, just not with normal CTF.
    BRAWL dead. RIP.

Fort is like a box of knives, you never know when you're going to be cut.