Sumo league - discussion, interest, brainstorming

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

Concord
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Sumo league - discussion, interest, brainstorming

Post by Concord »

last league failed. I think it was too complicated. I also think it would be good to have either an actual league office (not just one person), or some sort of system like the ladle, where it is self-organized. other than that, I don't have anything I feel strongly about yet. It'd be nice to have something better than what has been tried in the past. Any ideas? any interest?
ElmosWorld
Match Winner

Re: Sumo league - discussion, interest, brainstorming

Post by ElmosWorld »

I think the last league failed because there was no server and people were scrambling around each week to find a server to play in. Coupled with the unavailability of the commissioner, it made things difficult each week.

I think the format of the last league but maybe only 2 matches a weekend(one Saturday and one Sunday) and then alternate weeks(one week a 1x1 and a 2x2x2x2 and another week a 1x8 and a 1x4) would provide an interesting experience.

I think the drafting was good. The way to retain players and the aspect of a "core" may have been a bit much.

Maybe anonymous bidding over the course of a week? Where you can see the high bid but not who has it?

Just a couple thoughts/ideas.
bilbo baggins
Round Winner

Post by bilbo baggins »

i rly liked the elo ranking that u did concord, i thought that worked out well
i thought to link that to the ISL/whatever you want to call it could be to create teams using the ELO ranking, to make them super duper fair, or possibly price players on there elo ranking. just thoughts
BRING BACK ELO!! <3 <3 <3
ppotter
Match Winner

Post by ppotter »

Perhaps have all the matches in one sitting, one per week. 3 or 5 rounds of 1v1 followed by a 2v2v2v2. Say there were 8 teams, that would mean you'd have 4 sets of 1 on 1 matches, then two separate TST style matches.
Concord
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Concord »

there's obviously tons of full sumobar matches played everyday. what do people think of somehow a daily or twice daily, sumo bar match (18 rounds) that happens if 8 and any 8, league members are present? somehow daily matches are scored and tabulated into a type of league. thoughts?
J Dawg
Round Winner

Post by J Dawg »

The sumo League failed because of a couple reasons

1. No offense to you concord, but there were times where there was a lot of confusion, and you were not present at the times of the tourney, which frustrated a lot of people.

2. Orion Was upset at soul and another for something ( i forget), and stacked his team so that nobody could possibly beat that, which also made tronners upset.

I would love to have ISL come back. But there would need to be a lot more work involved. Maybe having isl moderators to keep track of wars and atuff
ImageImageImageImageImage
Fippmam
Round Winner

Post by Fippmam »

It also failed because of the timing of the competitions. Dunno about anyone else, but I just can't be obligated to play in tournaments during weekdays, or even on Saturdays sometimes. Maybe find a work around for that? I already know that the daily tournament idea you suggested is a recipe for disaster.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

I think the biggest reason for it to fail was the lack of self-reliance in the community, same for the FPL. To get a big tournament working you need to be like a nanny who reminds everyone constantly to show up. The ladle doesn't have that problem because it's old and everyone can remember the "first sunday of a month" thing but as soon as that day would be moved to the third sunday of a month, I'm sure half the people wouldn't attend.
orion
Match Winner

Post by orion »

This community cant support big tournaments for long, anyway ISL was a good try
Flow
Average Program

Post by Flow »

orion wrote:This community cant support big tournaments for long, anyway ISL was a good try
Yay! Completely disregarding Ladle.
Zenith
Average Program

Post by Zenith »

orion wrote:This community cant support big tournaments for long, anyway ISL was a good try
No u.
I don't really know what type of sumo league we're talking about here (1v1, sumobar).
I think that at this point a sumobar type of thing would be easiest as conc said:
Concord wrote:there's obviously tons of full sumobar matches played everyday. what do people think of somehow a daily or twice daily, sumo bar match (18 rounds) that happens if 8 and any 8, league members are present? somehow daily matches are scored and tabulated into a type of league. thoughts?
I think we can all agree sumobar is played the most often. Also, this idea would eliminate the possibility of 'no shows'. People who just don't show up to very many matches at all could just be booted out of the league without harming any others. So, if some sort of scoring/ranking system is set up then I am all for this.
bilbo baggins
Round Winner

Post by bilbo baggins »

how about as you say just random sumobar matches whenever theres enough people on: 8 points for win, 7 for second, 6 for third, 5 for 4th and so on, then divide your total points by number of matches you have played and then rank people using that e.g: someone has played 7 matches and has 49 points, 49/7 gives 7 points

on reflection that idea was dumb but something along the lines of that would work i spose
RoterBaron1337
Core Dumper

Post by RoterBaron1337 »

Idea to think about.

1.) Entering Fee for a captain and their players (ISL like)- 5 euro and at the end u make 75% 1. place 25% 2. place and w/e for 3-8 or how many spots you have in your league,

2.) Have a 1v1 Tournament season where everybody has to play against everybody 18 players - only once or maybe with a back to back (region wise) give it like 9 weeks or smth the results get updated live by the confirmation of the scores of both players

3.) Have a TST every month
Kappa
NiPz
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by NiPz »

RoterBaron1337 wrote:Idea to think about.

1.) Entering Fee for a captain and their players (ISL like)- 5 euro and at the end u make 75% 1. place 25% 2. place and w/e for 3-8 or how many spots you have in your league,

2.) Have a 1v1 Tournament season where everybody has to play against everybody 18 players - only once or maybe with a back to back (region wise) give it like 9 weeks or smth the results get updated live by the confirmation of the scores of both players

Just do TST every month! second sunday of the month, easy to remember and appeals to all...
Overrated
Match Winner

Post by Overrated »

RoterBaron1337 wrote:Idea to think about.

1) Pretty sure we determined this to be unfeasible. Don't remember why, but there was something wrong with it iirc.

2) I don't know about everyone else, but 1v1 (at least sumo wise), is not very entertaining. It just plays out like most rounds and whoever makes the most mistakes loses. I don't know, just me. Only want it to happen occasionally and not all the time.

3) Wouldn't that lose the fun/significance of it? I don't like every 6 months, but that's what makes it so special and entertaining. I'd rather it be every 3 months than every single month if anything.
NiPz wrote:
Just do TST every month! second sunday of the month, easy to remember and appeals to all...
And... Aside from the fact the BRAWL is held then.
BRAWL dead. RIP.

Fort is like a box of knives, you never know when you're going to be cut.