Bowl 2 Discussion

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

bilbo baggins
Round Winner

Re: Bowl 2 Discussion

Post by bilbo baggins »

lets make arena's for teams to play in with 1000's of screaming fans at every triple bind and hole, then lets give the winning clan 50000 grand and a sports car
þsy
Match Winner

Post by þsy »

Less teams (4-6, 4 is optimal I think)
Less teams means you can have a best of 5 in the final without overrunning too much
A minimum of 6 eligible players to a team to register
Less ladle participation required to play, change from 5 to 3 (sufficient to stop teams stacking for the Bowl without forcing teams to use an out-dated roster)
Bytes
Round Winner

Post by Bytes »

I think now teams know how bowl works they'll be looking to keep players for the 5 ladles, don't think it should be a problem in the long run and should give a better class of teamwork and hence more entertainment to watch. Just my opinion.
I'd also go with minimum of 5. I think it's evident that a team of 4 are going to get obliterated vs 6 due to slow starts but I think 5's can hold their own if they're determined and smart about how they start.
þsy
Match Winner

Post by þsy »

My two criticisms of the 5 ladle perquisite are that firstly, whilst it's good to be loyal to a team/clan, 5 ladles is too many as some things are out of an individual's control. Say someone plays for CT for 4 ladles, he/she misses a ladle or two, then CT dies. They then join another clan, which after 2 ladles also folds. If CT had done really well whilst they were active and qualified for the Bowl, then that person wouldn't be able to play, despite being totally committed to the clan

Secondly, those rules favour clans over teams. Whilst there aren't an abundance of teams right now, it should still be noted that a team's roster - due to its structure - is inevitably more fluid than a clans. That doesn't mean a team itself can't be stable and qualify for the Bowl, but it's selection of players are more likely to change ladle-to-ladle than a clan's will
bilbo baggins
Round Winner

Post by bilbo baggins »

while i value your points psy i still think it should be stuck to 5 ladles, if you put it at 3 ladles a player could choose between 3 teams in the bowl, and 4 ladles that player can still choose between 2 teams, you can miss a ladle or 2 and still qualify for bowl (e.g fofo and 3b) and the bowl is to determine the strongest team/clan/w.e you want to call it and if you are in an unstable clan that just gives up and dies then its your fault for choosing that clan to play with, no player no matter how good/bad should be rewarded for hopping between clans during a season imo
þsy
Match Winner

Post by þsy »

I think the fact that SP competed in every single ladle in the season, and still didn't qualify 6 full members is testament enough to the fact that 5 ladles is too high (with only two of those who did qualify still being in the clan). Maybe 4 is doable, though 3 makes sense to me. The majority of active players can't make every ladle in a season, missing maybe one or two? 3 or 4 would therefore make sense, and if some players have to pick between two teams, then I don't see why that's a problem
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

þsy wrote:...5 ladles is too many as some things are out of an individual's control.
If life is too hectic for the individual player, and they can't make it to even 5 Ladles, well they won't mind missing one more tournament.
þsy wrote:Secondly, those rules favour clans over teams.
Doubtful. But here is an opportunity to promote a truly wonderful piece of writing, a commentary on Arma titled The Holy Roman Empire. I've read it a few times now.
þsy
Match Winner

Post by þsy »

sinewav wrote:
þsy wrote:...5 ladles is too many as some things are out of an individual's control.
If life is too hectic for the individual player, and they can't make it to even 5 Ladles, well they won't mind missing one more tournament.
If you read what I posted, I'm not referring to the player's life outside of tron, but how clans/teams come and go

And yeah, I have read that! Teams are cool
Vogue
Match Winner

Post by Vogue »

that's the point psy, the team with the best loyal players overall etc wins the bowl
bilbo baggins
Round Winner

Post by bilbo baggins »

for example ct, who has pretty much kept the same team's all season long
þsy
Match Winner

Post by þsy »

Why is it a good idea that we reward loyalty?

I think the ladle number limit should only be to prevent teams from stacking good players for the Bowl. Other than that, it should be about who is the best, not who has been the most loyal to their team... Teams need to remove inactive players and invite new players all the time, it's a simple fact of tron life. Nobody is going to get loads of top players to play for them for 3-4 ladles just so they can win the Bowl! All it does is exclude people from playing unnecessarily. If we had it down to 3, or 4, then the only person I'm aware of who would have had the option of choosing between two teams is dreadlord. And surely it's better to have that problem, than have a load of people missing out because their clan died or they had to miss a ladle or something

I realised today that I often make suggestions, and that every single one of them has been denied or ignored! I feel like I should quit whilst I'm ahead, but this is sure as hell more interesting than writing this stupid essay...
Last edited by þsy on Wed May 01, 2013 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bytes
Round Winner

Post by Bytes »

You've hit the nail on the head, the idea is to get teams to keep players for 5 matches, so they can win bowl. That's the point of the exercise. That's what this tournament is looking to reward.
þsy
Match Winner

Post by þsy »

But the Bowl doesn't have the necessary prestige to encourage members to stick with one team for 5 ladles. Currently, the Bowl to me feels like a normal ladle except not as good or interesting (maybe that's just me though?)
Soul
Match Winner

Post by Soul »

þsy wrote:But the Bowl doesn't have the necessary prestige to encourage members to stick with one team for 5 ladles. Currently, the Bowl to me feels like a normal ladle except not as good or interesting (maybe that's just me though?)
Personally I felt the bowl wasn't even as important as a regular ladle. I heard others feeling the same way. It was kinda weird that basically no team other than a select few had the same actual roster they normally play with. Not to harp on CT, but they really didn't prove they were the best the whole season by winning the bowl against undermanned teams. Still a good win and fun tournament!

Either way is fine with me, but I think lowering the ladle count is a good idea.
Last edited by Soul on Thu May 02, 2013 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gonzap
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Gonzap »

It's ok, meet us at ladle 69 and prove we're not as good as we think we are.

And yes psy, it's only you and soul. I think it was more than a normal ladle. More exciting. I personally worked my ass out to win this.

EDIT: just noticed both of you are part of teams that couldn't fill 6 people for the event. WOOPS.