Computer Update

Anything About Anything...
Ratchet
Match Winner

Computer Update

Post by Ratchet »

So, not that long ago I asked for assistance in finding a new laptop. I looked around for a rather long time, and even with many suggestions, I couldn't find what I wanted.

After lots of pondering, I considered allowing myself to step into the unknown and buy a Windows 8 laptop. I looked around, and found a lot more laptop options with Windows 8, but I still couldn't quite find what I wanted. So, I ultimately decided that I would just use my current crappy laptop to do school-related things, and I'd buy me something else.

A desktop. :/ I've still got a few things to round off before I have the perfect machine, but I must admit I do like having a desktop. The ability to customize it is a lot more forgiving than a laptop is.

So, I found a desktop for a fairly reasonable price with some pretty intense specs.
Computer: ASUS CM6870-US015S
RAM: 16GB DDR3
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 620 2GB
Processor: Intel Core i7 3770(3.40GHz) (3.70 GHz boost)

Pretty spiffy machine, if I do say so myself. The windows 8 isn't very hard to get used to. I booted up tron for the first time and got the 60FPS cap of Ndivia cards, and I had to locate the graphics panel to disable VSync for tron to undo the cap. It runs at roughly 1000FPS in most scenarios, and can jump up to 3000 or so if I do a few of the tricks to get better tron performance.

Overall, I like it a lot. It didn't come with a monitor, so I'm having to buy one of those (playing on HDTV with HDMI currently - not bad graphics, but 15ms response time is a killer) to be able to play tron properly without too much delay. Also, they keyboard it comes with isn't a notable gaming keyboard, as apparent by the 4-consecutive keys ghosting. I can't triple/single too quickly in tron or the 4th key (single) will not register.

I may eventually update the 300W power supply to a 700/800 and get a higher end graphics card (GT 620 is low-range), but I'm quite satisfied for now.

$860 Computer
$140 Monitor
$70? Keyboard

$1,070 for this thing is hardly asking much.
"Dream as if you'll live forever,
Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean
delinquent
Match Winner

Re: Computer Update

Post by delinquent »

Very nice.

You don't, however, need to pay that much for a monitor, keyboard and mouse:

Monitor
Keyboard - Do yourself a favour and stay away from wireless crap
Mouse

Also, get yourself a new PSU now rather than later. That system is sitting on the edge of 250w av. as it is, without any accessories plugged in.

To those of you wondering: Fractal are new to the components area, they mainly design cases. So far, their stuff has sterling reviews. I use a Fractal 1400w in my build, and it's been pushed right up to that on more than one occasion, reliably.

Edit: To the average PC gamer, I'd still call the 650 a mid-range. Is it nVidia branded or is it from another manufacturer?
Renegade
Core Dumper

Post by Renegade »

Cyberpowerpc.com

Nice customizability in desktops and laptops.

I bought mine there for about the same price.

Ratchet
Match Winner

Post by Ratchet »

@Deli: I'm not too terribly concerned about prices. I can shell out a few more bucks to satisfy myself that I'm getting something high-quality.

That monitor you provided doesn't have HDMI, and I want to use HDMI.
The keyboard may be a good option.
I don't need a new mouse (not really big on gaming mouses, I like what it came with :) )

Also, I need at least 700W PSU, that one is only 500W? I believe is what it said. No-can-do!

This is what I'm looking at:

Monitor

Keyboard (An expensive one - admittedly. I'd settle for a standard anti-ghosting keyboard if I could find one)

PSU

Graphics

@Renegade: Nice :P
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

Not a bad spec ratchet - you pretty much can't get better on the CPU or memory front without skipping into Xeon territory. I'm interested to hear how that works out for you - you've pretty much gone the opposite direction I did with my gaming PC. I got the lowest end of the lowest end for CPU and RAM and piled most of my limited budget into an XFX 6950. The general plan is then to upgrade the CPU in the future...
Bytes
Round Winner

Post by Bytes »

I've got that PSU, my first one exploded when I put a graphics card on it. However I do think that was just a faulty one I got, the replacement one (free) is holding up fine.
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

The monitor is pretty swish, I approve. OK, if money is no object, that sounds fine. I would, though, go for a gold cert on a PSU. I can't stress how important reliability is, and tbh, even though people are going to disagree here, I don't think so highly of Corsair's build quality. I do recommend them if you have a tight budget, but if you have the dosh then here:

Cooler-Master's RS series are pretty decent. I would plump for this one.

This is a Radeon based card from Sapphire. I ******* love this beast, it's a good all-round performer and it's got sterling reviews. It is a bit out of date though, so:

AMD have a giant of a card here. It's ******* expensive, mind, but if you have the cash you really would get a ******* kick out of this.

Edit: That keyboard is a beaut. However, you really need to make sure that you clean it damned regularly.
Ratchet
Match Winner

Post by Ratchet »

Tank Program wrote:Not a bad spec ratchet - you pretty much can't get better on the CPU or memory front without skipping into Xeon territory. I'm interested to hear how that works out for you - you've pretty much gone the opposite direction I did with my gaming PC. I got the lowest end of the lowest end for CPU and RAM and piled most of my limited budget into an XFX 6950. The general plan is then to upgrade the CPU in the future...
When asking a friend of mine he suggested go heavy on the CPU front and upgrade the graphics as I get the money to. The logic being it's a bit easier to change a graphics card than delicately applying thermal paste and correctly installing a CPU.

I don't think I'll be needing any CPU upgrades in the next 5 years minimum - as you said - it's pretty high up there without handing out money. Plus, I don't think I'll ever max this one's capabilities out as-is.

I think a card, like the GeForce GTX 650 TI will do justice to any game I'll ever play. After finally getting a monitor, keyboard, graphics card, and PSU I'll have quite a machine.

@Deli:
Your $175 card
My $129.99 card

I intend to buy NVIDIA :P

Why do you say clean the keyboard regularly? haha, the price? I don't bring food in my room, nor do I ever play on the computer with messy hands. It should stay clean !
Renegade
Core Dumper

Post by Renegade »

OoooO, that's nice video card dood, I have something similar :p

What kind of motherboard you packing? If you have the money, I might suggest you lean toward something that can handle 2-3 video cards if you're gonna do some hardcore gaming with your machine, but then, of course, you'll need the proper PSU to handle such powah. Though, if you're just gonna play tron, it's overkill, haha. Multiple video cards are also good for when you have multiple monitors :)

Keyboard is nice :)

I'd definitely get a case that's organized, and everything is easy to locate, replace, or clean since you're planning on having this long term commitment ;o

Kgo
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

Ratchet wrote: @Deli:
Your $175 card
My $129.99 card

I intend to buy NVIDIA :P

Why do you say clean the keyboard regularly? haha, the price? I don't bring food in my room, nor do I ever play on the computer with messy hands. It should stay clean !
Those specs are for the stock chipset. The vendor, sapphire, build their own card and just use the chipset. All in all, it's still pretty good. OK, nVidia are nice. I prefer AMD though. However, if you get another 650 on top, eyefinity will give you two or three screens as one, and still play beautifully.

The keyboard is still susceptible to dust - and dust is a sworn enemy of mechanical anything xD
Ratchet
Match Winner

Post by Ratchet »

Renegade wrote:OoooO, that's nice video card dood, I have something similar :p

What kind of motherboard you packing? If you have the money, I might suggest you lean toward something that can handle 2-3 video cards if you're gonna do some hardcore gaming with your machine, but then, of course, you'll need the proper PSU to handle such powah. Though, if you're just gonna play tron, it's overkill, haha. Multiple video cards are also good for when you have multiple monitors :)

Keyboard is nice :)

I'd definitely get a case that's organized, and everything is easy to locate, replace, or clean since you're planning on having this long term commitment ;o

Kgo
Hah, not sure what all games yet. Tron, for a start ;)
I probably won't run into any games where computer-power is lacking, at least not right now. I'm just aiming for a monitor to play on :P This 15ms TV makes it impossible to tron!
Clutch
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Clutch »

Come play Age of Empires III with me, I'm all aloney
Boxed
ionamartin123

Post by ionamartin123 »

Ratchet wrote:So, not that long ago I asked for assistance in finding a new laptop. I looked around for a rather long time, and even with many suggestions, I couldn't find what I wanted.

After lots of pondering, I considered allowing myself to step into the unknown and buy a Windows 8 laptop. I looked around, and found a lot more laptop options with Windows 8, but I still couldn't quite find what I wanted. So, I ultimately decided that I would just use my current crappy laptop to do school-related things, and I'd buy me something else.

A desktop. :/ I've still got a few things to round off before I have the perfect machine, but I must admit I do like having a desktop. The ability to customize it is a lot more forgiving than a laptop is.

So, I found a desktop for a fairly reasonable price with some pretty intense specs.
Computer: ASUS CM6870-US015S
RAM: 16GB DDR3
Processor: Intel Core i7 3770(3.40GHz) (3.70 GHz boost)

Pretty spiffy machine, if I do say so myself. The windows 8 isn't very hard to get used to. I booted up tron for the first time and got the 60FPS cap of Ndivia cards, and I had to locate the graphics panel to disable VSync for tron to undo the cap. It runs at roughly 1000FPS in most scenarios, and can jump up to 3000 or so if I do a few of the tricks to get better tron performance.

Overall, I like it a lot. It didn't come with a monitor, so I'm having to buy one of those (playing on HDTV with HDMI currently - not bad graphics, but 15ms response time is a killer) to be able to play tron properly without too much delay. Also, they keyboard it comes with isn't a notable gaming keyboard, as apparent by the 4-consecutive keys ghosting. I can't triple/single too quickly in tron or the 4th key (single) will not register.

I may eventually update the 300W power supply to a 700/800 and get a higher end graphics card (GT 620 is low-range), but I'm quite satisfied for now.

$860 Computer
$140 Monitor
$70? Keyboard

$1,070 for this thing is hardly asking much.
Vogue
Match Winner

Post by Vogue »

:lol:
Monkey
Match Winner

Post by Monkey »

Just a quick note about monitors. I have an HDMI monitor but I don't connect to it via HDMI. Why? Because the sound quality of the monitor is not as good as that of seperate speakers. So I connect to the monitor using DVI and to my seperate speakers using an audio cable.
Playing since December 2006