Confused with Hosting Armagetron Server on Mac.

Post here if you need help setting up your server, etc.
LittleSteps
Core Dumper

Confused with Hosting Armagetron Server on Mac.

Post by LittleSteps »

:D Well, Hello there! Thank you for taking your time to look at my topic.

First of all! I am an average user and find the Mac Wiki hosting Server helping page a bit difficult to understand.
I am not sure at all on how to launch or start a server.

I have looked and went over The http://wiki.armagetronad.org/index.php/ ... ted_Server Page and Still have yet to understand how to launch a server.

I am not too sure about the launchd (because the link is missing). I am also not too sure about the The .PList file but I believe that's because I am not sure where I am supposed to put the server start command file or what I am going to open ( to launch) the server in.

I know I could be asking a pretty blank question and not giving too much info, but I am mainly just having trouble figuring out how to get the server started or what I am supposed to do to launch it.

Thank's In Advance! :P

(Don't know if any of that maters below I just saw someone else do it so I did it :) )

Mac Information;
Processor 2.6 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 512 MB
Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63)

If you need any more information! Just ask!!
I have really good internet and I don't have the money to buy a server so I want to host one :)
I know this has been posted before and z-man has answered to that topic by replying with the Wiki Link's which like I said I am having trouble understanding :oops:
http://forums3.armagetronad.net/viewtop ... 22&t=21501

I also see this question has been posted more than twice and people are annoyed :/
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Re: Confused with Hosting Armagetron Server on Mac.

Post by dlh »

If you don't want to use launchd, you can run the server manually.

You can also use a newer 0.4 armagetronad-dedicated version (for OS X 10.7+), and simply launch the server by opening it from the Finder (like you would with any application).
LittleSteps
Core Dumper

Post by LittleSteps »

dlh wrote:If you don't want to use launchd, you can run the server manually.

You can also use a newer 0.4 armagetronad-dedicated version (for OS X 10.7+), and simply launch the server by opening it from the Finder (like you would with any application).

Oh WOW! :P Awesome, I am now using the 0.4 armagetronad-dedicated version server you told me about but the issue now is it is only showing up on LAN :? I am still very happy for a response and getting some kind of server up :D Maybe I have not yet port fowarded? I have talk_to_master 1 set.

Any suggestions :) ? Thank's btw dlh
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

LittleSteps wrote:I have talk_to_master 1 set.
My masters do not show any servers advertising from the IP you just posted under over the last couple of days, so something went wrong there. Can you post the console output of the server?
LittleSteps
Core Dumper

Post by LittleSteps »

This is what it says after I launch the server:

Code: Select all

LittleSteps-macbook-pro:~ lacvideo$ /Users/lacvideo/Desktop/Armagetron\ Advanced\ Dedicated/bin/armagetronad-dedicated ; exit;
[0] Command HISTORY_SIZE_CONSOLE unknown.
[0] 
[0] Command MOTION_BLUR_TIME unknown.
[0] 
[0] Bound socket to *.*.*.*:62254.
[0] Bound socket to *.*.*.*:4534.
[0] Setting CYCLE_BRAKE_REFILL (Group: Annoying) deviates from its default value; clients older than 0.2.5.0 may experience problems.
[0] Setting VERIFY_COLOR_STRICT (Group: Visual) deviates from its default value; it will revert to it when clients older than 0.3.1_pb connect.
[0] Ping charity changed from 0 to 500.
[0] Nobody there. Taking a nap...
[0] Timestamp: 2013/04/08 22:33:52
[0] Closing socket bound to *.*.*.*:4534
[0] Bound socket to *.*.*.*:4534.

The server should be called
LittleStep's Test Server!
(In rainbow Html color codes)
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Post by LOVER$BOY »

Ok... did you try port forwarding? That could be the thing you might've missed in your over enthusiastic :)

Also, you say random html color codes. Are you using # or 0x? In tron, 0x****** are recognised as color codes. If a lines starts with #, that line becomes a comment.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Port forwarding may be missing, but the main thing right now is that there is no talking to the master happening in the posted log, so you probably put your talk_to_master into the wrong file. Unfortunately, I don't yet where that new shiny mac build (thanks, dlh!) can take its config from, so.... dlh! Help!
LittleSteps
Core Dumper

Post by LittleSteps »

LOVER$BOY wrote:Ok... did you try port forwarding? That could be the thing you might've missed in your over enthusiastic :)

Also, you say random html color codes. Are you using # or 0x? In tron, 0x****** are recognised as color codes. If a lines starts with #, that line becomes a comment.

I wouldn't use #! I know you have to use 0x(html color code) :lol: . I'm trying to port forward the port 4534 now! I think that is what I am suppose if I even know what I am talking about :oops: I am not getting anywhere :( I have a Comcast xfinity router and I am logged in it trying to port forward 4534 but it say's This Current IP is an error. :?
Last edited by LittleSteps on Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LittleSteps
Core Dumper

Post by LittleSteps »

Z-Man wrote:Port forwarding may be missing, but the main thing right now is that there is no talking to the master happening in the posted log, so you probably put your talk_to_master into the wrong file. Unfortunately, I don't yet where that new shiny mac build (thanks, dlh!) can take its config from, so.... dlh! Help!
Well I am not sure how to configure all the settings :D . So when it pops up with the terminal (when I start the server) I just type in talk_to_master 1. I would think that would change something because the terminal acts like the server console when you open the start file. :P
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

talk_to_master is one of the settings that must be loaded when the server starts, or else it will not talk to the master servers. For this reason it must be in a configuration file. I am not exactly sure where they are stored on mac's, but It should be in a similar place as your user.cfg file, only one of the folders should be armagetronad-dedicated instead of armagetronad.
Light

Post by Light »

I'm pretty sure you can use the locate command in Mac. So, you could try "locate armagetronad-dedicated" and the folder should come up. If nothing comes up, you may need to update the database, but I'm unsure how in Mac.
LittleSteps
Core Dumper

Post by LittleSteps »

I don't know if this matters but I thought I would post this.

(in the config folder)

:)
kyle
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

That looks like where it installed, If you change stuff there when you upgrade anything you've added will be deleted.

you could run armagetron with the option --configdir /path/to/your/config_folder

and in your config_folder add a file like settings_custom.cfg (naming is critical as there are only a few names that get automatically included) and then add your settings to that.
Light

Post by Light »

kyle wrote:That looks like where it installed, If you change stuff there when you upgrade anything you've added will be deleted.

you could run armagetron with the option --configdir /path/to/your/config_folder

and in your config_folder add a file like settings_custom.cfg (naming is critical as there are only a few names that get automatically included) and then add your settings to that.
He could just create the server_info.cfg and settings_custom.cfg there couldn't he? It won't get overwritten during an update.
LittleSteps
Core Dumper

Post by LittleSteps »

I was looking at port forwarding again and I think I have port forwarded but I am not sure.

This is what the server terminal says now when I launch the server.

Code: Select all

Last login: Tue Apr  9 09:39:07 on ttys002
sserver:~ LittleSteps$ /Users/LittleSteps/Desktop/Armagetron\ Advanced\ Dedicated/bin/armagetronad-dedicated ; exit;
[0] Command HISTORY_SIZE_CONSOLE unknown.
[0] 
[0] Command MOTION_BLUR_TIME unknown.
[0] 
[0] Bound socket to *.*.*.*:55329.
[0] sn_SetNetState: Unable to open accept socket on desired port 4534, Trying next ports...
[0] Bound socket to *.*.*.*:4536.
[0] Setting CYCLE_BRAKE_REFILL (Group: Annoying) deviates from its default value; clients older than 0.2.5.0 may experience problems.
[0] Setting VERIFY_COLOR_STRICT (Group: Visual) deviates from its default value; it will revert to it when clients older than 0.3.1_pb connect.
[0] Ping charity changed from 0 to 500.
[0] Nobody there. Taking a nap...
[0] Timestamp: 2013/04/09 11:51:15
[0] Closing socket bound to *.*.*.*:4536
[0] Bound socket to *.*.*.*:4536.
Not sure if I port forwarded right. But I set the start port to 4534 and the end port to 4534. ( Not sure if that works if I set the end port and start port to the same thing. :lol: I'm also still looking at finding where I should change the sets so I can make talk_to_master 1 a default thing that is loaded.

It won't show because it won't connect to the master server yet though.