Sign-up changes to ALL my tournaments.

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

Cody
Shutout Match Winner

Sign-up changes to ALL my tournaments.

Post by Cody »

Affected tournaments after Sunday: 1v1SB, 1v132/48/64, SBT, SbSBT, whatever future tournament I have/make.

I'm removing sign-ups. I'm tired of people signing up and not showing up. Its a hassle because then we gotta find subs and then they gotta be oped and yaddy yaddy ya and it seems after brackets go up, thats when the most of you drop out(probably got a hard bracket or a match you just dont like so you just don't show up)

So to prevent people from dropping out due to:
Hard Brackets
Forgetting the Time
Unexpected Event comes up on that date

I will be implementing the Lobby System.

Whats the Lobby System you ask? Heres an example.

Lobby System for SBT:

How it will go is, 30 minutes before opening rounds, Tronners who wish to play in that SBT will go to the SBT Lobby Server(will have a max clients of 65) If you wanna play on the USA side of SBT put your name in RED, If you wanna play on the EURO side of SBT put your name in BLUE.

The first 32 Red players will be placed in USA & the first 32 Blue players will be placed in EURO.
From there, after I take down everyone's name, Ill go to the IRC and make brackets(takes me 20 minutes top)
Ill post the brackets (at this point it should be 10mins til opening round), after brackets posted everyone goes to their assigned server/bracket/match.

Rules of the lobby system
1a. Don't enter the Lobby Server IF YOU DONT PLAN ON PLAYING
1b. I don't care if your friend is in there, you can talk to him/her in their assigned server after they get randomized in brackets.
1c. If you need to get ahold of me about something wait til Im done randomizing the brackets.

2a. Enter the server with your name either in RED(USA/ R15 G0 B0 ) or BLUE(EURO/ R0 G0 B15)
2b. Anyone who enters the server not wearing either of those color will be kicked.

3a. You MUST stay in lobby server til brackets are POSTED and I say you guys are ready to go.
3b. Leaving the Lobby server before brackets are posted, means you forfeit your spot.

I will making this a bit more structured but its 3am and I gotta run to walmart to pick up supplies just in case i get snowed in.
Shock
Core Dumper

Re: Sign-up changes to ALL my tournaments.

Post by Shock »

Hey, Cody. It sounds like you'll be fairly busy the hour before tournies start. You'll probably get a ton of questions, updates on servers, etc. in that time, so it will probably get hectic for you! Hope you get some aid to make it easy.
Tobe
Round Winner

Post by Tobe »

This is a good idea so we can actually get full brackets. But I have a suggestion Cody since lobby servers are always liable for disorganization because people not reading things when they are supposed to or the lobby gets spammed by public and spectator chat.

How about using an new IRC channel and borrowing epsy's pickup bot or something of the like for the day? When it is time to register, players type !add US, !add EU, or !add SUB. If they want to remove before brackets become full, they type !remove. Players using smurf names can just be kicked.
<-- Proud co-leader of Rogue Tronners
Magi
Match Winner

Post by Magi »

Tobe wrote:This is a good idea so we can actually get full brackets. But I have a suggestion Cody since lobby servers are always liable for disorganization because people not reading things when they are supposed to or the lobby gets spammed by public and spectator chat.

How about using an new IRC channel and borrowing epsy's pickup bot or something of the like for the day? When it is time to register, players type !add US, !add EU, or !add SUB. If they want to remove before brackets become full, they type !remove. Players using smurf names can just be kicked.
That sounds like a pretty good idea, 64 people in a lobby would seem pretty hectic
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

bye
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Tobe wrote:This is a good idea so we can actually get full brackets. But I have a suggestion Cody since lobby servers are always liable for disorganization because people not reading things when they are supposed to or the lobby gets spammed by public and spectator chat.
As far as I understand the process, the only important communication on the server is
a) players are there
b) players are named and colored correctly
Chat is going to be ignored, brackets still will be on the web.
Vogue
Match Winner

Post by Vogue »

This is a very good idea Cody, too bad people in this game can't read and it'll probably be a mess. If you need help just ask, I'm really good at silencing and kicking people (ask pickupers! vote badmin liz 2k13) :b
Fippmam
Round Winner

Post by Fippmam »

^ lul naice sig nube

On a serious note, I thought you already decided on banning people who don't show up? That seems like It'd be more effective than this method you're implementing but hey, we'll see. I just know that i'd be more likely to show up to a tourney if I already have a reserved spot, rather than if I might get a spot. This new method basically guarantees no one a spot, which is both good and bad, I suppose.

Anyway if you go through with it, I'd be willing to help organize and whatnot 'cause like Shock said, it seems really labor-heavy.
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

Fippmam wrote:On a serious note, I thought you already decided on banning people who don't show up? That seems like It'd be more effective than this method you're implementing
Well with banning, it still happens, just that sad stuff also happens in consequence. With this, the problem is theoretically(look a pickup) non-existent. Looking at this alone, it's a no-brainer.
raph
Average Program

Post by raph »

So when we want to play in a tourney, it may be pointless to plan our schedule around it if it is not guaranteed we can play? What if people enter and exit then want a spot cause they were there first? Would authentication be required?

Edit: your post answered my 2nd question already
BiggySmalls
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by BiggySmalls »

If people could just show up, this would be a lot easier...

I like the idea, Cody, and I think it's a good solution, but I also don't think it is needed - handing out heavier punishments to people who don't show up could be more effective. Banning/Suspending those who don't show up should be enough of an incentive for those who aren't sure if they will make it to not sign up. Also, this way people are guaranteed a spot if they sign up rather than showing up last minute and hoping to make it.
Fippmam
Round Winner

Post by Fippmam »

BiggySmalls wrote:If people could just show up, this would be a lot easier...

rather than showing up last minute and hoping to make it.
This is essentially my only gripe about the idea.
Cronix
Match Winner

Post by Cronix »

So your tournaments are already hella early for EU players. And you even want me to come even earlier?
I mean I like the idea and I really like that you hate no-shows as much as others.

I could go afk as soon as I entered the server, right? Just to get something to eat or to do stuff :D

So you will remove seeds completely?
Signature? wtf...