Shenanaboosh Server's and Hosting

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
Moofie
Core Dumper

Shenanaboosh Server's and Hosting

Post by Moofie »

Hi there! I really had no clue where to put this, please move it if it belongs somewhere else. Welp, SoulOfSet and I have a server hosting business setup. We've been doing a lot with arma lately, and decided it'd be cool to do.

Servers' are, as of now, $4 USD per month for however many slots of your choosing. With that, you will have full control over the server. You can connect to it via FTP, SSH, or the control panel that is currently under setup (but working), and you can change anything and everything.

If you would need anything stored online (RINCLUDE files, maps, etc), we'd be happy to stick it on the site for you to use as well.

We have a couple servers' up too, notably Shenanaboosh Low Rubber Sumobar (1 rubber), Shenanaboosh Loose Dogfight, and Shenanaboosh High Rubber Team Deathmatch. Also Shenanaboosh Hosting Demo Server, where you can go in to check out how it runs for you. Server's are in New York, USA.

Our website is located at http://shenanaboosh.me, check us out(even if you have no intention of buying)! We have a forum setup as well on the site, you may also make @shenanaboosh.me Global ID's.

We plan on in the near future setting up a blog as well, more to come later on that.

As of right now, SoulOfSet is unavailable for most times, but I am very active, so please talk to me if you need anything!

EDIT: Right right, server specs. The machine has 1gb RAM, 1TB bandwidth, not sure of the others, but upon request I will find em'. I'd also like to upgrade the machine sometime in the future.
Soul
Match Winner

Re: Shenanaboosh Server's and Hosting

Post by Soul »

Cool, good luck to you two!
Cody
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Cody »

If anyone wants to host their own severs for cheaper, i suggest this

VPS

March Sale 2048 13′
2048 MB RAM
2560 MB Burst RAM
60 GB SSD-Cached DiskSpace
2000 GB Bandwidth
4 CPU Cores
1 IPv4 Address
OpenVZ/SolusVM
$6.00/Month or $19.00/6($3.17~/Month) Months - https://www.ugvps.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=99

March Sale 1024 13′
1024 MB RAM
1536 MB Burst RAM
40 GB SSD-Cached DiskSpace
1000 GB Bandwidth
4 CPU Cores
1 IPv4 Address
OpenVZ/SolusVM
$4.25/month or $12.00/6($2.00/Month) Months - https://www.ugvps.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=98
Last edited by Cody on Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:31 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Light »

Cody wrote:If anyone wants to host their own severs for cheaper, i suggest this

https://www.ugvps.com/cart.php?a=confproduct&i=0
Overselling much?

Code: Select all

Unlimited
Domains: Unlimited
Email boxes: Unlimited
Space: Unlimited
Mysql: Unlimited
cPanel Included
Trendy Website Builder Included
Softaculous Included
And with shared hosting, it's doubtful you get SSH access to install everything needed. On top of that, I doubt they would allow you to run game servers.
Cody
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Cody »

Light wrote:
Cody wrote:If anyone wants to host their own severs for cheaper, i suggest this

https://www.ugvps.com/cart.php?a=confproduct&i=0
Overselling much?

Unlimited
Domains: Unlimited
Email boxes: Unlimited
Space: Unlimited
Mysql: Unlimited
cPanel Included
Trendy Website Builder Included
Softaculous Included
And with shared hosting, it's doubtful you get SSH access to install everything needed. On top of that, I doubt they would allow you to run game servers.
They do allow game servers :) why pay you guys $4 a month for 1 server when you can pay $2-$3.17 a month for 4 severs :P

ALSO the links provided you , are NOT shared hosting wtf you be looking at.
Light

Post by Light »

First, you wouldn't be giving me anything. I'm not a part of his hosting.

Second, look at the specs of that $3 server.

Ram: 64 MB
Space: 5 GB
Port: 1 Gbps
Bandwidth: 250 GB
IPv4: 1
They don't give much info, but from what they do ... Bandwidth should be okay for just Tron servers, and for most, even the space is okay. I do see a problem though, trying to run game servers with 64MB of ram. The server itself will take up a nice chunk of that.

You may be able to get away with the $9 one, although it'd still be nice if they gave more info about the servers.
Cody wrote:ALSO the links provided you , are NOT shared hosting wtf you be looking at.
That would be because you edited your post 11 minutes after I replied.

And to answer why people would want to use hosting someone has set up would be because most people don't understand how to set everything up. Then if they get an error, they don't know what to do, and may end up wasting their money on the hosting. If you get hosting from someone who does know what they're doing, then everything is already set up for you, and it's very easy for them to get in and make the server how they want.

And if you really want to go for cheapest, you can run it off of a home network given your connection ain't shit. I run a bit off my home network, and it doesn't lag much.
Cody
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Cody »

Light wrote:First, you wouldn't be giving me anything. I'm not a part of his hosting.

Second, look at the specs of that $3 server.

They don't give much info, but from what they do ... Bandwidth should be okay for just Tron servers, and for most, even the space is okay. I do see a problem though, trying to run game servers with 64MB of ram. The server itself will take up a nice chunk of that.

You may be able to get away with the $9 one, although it'd still be nice if they gave more info about the servers.
Cody wrote:ALSO the links provided you , are NOT shared hosting wtf you be looking at.
That would be because you edited your post 11 minutes after I replied.

And to answer why people would want to use hosting someone has set up would be because most people don't understand how to set everything up. Then if they get an error, they don't know what to do, and may end up wasting their money on the hosting. If you get hosting from someone who does know what they're doing, then everything is already set up for you, and it's very easy for them to get in and make the server how they want.

And if you really want to go for cheapest, you can run it off of a home network given your connection ain't shit. I run a bit off my home network, and it doesn't lag much.

the 3.17/month(gotta buy 6months) server is

2048 MB RAM
2560 MB Burst RAM
60 GB SSD-Cached DiskSpace
2000 GB Bandwidth
4 CPU Cores
1 IPv4 Address
OpenVZ/SolusVM
NOT

You're looking at what they regularly offer, I posted their blowout sale VPS. Way better deal then what they regularly offer.
Light

Post by Light »

Cody wrote:the 3.17/month(gotta buy 6months) server is
Bit better but still requires that the user knows what they're doing, and most don't. You make it sound like they can rent that VPS and start hosting their servers, but many of them would hit more problems than anything else.
Cody
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Cody »

Light wrote:
Cody wrote:the 3.17/month(gotta buy 6months) server is
Bit better but still requires that the user knows what they're doing, and most don't. You make it sound like they can rent that VPS and start hosting their servers, but many of them would hit more problems than anything else.
I find VPS are super easy to set up and host tron servers. Its like ABC
Light

Post by Light »

Cody wrote:I find VPS are super easy to set up and host tron servers. Its like ABC
But then you're probably not computer illiterate like most of the population. If you've ever worked in support, you'd understand how bad some people are.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

I would like to see instructions on how to set up a server.
Light

Post by Light »

sinewav wrote:I would like to see instructions on how to set up a server.
There's an okay tutorial on the wiki. I wouldn't use it for hosting though. If you only plan to set up one server, you could just download the server service to install (I think it's just an .exe on Windows).

If you plan to use multiple servers, then you want to use screens and load each individually.
kyle
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

it's soo easy to setup even a caveman could do it :)

linux based, get required packaqges (I have the list someplace)
make a new user account.
Create some directories
place config files in proper locations
get the code from launchpad and compile the server
find some scripts and configure them to how you made your directories
run the start script in a screen session (if the script does not create the screen for you)
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Light wrote:
sinewav wrote:I would like to see instructions on how to set up a server.
There's an okay tutorial on the wiki.
Surely you are not talking about this? Because that "Server Administration Guide" is completely unhelpful to a person without previous server setup experience. As far as I'm concerned, there is no information available for the average player to get started hosting.
kyle wrote:it's soo easy to setup even a caveman could do it :)
You getting a kickback from Geico now? If it's so easy, then someone should create a tutorial. I'm dead serious. Especially when it comes to tournaments, specifically Ladle, we are perpetually short of servers. If more people knew how to get a VPS and set up a server, maybe we wouldn't have to beg the community every month so dozens of people can play an event that's been going on for years.

Think about it.
Light

Post by Light »

sinewav wrote:Surely you are not talking about this?
I was thinking more about this. It's a bit more noob friendly on the Debian server line.

But, it really is quite easy. You just need to install dependencies, and get zthread, then build the server with whatever parameters you're happy with. After that, you set the directories for the server you want to run in the parameters of the executable, and like magic, you have a server. The tutorial will go over using bash loop script to reboot when the server is closed with "/admin exit" or crashes too.

If you would like a better tutorial, you could make one. If you try to figure out how to set it up, and you run into any problems .. feel free to ask and I'll be happy to help. Then you can write a tutorial that fits what you got in mind.