Re: Cycling

Post by delinquent »

Crud, don't burst my bubble! Troncar!
OK, OK, it probably isn't road legal :(
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

It's by no means impossible! I just question whether a cheap attachment (we're "just slapping it on a car") will survive for too long.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
Bytes
Round Winner

Post by Bytes »

I'm not sure if you could put green on the right and red on the left to somehow stay within the law..?
þsy
Match Winner

Post by þsy »

Interesting video on Alleycat Races, worth a watch (a little repetitive after a while, but watching some of the lines they take is pretty exhilarating for a little while at least)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0npCFw9TEnA

If things work out, I might make it to the Monstertrack in New York this March! Not to participate unfortunately.. But should be fun to watch
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

I agree with the top comment, by Drew Levitt: "This would be awesome if it were fictional, like The Fast and the Furious. But in the real world, this puts the lives of pedestrians, fellow riders, and drivers at risk. I am an avid cyclist, and I find this riding style unconscionable."

By the way, adding to my earlier comments about competitive cycling here in Louisville, we just hosted the UCI Cyclocross Elite World Championships (city page about the venue), some fantastically filthy fun.
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

I admire those cyclists, but if one of them rode in front of me in that manner he'd get the business end of my fist.
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Post by LOVER$BOY »

You might reconsider that if the guy was twice as big as you. Fighting with big guys isn't a joke :P Although that never stopped me from taking a crack at them and even knocking the lights out of three bullies during my Year 10 when they were bullying some Year 8 students. ;)

As far as accidents are considered, I feel I had my share of bad experience. I should know since I got run over by a car when I was only 3. Funnily enough, a year later I fell of a high 3 meter gate and cracked my skull. Since then my memory has been... rather... unreliable. I have good memory for the ones I have interest in but the ones I have none, I completely forget about. It's quite a handy ability to have around if your going to be taking crap and insults from proud and arrogant idiots in the society :wink:

Side-affects of any sort of accident sure is one hell of a pain. I still remember the time when I accidentally crashed on my mountain cycle. Had the stitches inside and outside of my mouth. Had trouble eating properly and, worst of all, I couldn't laugh. If I laughed, the stitches would get tense and the intense pain is enough to make any kid try their lungs out. This happened 4 years ago when I was still in Grade 9. Back then I laughed a lot as I found enjoyment easily. So, I suffered a month of trying hard not to laugh and at the same time clap my hands over my cheeks to stop them from widening as my smile grew wider and laughed. :x

Oh well, that was a long time ago and since then I avoid getting on a cycle if I could help it :P
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

þsy wrote:Interesting video on Alleycat Races, worth a watch (a little repetitive after a while, but watching some of the lines they take is pretty exhilarating for a little while at least)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0npCFw9TEnA
This is one reason bicycles are often seen as a toy rather than a legitimate mode of transport. Traffic is not a playground.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
Nub
Average Program

Post by Nub »

Thought this would be relevant to this thread, it's a video on how the dutch got their excellent bicycle infrastructure. It's somewhat long, but I found the history in the video to be truly captivating. Hopefully someone else will too!

http://www.wimp.com/cyclepaths/
Image Image Image Image
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

That's actually from the same guy who made the first video in this thread. Here it is on YouTube: How the Dutch got their cycle paths

(6:30 is somewhat long?)
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

LOVER$BOY wrote:You might reconsider that if the guy was twice as big as you.
At 6'8" and 16 stone there aren't many who are bigger than me. Having said that, I'd prefer to take on an opponent who is slightly taller than me, since the way I fight gives me great power delivering jawbreakers.
Source: I grew up in the west end of Newcastle. Apparently the second roughest place in Britain.
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Post by LOVER$BOY »

delinquent wrote:
LOVER$BOY wrote:You might reconsider that if the guy was twice as big as you.
At 6'8" and 16 stone there aren't many who are bigger than me. Having said that, I'd prefer to take on an opponent who is slightly taller than me, since the way I fight gives me great power delivering jawbreakers.
Source: I grew up in the west end of Newcastle. Apparently the second roughest place in Britain.
Yup. There aren't many who could match that. I myself am tall but your taller and heavier than me by 10... Although the weight side I am slightly worried but height, you get the tall prize! :D
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Bike boxes added to improve cyclist safety in Louisville
Click on the too-incidental 'More' tab to the left to see a graphic.

Ground broken on final phase of The Parklands of Floyds Fork
I just like that they commemorated it by having cyclist jump dirt ramps, heh.

Dig these super cool bike wheel lights! http://www.monkeylectric.com/
And a Kickstarter: Monkey Light Pro - Bicycle Wheel Display System

Yes, there's a Nyan Cat. I'm partial to the Space Invaders, myself.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

I like those bike boxes. Some places could really use that, but maybe not San Diego where I live now. Everyone is bike conscious and there is a constant steam of people riding all day and night. It's great not having anyone honk their horn and yell "bike fa66ot" at me like in San Antonio where it happened weekly. This morning I had a good ride down to Balboa Park for a protest. Great weather here. Bike racks on every block.

Monkey Lights: Looks like they already met their goal on that kickstarter. Cool, though that Pro model is really expensive.
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

Bike boxes are considered a last resort around here. They don't seem to be too effective, either. But anything that legitimizes your place on the road should help a little, even if just to sneak into the mindset over time. See where it leads you.

I'm pretty sure those Monkey Lights aren't really legal on our roads, notwithstanding some Dutch translations on their site. I suppose it could serve as a distraction, but it sure would be fun to see.

⬇ King/queen ⬇
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn