Holler!

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
delinquent
Match Winner

Holler!

Post by delinquent »

Whilst I'm starting up my business, I thought of a few things that might be of great use to people here. Part of my business is hosting. I have two net lines, both with a pretty beefy fiber connection (gigabit to you americans). One of these connections is used for fileserving and website hosting, the other is specifically set aside for gameserver hosting. My offers are as follows:

- I can take the armagetronad map repository and host it gratis, allowing for key members to upload their maps, so that others can use them without having to change resource addresses.

- I can host a master server. This may be of interest to Z-Man, as I'm also willing to do it gratis. It'll get rid of you having to restart that server of yours, since the filehosting server will be scanned and restarted each week.

- I can provide server hosting to a number of people at a fair price - couple of quid a month is fine by me.

Another area of my business is builds. I'm hoping to ship each new computer out with a micro-cd of select games/software, and I'm hoping that Armagetronad can be included in that selection. It's (in my eyes) a good way to get a handful of the right people playing arma.

There will also be potential offers of distance work when I have the money to start researching an operating system. Hopefully I can create a system that works, only needs kernel updates and is fairly cheap. Maybe even a new language, although that's probably aiming a bit high.

Currently, I'm looking at the hosting and the distribution. Can I have some thoughts?
Moofie
Core Dumper

Re: Holler!

Post by Moofie »

That sounds like a fun business, good luck!
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Post by LOVER$BOY »

That's quite the plan you got there del. I'm impressed :D

I think all of those willing to host a map repository should come together and work about it. I know compguygene is willing to do it and I've already setup mine to let anyone to use my service. So, just saying we should all come together and plan it out and then setup the system so the main branch then goes onto the others in search for that missing file to download into server/client. :)

Well I have a reseller account at 8ing.com which I got for being a member of their group and also for being active. I was thinking of using it for give free hosting but so far no one seemed interest in it. Not that I give it away, just like that :P I only give it to people who either deserve it or an't host themselves.

Good luck with setting up the business :)
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

delinquent wrote:a pretty beefy fiber connection (gigabit to you Americans).
You sure about that? Any other Americans ever hear "gigabit?" I sure don't. Broadband or fiber-optic, yes.

If you can capitalize Armagetron, surely you can do the respect of capitalizing America.
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

Yes, I have heard of Gigabit Fiber connections. Google has setup a neighborhood in Kansas City with that type of network connections as a test. Years ago, when I was a Network engineer, I used to work with fiber like that in Data Centers.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
F0RC3
Core Dumper

Post by F0RC3 »

Like comp said i have heard of gigabit connections as well, but i've only heard of it being hosted by google somewhere in butt **** no where in the US. Though it has been awhile since ive seen that news.

Also Universities have near gigabit connections as well. The university i go to has like a 700 megabit connection. Not a gigabit but still a lot.
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

When it comes to the repository, I was more thinking of taking on the existing one. All that requires is a redirect from resource.armagetronad.net to wherever it's hosted.

And I think I though gigabit was something broader than what it actually is. I will have fibre, but nothing like 1gb down. I estimate about 170mb down.
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

I doubt that they would ever let you move the existing one. When I offered to "take over the existing one", I was offering to help manage it. This is an idea that was put forward by the originator of the main resource repository. Do keep in mind, for as little bandwidth as a master server uses or resource repository uses, there is little advantage performance-wise to moving them from the VPS's that they are hosted on to your hosting. What I was saying about the resource repositories was that we ought to be setting up mirrors. Check out http://wiki.armagetronad.org/index.php/ ... ory_mirror. That explains how to setup a mirror.
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

Aye, but isn't the person who ran the repo long gone? I was under the assumption that nobody can upload new maps to the repo now.
I'll do a mirror, yes.
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

Luke-jr is who we are talking about. He is pretty much too busy working as developent to be able to contribute any longer. However, he turned all the resources over to Tank Program/Zman, and Zman is currently administering the main repo. He has stated elsewhere on this forum that he is considering using the code that Loverboy posted on Launchpad for an uploader to his vertex site. I am going to implement a version of his vertex site for ID to have a repo and an armathentication server. I would recommend that you do something similar, after following the directions on the wiki page for setting up a mirror.
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Post by LOVER$BOY »

Although I am slightly down due to the website going to repairs and everything :(

Anyway, like comp said, you can use the code I left behind in the launchpad place and use it for your own uses for main repository. Setting up an authentication server isn't that hard either. I have the code for that too although in private mode.

There, it's public now. Located here global_login_checker: Code: Armagetron Advanced.