4-Team Fort: 26 Jan @19:00GMT

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

Monkey
Match Winner

Re: 4-Team Fort: 26 Jan @19:00GMT

Post by Monkey »

I agree that this was fun, even though my framerate dropped to a whopping 27 FPS. Good job sine.
sinewav wrote:I expect 4TF participation to vary wildly
Yet again I disagree with you on participation levels. As long as it's not too often, I believe that this tournament will be popular every time it happens.
sinewav wrote:I dream of 4TF becoming an annual or semi-annual event, perhaps even quarterly.
In my mind there is no question that this will happen.
Playing since December 2006
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Decided to take a few screenshots in a row...
Attachments
Secretly, I like 4TF more than 2TF.
Secretly, I like 4TF more than 2TF.
Vogue
Match Winner

Post by Vogue »

It was a lot of fun, would've been more fun to me if we stuck with a few matches in finals, but that's okay. I understand that other people might not want to commit to that. Congrats to the winners (except insa, u sux!)
~Loki
Average Program

Post by ~Loki »

Lots of fun!!
More matches!!
Definitely monthly tournament! A nice Variation on fort maybe we can get some better servers involved tho.
Slickster
Round Winner

Post by Slickster »

Cool animation Sine^!!

Fun matches today. I do think this should be instituted a permanent monthly, or maybe bi-monthly tournament. Tbh wasn't a fan of waiting around for so long for that 2nd semis to finish but obviously next tournament will mean more organization and more teams so i'm lookin forward to that.

Congrats to the winners! Fun playing against u guys in the finals (besides when u torped us D:)
Gonzap
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Gonzap »

1st round torp OP XD :mrgreen:
Nub
Average Program

Post by Nub »

This was really fun! As others have said, thank you Sine for coordinating. Next time I'll have to sign up beforehand.

Also thanks SP second team for not showing up so I could play! (JK we missed you)

There were so many moments where there were like three teams up and two defending which was funny to see the strategy. Overall this whole tournament was lighthearted and good spirited, and it was fun to watch!
Image Image Image Image
woof
Round Winner

Post by woof »

Forgot to sign up for this but it was fun to spectate. Cool tourney and congrats to the winners.
DDMJ
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by DDMJ »

Gonzap wrote:1st round torp OP XD :mrgreen:
It was fun, but I think the scoring should be reworked. Holding your base isn't valued enough imo.
Bytes
Round Winner

Post by Bytes »

But if you over value the base then you won't get any attacking in a 3 defs left situation. The scoring here, if not encouraged, then allowed someone to attack without and serious repurcussions.
Gonzap
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Gonzap »

it is ok, we decided to give more importance into attacking than defending, and it worked better than the strategies focused on defending. At some point all 4 of blue players were defending their base at once, and it wasn't even down!
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

It seems like the main focus of 4TF is killing enemies and preventing one team from stealing a full zone. We did not have any of those instances where only defenders were left refusing to attack each other, and I think having the conquered zone worth more than the held one is part of the reason for this. I even heard some teams say "forget our zone, let them have it -- attack!" I think the score is balanced fairly well. That semi-final was great. Everyone was playing good and the scores were really close.
subfocus
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by subfocus »

Will this tournament become by any chance a monthly or bi-monthly tournament?
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

subfocus wrote:Will this tournament become by any chance a monthly or bi-monthly tournament?
4TF now has a framework that will make it easier to host this event (the wiki page, easy include settings). Anyone with an interest can host the server(s) and announce it. The first 4TF was in Fall 2006. It is not clear if 4TF-2 ever happened. There was another 4TF early in 2010, and then this last one almost exactly 3 years later.

We should not wait another 3 years for this event! It is too much fun. I hope it will turn into an annual, bi-annual, or quarterly event. I doubt the interest is there for monthly or bi-monthly because people get burned out on Fortress fast.

There is talk of adding 4TF to pickup, but it is not clear if this will work.

Let's just say, if we haven't had another 4TF by summer I will probably host it again. \o/
Hoax
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Hoax »

Can this be about every 2/3 months and have random teams ? Brawl is never going to happen :( Just seed the teams so it's even as possible