4-Team Fort: 26 Jan @19:00GMT

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

sinewav
Graphic Artist

4-Team Fort: 26 Jan @19:00GMT

Post by sinewav »

I've decided to host a 4-Team Fortress tournament.

After digging around the forums and the wiki, I found that most info on 4-Team Fort is missing or out of date. So, I've decided to put this into organization with a new wiki page, a blurb on the Competition Hub, and an easy to find map (which is just Durka's map without the extraneous settings). To make this easier to host in the future, I created a server configuration that is just the popular Ladle settings with the necessary modifications/overwrites. Think of this as 4-Team Fort for the modern Fortress era.

Some changes from the original:
The original 4-Team Fort had a higher LIMIT_SCORE, FORTRESS_CONQUERED_SCORE, and SCORE_WIN (8 and 16). I'm leaving the LIMIT_SCORE at Ladle's 100 points, and flipping Ladle's fort_conq and score_win to 6 and 4, respectively (6 is divisible by 1, 2, or 3 teams). After the last 4-Team Fort event we were a little undecided about making it 4 or 5 players. We all agree 5 is more fun, but the lag was a bit crazy. The event I am hosting will be teams of 4. I believe the overall competitiveness of today's Fortress community is such that 4x4 will be a very intense game. (If we had 20 players in a server, and the lag was bad enough a few people died at the beginning of each round, well, why not just make it 16?)

These settings were tested tonight and feel good. The matches took about as long as they should, considering a team needs to win two for victory. We don't need any more epic tournaments -- Ladle is enough!

Some things to be decided:
As popular as Fortress is right now, I still think it is hard to get 4 teams together for a non-Ladle match. Normally in 4TF, a single server with 4 teams plays until one team wins 2 matches. How to scale 4TF to include more than 4 teams is undetermined. We can look to TST for help, but I haven't written anything up for this yet. Any contributions will be appreciated.

That being said, I would like to have this event on 26 Jan @19:00GMT unless there are major objections. Or, we can have this in place of Spoon on the Saturday before Ladle.
Last edited by sinewav on Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Monkey
Match Winner

Re: 4-Team Fort: 26 Jan @19:00GMT (subject to change)

Post by Monkey »

I agree that, for now, four teams of four is best, for reasons of lag. It would, however, be fun to give it a go with four teams of six some time, just for the hell of it.

Personally speaking, I would prefer to have this event on the 26th January rather than to replace the spoon with it.

I'm not fully decided on how to scale this for more than four teams. I think looking to the TST for answers may indeed be the way to go.

I don't agree that it is hard to get four teams together for a non-ladle match though. I think this event will attract plenty of people, especially considering people are being given plenty of notice.

All in all, good job sine.
Playing since December 2006
-*inS*-
Round Winner

Post by -*inS*- »

Nice, thanks for taking the initiative here. The beauty about teams of 4 is that, well each team is only 4 people, of course people can add subs and the like, but subs aren't really necessary when so many fewer matches are being played. With the number of people/clans that were active yesterday, I could definitely see more than one server fill up.
þsy
Match Winner

Post by þsy »

Nice work sine 8) It's a shame I can't play, hopefully I can catch the next one!
Gonzap
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Gonzap »

ct could set like 4 teams with a sub each one LOL looking forward to playing this!
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Good, I am happy there is interest. I signed up my team, you can too. Or not. If I remember correctly, the previous 4TF was a combination of clans and teams picked by captains. I would like to keep it open to people who "drop in" on game day. Let's come back to this on Friday and see if the slots fill up, then we can decide how many servers we need and if we should randomize teams. I was thinking of just keeping the servers open for us to "self-organize," but we will see.
bilbo baggins
Round Winner

Post by bilbo baggins »

im free for any team that needs me, probs be floating around in grid or irc sometime if you need me :D
pike
Round Winner

Post by pike »

Bilbo, let's make a team together!!! :D
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Looks like we will need 2 servers this time. Anyone have ideas how we should handle this? My proposal is, in the opening rounds, the top two teams advance after one match is played. The finals end when one team wins two matches. This might seem like teams who lose in the first round get dumped on, but this competition has potential to run a very, very long time if we are not careful. And, the 4 teams who lose in the opening round can continue to play 4-Team Fort in the unused server if they so desire.
Bytes
Round Winner

Post by Bytes »

Sounds good to me, means any completely one sided matches get finished quick and hopefully will get onto fairer matches early. Have teams signed up by the way or is this all word of mouth to you?
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Re: 4-Team Fort: 26 Jan @19:00GMT

Post by sinewav »

5 Teams so far, and I'm sure a good number of people will be available to fill in the open slots.

EDIT: Well damn, now we have 8 teams signed up. I didn't plan on hosting more than 2 servers. I think we should cap this off at 8 and see what happens. I can't imagine everyone will remember to show up, and subs will be floating around. Right?
Jip
Round Winner

Post by Jip »

I can provide a server.
Pr3
Round Winner

Post by Pr3 »

sinewav wrote:5 Teams so far, and I'm sure a good number of people will be available to fill in the open slots.

EDIT: Well damn, now we have 8 teams signed up. I didn't plan on hosting more than 2 servers. I think we should cap this off at 8 and see what happens. I can't imagine everyone will remember to show up, and subs will be floating around. Right?
Well sinewav, I added a 9th team. With Jip's additional server would that be alright? We could be a sub team if someone doesn't show up. 8)
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Let's see what happens tomorrow. We really should not have an uneven number of teams because brackets get really complicated then. This should be a short event so people can go out and enjoy their Saturday night!
PyrrhicVictory
Average Program

Post by PyrrhicVictory »

sinewav wrote:Let's see what happens tomorrow. We really should not have an uneven number of teams because brackets get really complicated then. This should be a short event so people can go out and enjoy their Saturday night!
I'd like to sign up a team - is this still possible? Or will the tenth spot be the last one?
Image You know where you'll find me.