Yet Another Online Server Browser

Something else for Armagetron? Goody!
nux
Round Winner

Re: Yet Another Online Server Browser

Post by nux »

sinewav wrote:Anyone want to help me launch Arma through Firefox? I can't seem to get it. I added a network protocol and pointed to the executable, but no luck.
Im not sure if this will help you, but we talked about that earlier in the irc channel
(05:23:27 PM) \u03b5: z-man: is there a better place than sysinstall.in to put post-install scripts that can't go to DESTDIR?
(05:24:20 PM) Pnoexz: /usr/bin!
(05:24:52 PM) \u03b5: no, that's only to be run once, no need to pollute */bin
(05:25:13 PM) Pnoexz: what do you want to run?
(05:25:19 PM) Pnoexz: out of curiosity
(05:25:54 PM) \u03b5: xdg-desktop-menu install, xdg-mime install
(05:26:24 PM) Pnoexz: is xdg-mime what i think it is?
(05:26:28 PM) Pnoexz: armagetronad://?
(05:26:41 PM) \u03b5: yeah, it's actually pretty easy to set up now
(05:26:47 PM) Pnoexz: noice
(05:27:27 PM) \u03b5: it treats armagetronad:// as a x-scheme-handler/armagetronad "file" and it goes on from there
(05:27:42 PM) Pnoexz: ******* awesome
(05:28:13 PM) \u03b5: you set up an x-scheme-handler/armagetronad mime to give a name for the thing and a .desktop for the handler to go with it
(05:32:43 PM) Pnoexz: nice
(06:37:38 PM) z-man: and for me, no, sysinstall is the place for post-install stuff.
(06:37:59 PM) z-man: It's our only one, so it's by definition the best :)
(06:38:19 PM) \u03b5: yeah, there were just all the comments at the start... should probably change that then
(06:40:02 PM) \u03b5: about that, I assume it's only because it's legacy code that we're not using xdg-desktop-menu to install our menu entry?
(06:40:33 PM) z-man: As far as I can tell, the comments are all still valid.
(06:40:56 PM) z-man: And yeah, probably. Either that or because I haven't heard of xdg-desktop-menu.
(06:41:22 PM) \u03b5: yeah it's fairly new (few years old)
(06:41:34 PM) \u03b5: any distro looking to package a new release will probably have it
(06:41:42 PM) z-man: Perfectly fine to throw out the old stuff on 0.4 then.
(06:41:59 PM) \u03b5: it's freedesktop.org's attempt to standardise all that stuff
(06:42:14 PM) \u03b5: just gotta hope gnome doesn't throw it out of the window for whatever reason
(06:42:34 PM) z-man: And if they don't have it, tough luck. No menu entries is not what I consider critical.
(06:42:57 PM) \u03b5: also that means armagetronad:// will work on most linux systems then
There's a difference between knowing your shit, and knowing you're shit. Grammar does matter.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Over my head. I'll wait until there is a tutorial.
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

Installing latest 0.4 will do it for you. (At least on Linux, and OSX too I believe.)
epsy

Post by epsy »

Updated!
  • Better performance while sorting/filtering servers
  • The search bar no longer is an exception when saving filters
epsy

Post by epsy »

Updated!
  • Changed "More options" to be "Filters"
  • A new "Clans" tab allows you to view active online clans and filter servers according to clan presence
Try it at http://browser.hashpickup.net/ !
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Remember to clear your cache so you can see it.

This is pretty cool, I'm glad to see a feature like this. I think it will help players organize spontaneous tournaments, whether you need to find your mates for a Fort match, or want to organize a Sumo 3v3 or a 4x TST.

Of course, this means I have to go against my own anti-tag rules and start wearing one to be identified with my mates. I guess it's a small price to pay for more chances to play serious matches.

Cool, cool feature.
Hoax
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Hoax »

:done: :done: :done: :done: :done: "A GREAT server browser"
I heard of this server browser a while back but was using ct's at the time (after txs went down) & thought about switching but browser shortcuts meant I just kept on using ct's. Recently upon a clean os install and after dismissing windows 8 (see the official armagetron advanced forums official windows 8 discussion thread here) I thought it was a good time to start using this browser.
My first impressions were that it looked good however I had to adjust to the clinical design. After a few weeks using it though I could never use a different server browser for armagetron advanced.
PROs
  • Really good looking design
  • Super fast loading time
  • Accurate poll rate, on testing more recent than cts (sorry kyle). No more joining your mates to find out they left already!
  • Zero clan affiliation
  • Uncomplicated web address (you will be bookmarking this badboy anyway)
Nothing is perfect so there are a couple of minor cons,
  • Aparently the owner is French
  • Clan features were added recently. I haven't looked into them but some people may not like this as they hate clans
  • A lot of the time everyone is just playing in SkyTower Sumo Bar anyway
All in all this is a great server browser for the money (£0) and I thoroughly recommend it
8/10 would browse again
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

Hoax wrote:[*]Accurate poll rate, on testing more recent than cts (sorry kyle). No more joining your mates to find out they left already
It actually uses CT's data feed :P, but it auto updates and whatnot.
Zimblunk
Average Program

Post by Zimblunk »

epsy wrote:Updated!
  • Changed "More options" to be "Filters"
  • A new "Clans" tab allows you to view active online clans and filter servers according to clan presence
Try it at http://browser.hashpickup.net/ !
Hey, this update is great! :)

Two questions:
  1. Do you determine clan tags by code, or do you manually fill in the clan tags to filter?
  2. After I click on one of the clans, I cannot click on "Show all players" again; is there another way to go back to showing all players?
epsy

Post by epsy »

Zimblunk wrote:Do you determine clan tags by code, or do you manually fill in the clan tags to filter?
It is automatically determined from the players online. As such it can only be reliable when two players wearing the same tags are online.
Zimblunk wrote:After I click on one of the clans, I cannot click on "Show all players" again; is there another way to go back to showing all players?
That shouldn't be happening. I'll fix it(edit: fixed). In the meantime you can click the X in the searchbar or press alt+r to show all servers, or press alt+d to return to the default filters(hide empty servers).

Thanks for the review Hoax, and thanks for the idea, sine.wav. Although I'm curious, what needs to be done to grab those last two points?
Goodygumdrops
Round Winner

Post by Goodygumdrops »

epsy wrote: Although I'm curious, what needs to be done to grab those last two points?
Did you even read the cons? Renounce your citizenship.
The once and future "I told you so."
epsy

Post by epsy »

Well, I don't have one to begin with.
PyrrhicVictory
Average Program

Post by PyrrhicVictory »

Great server browser, couldn't reach any servers without it.

One con: When I enter a server via the browser, the first three rounds are extremely laggy. This doesn't bug me, unless I have to play good from the beginning on (for example during ladle). Ofc, I can always custom connect, but I just felt the need to tell you about it. Still great work tho!
Image You know where you'll find me.
Hoax
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Hoax »

Goody what the hell, im scared
Pyrr that's an easy fix, just join 3 rounds earlier
PyrrhicVictory
Average Program

Post by PyrrhicVictory »

Hoax wrote:Pyrr that's an easy fix, just join 3 rounds earlier
I like to look casual, that's why I always appear in the last few seconds before a match starts. Oh well, I eventually had to change my habits.
Image You know where you'll find me.