This is my apology.

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
Lucifer
Project Developer

Re: This is my apology.

Post by Lucifer »

No, that's the /dev/null that used to run the emo servers whose names I've forgotten. He disappeared before the fort thing blew up, and he randomly shows back up. :) Word: Since you're the arma historian, the big servers at the time right before fortress and the 0.2.8 release were the Breakfast servers (me and eggcozy and Swampy), /dev/null's servers, and I think that was it. SP had a server then, but mostly it only served their clan. Oh yeah, and MBC. Did I forget anybody? This would have been '04-'05ish.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Lucifer wrote:[/dev/null] disappeared before the fort thing blew up, and he randomly shows back up. :)
Nope, he's been around fairly consistently. (Of course, I can't speak much of the '06-'09 period, but I'm pretty sure I'd see him most times I'd poke my head in during that period.) Mainly in Pud Muddle and Yellow Sub. He's just been using different names.

I believe his servers were called "World of Hate." Then there was TiTnAsS's "World of TnA," or WOTNA. The "World Servers" that...oh, still have a section on this forum.
Word: Since you're the arma historian, the big servers at the time right before fortress and the 0.2.8 release were the Breakfast servers (me [Breakfast in Hell, sometimes team] and eggcozy [Breakfast of Champions and Burrito, though I recall those being down by '05] and Swampy [Swampland and Shrunkland]), /dev/null's servers, and I think that was it. SP had a server then, but mostly it only served their clan. Oh yeah, and MBC. Did I forget anybody? This would have been '04-'05ish.
[Bracketed italices for specificity purposes mine, obviously.]
Others? 'Ish, Tiger's Network, Lobster Cage, Iceman's incam, there was that cool sudden death server whose name I can't recall, um...those Penguin and Spacezone servers were up all the time. I don't know if all those would qualify as "big" by whatever your definition is, but they were pretty regularly active over that year or two leading up to 0.2.8. And then, of course, the first real biggie, Armagoshdarn, though that was pretty much down by '05 (not counting the 'Yet Another' clone servers).
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Shit, I can't believe I forgot Tiger's and Lobster.

I'll contest Armagoshdarnish being around in the same time period, although there was some overlap. ishAdmin took it down fairly soon after I put up my BoC clone. And Armagoshdarn disappearing (before I showed up) was what motivated ishAdmin setting up his server in the first place. Of course, it was 'Ish and BoC that got me hooked originally. :)

The other servers, I believe, for the most part, stayed relatively empty, even if their owners were well-known people. I don't remember seeing players on the penguin or spacezone servers, but that could've just been the time of day I was playing. When I played, the servers that were always busy were Breakfast and Lobster (at the top of the list), then after that it was a tossup between Tiger's and the World servers. I think there was a period where out of 50 players, 40 of them were on Breakfast and/or Lobster servers pretty much every time I looked at the list. That would make it a "big" server in my book: lots of players when most other servers had to whine and beg people to play on theirs.

Hell, when I first setup Breakfast in Hell, I was just testing and the server filled up in like five minutes. :) (I think it had a different name then, but still started with Breakfast)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
akira
Core Dumper

Post by akira »

Cybertrench was the sudden death server. One of my favourites - sadly corvus corax left a long time ago.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Yeah, the original Armagoshdarn was gone by the time I started playing, but there were some clones I saw early on, like the 'Yet Another Goshdarn Clone.' I remember Armagoshdarnish being its own thing, a derivative of regular 'goshdarn, and I definitely played there in '05—I have a specific memory of playing with the real player_one. I remember trying to get Breakfast regulars to join me there, too. Maybe even all the way into the early Shrunkland days.

I recall there usually being activity in the Spacezone servers (unless I'm confusing it with another), probably less so Penguin, though probably not quite as heavily populated as Swampland, for instance. And they were mostly Euros, which might account for the play time discrepancy. Although, even in that respect, a server like Swampland was packed virtually round the clock. So was Microbusshitty.

akira wrote:Cybertrench was the sudden death server. One of my favourites - sadly corvus corax left a long time ago.
I wish he had posted all his configs and scripts and stuff. I don't even remember what the physics were like, but the sudden death was fun as hell.
Monkey
Match Winner

Post by Monkey »

Just to clarify, the /dev/null on these forums is definitely not swiss. swiss is registered on these forums as jedi and sometimes plays as /dev/null/h4ck and other similar looking names, which is where the confusion has come from.
Playing since December 2006
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

Yes, thank you for being the seventh person to point that out. :roll:

'Course, all Gonzap had to do was look at dev's join date and that should've been enough to clue him in. (I'm just assuming this "swiss" is a newer player. I've never knowingly encountered him, or cared if I did.)

Odd, spellcheck doesn't accept "should've," though it gives both "would've" and "could've" as alternatives. :?
Monkey
Match Winner

Post by Monkey »

Swiss is not a new player, he has been playing for years, so looking at the join date may not have been enough. Anyway, enough about swiss...
Playing since December 2006
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Titanoboa »

On the other hand /dev/null's location could've been a clue, "Location: Chicago-ish". As swiss is, well, swiss. Ok, enough now ^^
Slov
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Slov »

And also, dev/null's perfect english should have been enough to know it's not swiss. but yeah enough of swiss now.
.pG (only like, the best clan ever)

my mixtape fire tho
Gonzap
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Gonzap »

MY GOD OK I HAD A MISTAKE, SUE ME
Slov
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Slov »

Gonzap wrote:MY GOD OK I HAD A MISTAKE, SUE ME
xD my post wasn't srs
.pG (only like, the best clan ever)

my mixtape fire tho
Goodygumdrops
Round Winner

Post by Goodygumdrops »

If you really want to apologize to people, apologize to them individually in pm or something. This public apology nonsense just seems lazy, trite, and attention-grabbing.
The once and future "I told you so."
tbm-
Average Program

Post by tbm- »

Lucifer wrote:Did I forget anybody? This would have been '04-'05ish.
There are two more servers i used to consider big (always with people playing): armagetron.NIXDA.de and The ring community.
Arnour

Post by Arnour »

So you are back to normal. Hey you are a good member dude....which you showed up by your apology.