Re: End of the world 2012

Post by Vogue »

Global warming? HAHAHAHAHA.
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Post by LOVER$BOY »

LOL!

I look at this topic and laugh now. So silly, ah well.

I gave up arguing my way around this completely silly topic. No point in it, really. Much better spend my time getting my studies up. Exams in 5 weeks and everything.

@Phytotron
Well the way you posted your first reply had a sound of a an angry man raring to pull out his AK-47 :P

Sorry to disappoint you Phytotron but my English has a terrible turn when I start arguing :P It's not like I suck at English (how can I when I've been studying English for only 5 years). Still, It's not too bad :)

Anyway, I still got 4 years to go in my degree, so I'm sure I'll improve on my skill very soon :D I already had a work experience for teaching Maths and the Year 12 students loved me. Not sure it went well with Year 8 students, it's more like we argued about who is good at playing games a lot :P
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

Oh, are you German? I don't know what it is, but the way your sentences are structured somehow leads me to think that. As someone who started posting here when he was in Year 9, I can attest to the fact that one can easily improve his language skills on a forum like ours.
Last edited by Word on Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Post by LOVER$BOY »

LOL!

That's the first someone thought I was a Germen. So far I had people think I was French, Japanese, Chinese, Canadian, African... Man, how many more languages do I need to go through before they find out what language I fit in? :P

Anyway Word, my style of wording my sentences is actually a side affect of being a story writer. Every now and then I write chapters to a book of mine and post it online on Facebook for everyone to read. Most enjoy while others wonder if I should publish them. Still, it's not a bad case considering my speaking style and writing styles are linked with story writing :D

Anyway, these days most tronners only make an account on the forums so that they can log into the online servers. So, it's not like globalization is stopping, rather we are having fewer people out of the majority of those having registered an account, actually post something here.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

LOVER$BOY wrote:@Phytotron
Well the way you posted your first reply had a sound of a an angry man raring to pull out his AK-47 :P
I still fail to see how you infer that, in either thread. The 'hyperspeed' comment was meant to be deadpan (if you still don't get it, look up 'hyperspeed'). And my first comment in this thread should have expressed disbelief and dismay, if anything.
Vogue wrote:Global warming? HAHAHAHAHA.
Whether you've legitimately added "deluded ignoramus" to "sociopath," or you're simply trolling as usual—not to suggest that those things are mutually exclusive—it's equally failing.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Phytotron wrote:
Vogue wrote:Global warming? HAHAHAHAHA.
Whether you've legitimately added "deluded ignoramus" to "sociopath," or you're simply trolling as usual—not to suggest that those things are mutually exclusive—it's equally failing.
She thinks the Moon landing was a hoax too, but who can blame her for not knowing about global warming? The climate misinformation machine has essentially won the war and the common man is pretty much ignorant of the massive problems we are faced with. Believe it or not, I was a huge climate denier at one time and acted much the same as liz. This ignorance was even reinforced by teachers in college who also thought the whole idea was bunk. It took about a decade of personal research to slowly realize that "whoa, what the crap? this is some bad trouble we are in!" Of course, back when I was younger there were still a lot of unanswered questions. Today, the situation is so obvious that denying climate change is based more on pride and mental inflexibility, like those who hold out on evolution for religious reasons. But hopefully more people will take the time to look into it because we need everyone's help. :/

Here is an audio clip I think is really powerful when talking about how we know Climate Change is real: Neil deGrasse Tyson On Global Warming
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Well, for the people talking here, I think we've proven who reads over the thread looking for further understanding and who doesn't reread the thread ever.

Word, you win. Congratulations. **** everybody else. :)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Vogue
Match Winner

Post by Vogue »

Sine is right- I believe the moon landing was a hoax. I also don't believe in black people, and I'm still questioning if the vikings ever existed.

Now on to the subject of global warming, which is far more interesting than any end of the world herpyderp. I think it's important to define what it means to us before we start calling eachother deluded sociopaths. Are you referring to a man-made global warming, that we are the cause of the climate changing.. or was it always changing, before the first human ever appeared on this earth, and it's eventually gonna destroy us?

I have no issue admitting the climate is changing, but I don't believe all the crap people claim regarding global warming and how it's gonna destroy us all and cause storms and other natural disasters. :roll: I'd like to see proof, and Neil isn't it. (but if we're throwing links anyway https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtevF4B4RtQ)
Word

Post by Word »

Liz, you're Dutch. If the current estimations are correct, and the poles melt nearly twice as fast as they were believed to, then it won't take long until you need to find a different place to live. Of course, your government already tries to prepare, but considering the fact that humanity never had to deal with something like this (to my knowledge), it's still no guarantee.

http://www.opednews.com/articles/Leadin ... 4-915.html
Vogue
Match Winner

Post by Vogue »

It's crazy how we're being protected by a giant dam, but I've been thinking of migrating to a different country anyway so whatevs.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Vogue wrote:Are you referring to a man-made global warming, that we are the cause of the climate changing.. or was it always changing, before the first human ever appeared on this earth, and it's eventually gonna destroy us?
The current science points almost exclusively to humans as the cause of the rapid spike in global temperatures.
Vogue wrote:I have no issue admitting the climate is changing, but I don't believe all the crap people claim regarding global warming and how it's gonna destroy us all and cause storms and other natural disasters.
Some of this is still uncertain, but every day that goes by provides more data and thus more accurate predictions. In the past , those predictions have varied from "not much change" to "severe changes." Unfortunately, today it appears that many prediction trends are leaning toward the severe end as new data comes in. If you want to look at a list of current weather events that coincide nicely with climate change predictions, look to the World Meteorological Organization. On this page there is an informative brochure.

I had the climate change exchange recently on another forum. I'll paraphrase my viewpoint here:

Fact: The planet has been warmer in the past. Fact: A warm planet is a good planet. The problem we have is that this rate of warming has never been observed and it's not known if enough species can survive without a major ecological collapse (our ecosystem is already heavily taxed by pollution, mind you). It's not clear if food production will shift to regions ill-prepared for farming. It is not clear if the already sluggish global economy can survive repeated billion-dollar natural disasters.

This is not just about severe weather. Take this possible scenario: if a major food producing country finds its land unsuitable for farming as climate shifts fertile lands across the neighbor's border, do they just go take that land? If those new lands are not ready for farming and those countries don't have an agricultural infrastructure, will we see widespread famine when the next severe drought occurs? How does this increase the chance of global scale war?

So you see, it's not just about global warming or weather events, but how all of us are interconnected and completely unprepared to handle the future. However, one thing has become perfectly clear: The window to stop climate change past us by years and years ago. At this point it's all about damage control and minimizing suffering for all species as the world's temperature increases with no sign of relief in the future.

EDIT: Forgot about this... helpful graphic too.
Why Climate Change Denial Is Just Hot Air
Word

Post by Word »

Another problem arises when countries are unprepared for the exodus that will take place once coastal communities realize what will happen to them if they don't move. sure, you can try to move to a different country before that, but who knows if it's still able to nurture the people who already inhabit it? In the worst case, nationalism could flare back up and the countries that always considered themselves stable democracies are confronted with angry mobs on the streets that don't give a crap about politics when they're starving to death.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

This comes down to one simple question: Are you going to accept science—as a discipline, in its entirety, not as some postmodernistic "just another view;" or, are you going to choose to believe in self-satisfying superstition? Because that's what denial of human-caused global warming and climate change boils down to: ego-based prejudicial belief. It's no different than believing that vaccines cause autism, that the earth is flat and the center of the universe, that there are fairies in the bramble, or that the earth would magically end on December 21st, 2012.
sinewav wrote:it's not known if enough species can survive without a major ecological collapse
No, it's well-known and already occurring. As I mentioned, the sixth mass extinction event is underway. Ordinary extinction rate is roughly 1 per million species per year, with the same rate of introduction of new species. The current extinction rate is at least 1000 per million per year, comparable to that of the dinosaurs. The causes can be summed up and remembered using the acronym HIPPO: Habitat destruction, Introduction of invasive/exotic species, Pollution, Population growth, and Overconsumption. These factors would be enough, but the sums effects is greater than its parts when you add the fact that global warming is attributable to all of these in one way or another.

Finally, I leave you with this, from one of my favorite cartoonists:
Attachments
Nick Anderson - Save the Twinkie.jpg
Last edited by Phytotron on Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fippmam
Round Winner

Post by Fippmam »

Global warming hysteria!
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Fippmam wrote:Global warming hysteria!
Not enough of it, if that is what you are saying. It's the single greatest challenge Humankind has ever faced, and most of the people in the United States at least are completely ignorant to it. If there is one thing in the world where hysteria is justified, it's global warming. Get educated.