Windows 8 General Discussion

Post by Hoax »

Anyone using 8 here? What's it like?
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Re: windows 8

Post by kyle »

Hoax wrote:Anyone using 8 here? What's it like?
I have it on a virtual machine, I have not touched it in weeks. I feel that the OS is an attempt to copy what Apple is doing which in return will screw over armagetron for windows 9 as OpenGL, what armagetron used for video, will probably not be supported after Windows 8. Only way to get around this, avoid getting a windows 8 PC if possible.

Now onto the actual interface. In one word Horrible. Now let me explain. The goal is to have all programs open up just like they would on a phone, however anyone coming into this OS must learn a lot in order to use it. For instance, to close a window (or your desktop) you must click at the top of it and drag it to the bottom. You can scroll through each window easily with the windows key (Tux key in my case). It is also hard to figure out how to shut it down. If you don't know the key command (windows key + i) to bring up a certain sidebar, they have multiple sidebars, the only way I found to shut down was to logout and then start to log back in.

Overall it is much more drastic change going from windows 7 to windows 8 than it was to go from windows XP to windows vista. So all you windows XP fans, You may want to look into Linux or look into buying a used windows 7 Computer.
delinquent
Match Winner

Re: Windows 8 General Discussion

Post by delinquent »

Or, you could look at this.
Moofie
Core Dumper

Post by Moofie »

I have it, honestly, I think they did a good job on it.
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Post by LOVER$BOY »

I haven't tried it yet but from hearing other people comment about it, it sounds complicated than before.
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

It's a beautiful system, covered by a shoddy initial interface. Once you get past that, it's as close to flawless as Microsoft have ever been.
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Post by LOVER$BOY »

Well, as long as it doesn't complicate my usage I'm happy with it :)
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Post by LOVER$BOY »

I just installed Windows 8 in my Virtual Box and tested tron on it.

I have to admit, tron seemed to glitch every now and then but because it was Virtual Box, I'm sure that caused the problem. I have no real clue if if the same would occur if Windows 8 were to be the main system.

BTW kyle, when I looked at the interface, I got the sudden thought that I was looking at an X-Box screen... My friend has an XBOX and I play with him a lot. So, looking at this reminded me of how X-Box's interface looked like.
Tobe
Round Winner

Post by Tobe »

LOVER$BOY wrote:BTW kyle, when I looked at the interface, I got the sudden thought that I was looking at an X-Box screen... My friend has an XBOX and I play with him a lot. So, looking at this reminded me of how X-Box's interface looked like.
They do look the same. Actually, they are intended to look the same. Its all apart of the "Entertainment Experience."

The "Metro UI" concept was first released for the Zune HD, then redesigned into the, then, new Windows 7 phones. Microsoft later introduced a similar UI to its Xbox. Now, Windows RT and 8 use the Metro UI as well. Windows 8 is made to work with touch capable PCs, which is why the OS is like it is. But, as delinquent states, Metro UI is apparently able to be disabled and look like Windows 7. Now, Zune is called Xbox Music, and Xbox has become very integrated with Windows PCs, Tablet, and Phones.
<-- Proud co-leader of Rogue Tronners
Hoax
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Hoax »

Alright thanks for the insight, this getting split I feared a load of fanboy posts
Pretty much sums up what else I've seen & it doesn't look like it's worth the effort
Goodygumdrops
Round Winner

Post by Goodygumdrops »

Hoax wrote:it doesn't look like it's worth the effort
You say that about everything, though.
The once and future "I told you so."
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

It is a bit of a hassle finding stable drivers to work at the moment. Stick with XP or 'nix
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Post by LOVER$BOY »

Windows 7 isn't that too bad :)
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

I amend my original statement: After trying to get Win8 to run smoothly for over 11 hours, I've gone back to seven.

**** you, Microsoft, **** you.

I'm even considering going all out 'nix.
Fippmam
Round Winner

Post by Fippmam »

I'm considering selling my 23 inch monitor, and getting a touch screen monitor for win 8. Those things are like double the price of regular monitors, so I was wondering if anyone has had positive experiences with metro/win8, and Windows 8 certified touch monitors.