..D.o.g.f.i.g.h.t..

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
TheIsaiahCC
On Lightcycle Grid

..D.o.g.f.i.g.h.t..

Post by TheIsaiahCC »

Ok guys, we need to do something about this server. The high rubber, unlimited brakes, and respawn attracts nubs. And then they learn how the other nubs play, and then they see dogfight on another server like "6lu loose dogfight" and they are like, "Hey I play that!" and then when they get there and we explain to them those are not the rules, they get all stingy and ignore us.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Re: ..D.o.g.f.i.g.h.t..

Post by Z-Man »

You're right! Something needs to be done.
1. Stop claiming the completely generic term "Dogfight" for your thing only. You have "Open" and "Loose" already.
2. Ditch playing by arbitrary defined out-of-game rules everyone has to agree to. This does not work on public servers, period. And it's not the fault of the players randomly joining.
We do have settings enforcing open play. If you don't like them, help improve them.
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Post by LOVER$BOY »

Z-Man wrote:You're right! Something needs to be done.
1. Stop claiming the completely generic term "Dogfight" for your thing only. You have "Open" and "Loose" already.
2. Ditch playing by arbitrary defined out-of-game rules everyone has to agree to. This does not work on public servers, period. And it's not the fault of the players randomly joining.
We do have settings enforcing open play. If you don't like them, help improve them.
I love it when Z-Man makes awesome replies! :D
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Everything Z-Man said, plus, stop calling people "nubs" or "noobs," and whatever other variation, for any reason.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

That, too (wanted to edit my post with it, but forgot, then there already was a reply). Especially if you're referring to normal people who expect videogames to take care of all the rules for them.

And now that I think about it, of the two terms, "Loose" is by far the better one. "Open", when used in a server name, suggests entirely the wrong thing to the uninitiated. "You're invited!" it says. WRONG. Keep out, nab. learn2play.

And on a more constructive note, how about this loose-play-enforcement game ruleset:
1. Rubber only regenerates while you are between two walls, one of which needs to be an enemy wall.
2. Additionally, you must be going in the same direction as said enemy wall. (No "Backdooring", again. Eww. Horrible choice of words. Ok, coming from the one who considered "Mates" a good name for the friends list, that probably does not mean too much :) ) Else, no rubber for you.
3. Additionally additionally, if the two walls are of different type, the enemy wall needs to be the younger one. (No slingshotting on pre-built enemy walls.) Else, no rubber.
'course, with at least one of those rules activated, you start out with maxed out rubber. No first chance sealing. And rubber should probably be used up constantly so whatever you collected while tunneling gets lost quickly after you make it out alive.

Thoughts? Should be less invasive than the mindistance based one. One problem spot would be the initial trap, the one trying to make it out has not rubbered up yet and essentially has to beat a zero rubber seal with also zero rubber.
Moofie
Core Dumper

Post by Moofie »

That sounds interesting... I'd like to try it. Do you have the settings for it? I'm able to put a server up.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Nope, it needs coding first.
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Post by /dev/null »

I might have misunderstood you, but it seems like those rules could be pretty easily abused to camp and not let anyone in. Just my two cents.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

1. Nope. Purely among your own walls, you don't get new rubber. The guy coming in to get you will.
2. So what? Survivor scoring off, kill scoring on.
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Post by /dev/null »

Right on, I did read it wrong then, I had a feeling I was.
TheIsaiahCC
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by TheIsaiahCC »

Seems like it might work. Although messing up while trapping in the beginning would be deadly. Also, it would kill mazing. Or at least it would be extremely difficult.
TheIsaiahCC
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by TheIsaiahCC »

Z-Man wrote:1. Stop claiming the completely generic term "Dogfight" for your thing only. You have "Open" and "Loose" already.
I wasn't claiming it. And I'm talking about them coming into Loose servers and stabbing. Although I don't really care anymore. They pretty much go in there, die, then rage quit.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

Although messing up while trapping in the beginning would be deadly. Also, it would kill mazing. Or at least it would be extremely difficult.
Careful here, "open" idiots claim they're better just because they think 'open' mazing is more difficult. Take a look at this: http://forums3.armagetronad.net/viewtop ... =1&t=19728
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

TheIsaiahCC wrote:They pretty much go in there, die, then rage quit.
That's half the origin of "open" play right there.
TheIsaiahCC
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by TheIsaiahCC »

Word wrote:Careful here, "open" idiots claim they're better...
I'm not claiming anything. -_- I didn't know you guys hated loose with such a passion. I don't know why it's such a big deal. It's the only thing I play. It's just fun. Not saying it's better or worse than anything.