Server owners, please avoid creating too many "spec slots"

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Server owners, please avoid creating too many "spec slots"

Post by epsy »

Server owners, please be mindful not to use a combination of team settings and client slots which would create an absurd playable spot/total slots ratio.

Else we get 16 players in a server that lets 8 of them play, and instead of having 16 people play, 8 are playing and 8 are desperately trying to snoop the spot of whoever leaves. While it falls indeed on players to choose where to play wisely, this does not help at all, especially considering the amount of playable slots is usually not in the server title.

I personally recommend you keep two slots for spectators and no more, competition servers aside.
nux
Round Winner

Re: Server owners, please avoid creating too many "spec slot

Post by nux »

Agreed, i always thought it was unbelievable stupid that 5 people would rather camp an already full server instead of starting in a new one.
There's a difference between knowing your shit, and knowing you're shit. Grammar does matter.
breeze
Average Program

Post by breeze »

Double agreed. Although, it's tough as a player because no one wants to go play by themselves, even though there are people spectating in other servers who do want to play. Especially in servers where it won't let you really play solo, like classic sumo. I too have found it odd that people crowd one server and basically refuse to go to another one where they could actually play.
Moofie
Core Dumper

Post by Moofie »

Triple agree :P it's always really annoying.
Clutch
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Clutch »

Whats weird about that...People want to play with their friends, so theyd rather wait and still chat with them then have a stale game in another server

-edit-
But I agree about having fewer spec slots. In Skytower the past few days there have been more people in spec then there are playing. Bit ridiculous
Boxed
ElmosWorld
Match Winner

Post by ElmosWorld »

What's wrong with 6 people all spamming create new team to get a spot in a sumo server? It's another aspect of the game!
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

Split off a bunch of posts. Snipplets actually related to this thread:
delinquent wrote:BTW I agree, but also I agree with keeping a few slots open so that people can observe and learn from that observation.
Kijutsu wrote:Anyways, I don't agree with epsy's words. Like Clutch said, people stay to chat with their friends, try to ask specs if they want to switch servers and they probably won't. You'll only be forcing them to do things if you lower max clients.
Soul wrote:Anyway, I don't think making a spec limit is necessary,
Phytotron wrote:Also, I agree with epsy. A game isn't a chat client.