a call for ideal future conditions for a year from now

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
Outside Corner Grinder

a call for ideal future conditions for a year from now

Post by 2020 »

Like a call for papers in an academic conference -- a call for descriptions of an ideal situation for arma in a year's time.

Adopt the methodology of a back-casting thought experiment: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thought_ex ... ackcasting. Consider first what the ideal conditions may be in a year. Then in a season (by end of spring perhaps). Then in a month or a week.

Be idealistic enough to find the courage to propose something remarkable, and be realistic enough to explore tentatively how this may come about.

This is not an invitation to criticise other people's thinking, or even to add to it with constructive criticism. It is a call for individuals to inspire, to explore, to propose.

If individuals which to add to their suggestions, please do so sequentially so we can see a development of thinking rather than editing a past post.

Another post will deal with reflections and judgements, and the award for some kind of prize or action by the community.
hold the line
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Re: a call for ideal future conditions for a year from now

Post by Word »

Ask Jeff Bridges to advertise the game.

("Sorry fans, there isn't a Big-Lebowski-themed game yet so you have to put up with this.")
Last edited by Word on Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Post by /dev/null »

I've seen more coherent markov chains.
Outside Corner Grinder

Post by 2020 »

and i've seen more social engagement in a barrel of crabs
hold the line
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

I'm already a little surprised that nobody complained about those premises that prevent the topic from being fruitful.
This is not an invitation to criticise other people's thinking, or even to add to it with constructive criticism. It is a call for individuals to inspire, to explore, to propose.
If individuals which to add to their suggestions, please do so sequentially so we can see a development of thinking rather than editing a past post.
(Yeah, I guess I'm sorta criticizing you now, but at the same time that's the only way I could possibly help you.)
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

We've already established that 2020 believes he should have the special right to never be disagreed with—even constructive criticism he rejects. Moreover, he wants moderator action to support that. And it's not the first time; this goes back years. He believes he's a person of special importance in this game, and the "community" is just his plaything, a means to a pipe dream end.

One would think special rights would go against his whole anarchic utopian pseudophilosophy. But that's the irony of anarchy. It always will lead to warlords, kings, or dictatorships. He wants so badly to believe in the Noble Savage (techno-savage, perhaps) and reject the Leviathan. Yet, he also wants to be a Lord and have everyone else only pledge fealty and bring forth their banners behind him. Do not bruise his honour!
K-Yo
Round Winner

Post by K-Yo »

You are pretty annoying Phytotron...
K-Yo
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

K-Yo wrote:You are pretty annoying Phytotron...
True. But in this case, he also is mostly right. Nitpicks: I don't think he explicitly asked for explicit moderator support for never getting criticised. Of course, he complained at least in one specific instance, and we did offer him explicit moderator support for the LadleMoney project.

Anyway, on topic or get out.

I want the Star Trek TNG society: Money is abandoned, people work because of the satisfaction that gives.

To get there, we first need to get rid of most mundane work. It's very unlikely people would work as garbagemen purely for the satisfaction.

As a further, independent step towards that goal, before getting rid of money, I'd like to see a minumum, state-sponsored income for everyone, no questions asked; everything you earn (taxed higher than it is now, of course, to pay for the minimum income) is yours.

How does that relate? Even at that stage, OS developers like us could just quit their jobs and live from the state money, padded a bit by donations and such.
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

Z-Man, you took the words right out of my mouth.

The idea of the whole human race working to better itself as opposed to working for minimum wage is a very idealistic view, but I don't think it's that un-attainable. Considering we, as a race, are in a stage of considerable technological advancement (I have an idea on a form of engine based on particle distribution, which isn't that far from the impulse engines depicted in Star Trek), and I imagine that we are comparatively close to space exploration on a massive scale, the benefits of a society without money, based on work done in exchange for food, goods and services (it would take much more than my post's allowed length to describe the way in which I envisage this kind of society working) and a general motivation for advancement in ways that directly benefit us. It would also (like star trek) eradicate poverty and simple diseases, and equalise everyone, in terms of self worth.

There are those who speculate that Gene Roddenberry created Star Trek as a means of teaching society how they should attempt to develop. I don't think this is too far from the truth, particularly as there seems to be a moral behind most episodes of the TNG TV series.

Speaking as a nerd-level Star Trek Fan
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

yes-we-kahn.gif
USS RAVE.gif
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

I approve (and heartily applaud!)
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

How about as a way to get rid of the most mundane work, we adopt a slave class? We could try importing Russian or Chinese brides, for example.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

Replicators. It's all about the Replicators.
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

No, it's all about living on the moon.
Kijutsu
Match Winner

Post by Kijutsu »

i feel like you never really get anything done but we get these motivational and inspiring threads from you anyway

is there something i'm missing? something i can do? something you're doing that i'm not looking at? i don't really understand your purpose, it sounds like pseudointellectual babbling but i actually think you're cool so prove me wrong pls